• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Heisman 2012: Rex Burkhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe my memory is faulty (OK, not maybe), but I don't recall Mark Ingram being all that flashy at Alabama. He had very good numbers, but not a Johnny Rogers or Eric Crouch heart-stopping breakaways.

Maybe my memory is faulty (OK, not maybe), but I don't recall Mark Ingram being all that flashy at Alabama. He had very good numbers, but not a Johnny Rogers or Eric Crouch heart-stopping breakaways.

see bolded part

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MyBraska

see bolded part

Your point?? Ingram at NU or some other non-SEC school wouldn't have won the Heisman?

probably not...remember Alabama was number 1 and won the National Championship.....I honestly believe if you would have put him on Stanford and Gerhardt on Alabama that year with the EXACT same numbers, Gerhardt would have won

probably not...remember Alabama was number 1 and won the National Championship.....I honestly believe if you would have put him on Stanford and Gerhardt on Alabama that year with the EXACT same numbers, Gerhardt would have won

Maybe so. I agree that the publicity accompanying the top team helps. All three of our Heismans were from teams playing for the NC. It would be interesting to see how many Heismans have gone to players on non-contenders.

Last edited:
I'd obviously love to see him just get invited to the ceremony. He won't win but he will be getting lots of other awards if he even moderately improves on last season, which would be pretty difficult considering the number of offensive weapons we have returning. If Taylor can make defenses account for his throwing ability then all of our RB's should see big stats.

Rex's biggest strength -- his blue collar work ethic -- is also his greatest weakness, in terms of Heisman showboating. The voters tend to elect guys with lots of highlight reel material. Think back to Eric Crouch and his 95-yard gashing of the Mizzou defense, or the Black 41 Flash play against Oklahoma.

Rex doesn't get sexy highlight reels because he just pounds the ball for 6 yards over and over and over. He wears down defenses, but you won't see him making a ton of video game runs for 75 yards.

The Heisman goes to the most Xbox-style player, not the guy who fundamentally changes the game. Just ask Ndamukong Suh about that one.

Sad thing is, Suh was an "Xbox-style" player. Without him in the middle I strongly believe we loose the 3 other games that year, including OU.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MyBraska

Your point?? Ingram at NU or some other non-SEC school wouldn't have won the Heisman?

Mark Ingram didn't win that Heisman, Alabama won that Heisman. Mark Ingram was the 3rd best back that year. Toby Gerhart of Stanford and C.J. Spiller of Clemson both out performed Bama's boy.

But truthfully we all know who should have won the Heisman that year. He was so dominant they compared his individual stats to the stats of the entire OU, TCU, and UT defensive line. Problem is, he played on the wrong side of the football.

If we could only put Rex's heart and leadership into Lawrence Phillips body we would have a mega back. :Biggrin:

Last edited:
Some of Rex's best runs are 8-9 yards when 99% of college backs would get 3. He has a knack for using his blocks well and finding daylight. I love the way he runs.

Exactly.......Rex's best attributes are his vision, agility and pad height which = great production. Sadly, that isn't going to get him looked at seriously. Gerhart should have won the Heisman but lack of highlights are what lost it for him, period.

End of story.......but on another note. Those that doubt Rex can be productive at the next level are in for a surprise......more and more teams want production between the tackles and be a complete player, blocking, receiving, running and ball security. Rex will get a shot at the NFL and wouldn't surprise me to see him stick in the right team and be productive.

Rex will be on TV enough and he's certainly consistant enough to gain the attention of Heisman voters. I don't know the record for the number of carries for a season but I'd love to see him break that record. It would mean two things, first the Huskers are dominating opponents and second Rex is getting the national recognition a kid like him deserves.

Of course these kinds of awards are based on very subjective qualities. Looking at some of the past Heisman winners, and some of those who missed out, I'd be interested to see what you think Rex lacks. Of course, a few spectacular plays this season will be necessary, but do you think there are qualities that he lacks?

He is not a QB well not all of the time anyway. If Frazier did not win it I doubt Burkhead will. But I would vote for him early and often if given the opportunity. He is a quality man and a darn good football player. he will live well and prosper if he gets the award or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back