• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Heinrich Haarberg

I think McCaffrey is less likely to leave than Smothers if he gets beat out. I just think a ton of schools offered him as something other than QB, but he came here because that’s where we wanted him. I’d agree if you can’t beat out Smothers you may not be an NFL QB, but Joe Burrow makes every kid think they just had the wrong guy in front of them now.

I agree with it not being as certain if McCaffrey is the #2. But the problem I’m referencing still remains, you are losing a QB.
Just a comment on McCaffrey. I thought he looked dang good at QB last year, even though it was in limited play. I sure as heck hope HCSF doesn't play favorites with his hand picked QB (or any position) and play a QB that shouldn't be playing. I guess with the pressure HCSF is under, and the "not so good" results so far, he had better hitch his 22 best horses to the wagon and not have a few ponies in there cause he likes them more than someone who is actually better, even if slightly. Not saying he does this but we all saw some instances last year where AM should probably of been sat for a drive or 10.

Just a comment on McCaffrey. I thought he looked dang good at QB last year, even though it was in limited play. I sure as heck hope HCSF doesn't play favorites with his hand picked QB (or any position) and play a QB that shouldn't be playing. I guess with the pressure HCSF is under, and the "not so good" results so far, he had better hitch his 22 best horses to the wagon and not have a few ponies in there cause he likes them more than someone who is actually better, even if slightly. Not saying he does this but we all saw some instances last year where AM should probably of been sat for a drive or 10.
I think he looked great. The issue is he didn't complete a pass from in the pocket (unless we count the pitch forward stuff on jet sweeps) and he had a limited playbook. He is probably our most dynamic guy back there, but Martinez for sure is the better all-around QB right now. With us shifting to more downhill with Mills, I think that benefits Martinez. If we stayed with east/west stuff McCaffrey may have a punchers chance.

I still believe this is Martinez's show heading into Purdue, then all bets are off. He has to have a better year than 2019.

Son of a buck ....... we needed spring ball baaaaaaaaaaaaad! To sort this crap out. I wonder if some of the guys are throwing the ball around? Running routes and such in their free time. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Frost has 4 hand picked quarterbacks on his roster right now, one who has followed him across the country. The entire offense looked a step off last year and the quarterback, too. A lot fewer people calling for back ups at the other positions than at the quarterback spot. Nature of the game, I suppose, for QBs. But not a lot of chatter has come out in the background that AM was the wrong pick from those who hear whispers in the locker room.

The whole offense needs a tune up. 8/11 starters could have been justifiably squatted for a drive or two in most of the games last year.

Frost has 4 hand picked quarterbacks on his roster right now, one who has followed him across the country. The entire offense looked a step off last year and the quarterback, too. A lot fewer people calling for back ups at the other positions than at the quarterback spot. Nature of the game, I suppose, for QBs. But not a lot of chatter has come out in the background that AM was the wrong pick from those who hear whispers in the locker room.

The whole offense needs a tune up. 8/11 starters could have been justifiably squatted for a drive or two in most of the games last year.
Agreed. O shouldn't be a problem this year but it seems we are snake bitten. ALL QB's back, ALL starting O-Line, almost all WR's, ALL TE's.....should be good. At least should know the plays by now. Plus our Center should be able to have good snaps a majority of the time.

Last edited:

Agreed. O shouldn't be a problem this year but it seems we are snake bitten. ALL QB's back, ALL starting O-Line, almost all WR's, ALL TE's.....should be good. At least should know the plays by now. Plus our Center should be able to have good snaps a majority of the time.

And moving starters around the Oline (potentially) to make way for an even better top 6. If OL isn't showing up, we will have a guy or two on the bench who had previously been a starter and will be wanting a chance to regain that position or a few guys that want to and can win a job.

Better RB play, especially to start to the year, will make a big difference. We couldn't put effective RB run game on film during much of the year, which allowed opposing DCs to really hone in on stopping the nuances of the offense. Show me a RB run game in the first few contests and I'll start to think we have chances in our coin-flip games. Austin as run game coordinator, Mills with experience in the system (and a slate of hungry young backs behind him), and a back up quarterback that we aren't pre-planning to use in only 4 games.

We will see. WR is unproven, still. I can't make much of an argument there beyond "I hope the guys are who the coaches think they are when they recruited them."

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back