• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Held Named One Of Rivals Top 25 Recruiters For The Class Of 2019

Lets enjoy him while he is here. Coach Held is an Up an' Comer and it won't be long before he is off to bigger things. Much deserved for a guy who works as hard as he does.
I think Walters leaves soon to go back out west. If that happens I see held becoming the OC.

I think Walters leaves soon to go back out west. If that happens I see held becoming the OC.

I think Walters leaves for a G5 HC job soon.

I'm really interested to see who is in Frost's rolodex. I know he loves his staff and it was smart and beneficial for them to all come to Nebraska and the continuity of having them all stick around now for at least two years in Lincoln is good for building this program up but...

Let's be honest, all of those guys weren't on his 'A' list. There certainly were several coaches he'd have liked to put on his staff that weren't leaving P5 or possibly NFL assistant gigs for UCF. His options really open up now that he's at a place like Nebraska and can offer a raise to basically anyone he targets to join his staff from here on out.

As for the eventuality of replacing Walters, I could see several paths to take. Since Frost will likely always call the plays, I could certainly see him giving Held the raise and promotion. It'd probably even help with recruiting. Held recruits several positions now as it is, but he could really be a more prominent influence when he carries the OC title. OL, WR and TE prospects' ears would perk up a bit more when the "OC" is selling them on the offense a bit more than when the "RB" coach is.

I could also see him giving the title to Verduzco and then going out and finding an ace recruiting WR coach.

When Frost came to Nebraska, my personal philosophy of I were him would have been to go after a bright offensive mind who had a background in a system like yours but maybe a little different. Someone who could come in and add a few wrinkles or bring some different ideas. Frost has said all of his assistants have a say in the game plan and the playbook. I thought he should have looked at Kendal Briles and Rhett Lashlee in particular and mentioned that last December. Briles is an elite recruiter with extensive ties to Texas and coordinated a Baylor offense that was rivaling Oregon for the title of nations best when Frost was there. He was at FAU with Lane Kiffin at the time. He'd have been an easy hire. He went to Houston instead and just recently was hired at Florida State. Briles signed a three-year deal and will make $1 million annually in Tallahassee, so unless Taggart gets fired (possible) he is likely not going to make a lateral move any time soon. Lashlee is straight from the Gus Malzahn system, having coached with him at Auburn, Arkansas and even on the HS level in Arkansas before Malzahn got his break. In fact, Lashlee was a VERY good HS QB who was coached by Malzahn. It's an offense I like and a system Frost has taken pieces from. Lashlee is currently at SMU, where he'll be working with another reputable offensive mind in Sonny Dykes. He'd be someone i'd target.

I'm really interested to see who is in Frost's rolodex. I know he loves his staff and it was smart and beneficial for them to all come to Nebraska and the continuity of having them all stick around now for at least two years in Lincoln is good for building this program up but...

Let's be honest, all of those guys weren't on his 'A' list. There certainly were several coaches he'd have liked to put on his staff that weren't leaving P5 or possibly NFL assistant gigs for UCF. His options really open up now that he's at a place like Nebraska and can offer a raise to basically anyone he targets to join his staff from here on out.

As for the eventuality of replacing Walters, I could see several paths to take. Since Frost will likely always call the plays, I could certainly see him giving Held the raise and promotion. It'd probably even help with recruiting. Held recruits several positions now as it is, but he could really be a more prominent influence when he carries the OC title. OL, WR and TE prospects' ears would perk up a bit more when the "OC" is selling them on the offense a bit more than when the "RB" coach is.

I could also see him giving the title to Verduzco and then going out and finding an ace recruiting WR coach.

When Frost came to Nebraska, my personal philosophy of I were him would have been to go after a bright offensive mind who had a background in a system like yours but maybe a little different. Someone who could come in and add a few wrinkles or bring some different ideas. Frost has said all of his assistants have a say in the game plan and the playbook. I thought he should have looked at Kendal Briles and Rhett Lashlee in particular and mentioned that last December. Briles is an elite recruiter with extensive ties to Texas and coordinated a Baylor offense that was rivaling Oregon for the title of nations best when Frost was there. He was at FAU with Lane Kiffin at the time. He'd have been an easy hire. He went to Houston instead and just recently was hired at Florida State. Briles signed a three-year deal and will make $1 million annually in Tallahassee, so unless Taggart gets fired (possible) he is likely not going to make a lateral move any time soon. Lashlee is straight from the Gus Malzahn system, having coached with him at Auburn, Arkansas and even on the HS level in Arkansas before Malzahn got his break. In fact, Lashlee was a VERY good HS QB who was coached by Malzahn. It's an offense I like and a system Frost has taken pieces from. Lashlee is currently at SMU, where he'll be working with another reputable offensive mind in Sonny Dykes. He'd be someone i'd target.

Matt Lubick is a name I heard tossed around last year before we were 100% certain that Walters was coming along with the rest of the staff.

Guess we'll find out sooner than expected

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back