• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Heard it here first

Very valid points. Hard to argue. However, I just want to say one thing, Michigan State was one of the biggest frauds I’ve seen since Nebraska 2016. Smoke and mirrors. I’m still stunned NU didn’t beat them by 21, on their own field.
But that's just my point. A team like that can get 10 wins. How good does Nebraska have to get for us to start expecting a run like that? MSU isn't a juggernaut. But they closed out the close ones. Iowa is another example. That wasn't even a very good team, but they got better as the season went along and somehow got to the Big 10 championship game. Both MSU and Iowa were games where I felt Nebraska looked like the better team, the team that could impose its will on the opponent more. But the Huskers found ways to lose.

Turn that mentality around, and Nebraska should be dependably beating the Iowas and MSUs. I'm not predicting 10 wins, but it certainly wouldn't shock me if the train left the station and the wins started to pile up. Its not like you look at that schedule and think, "They can't compete with this team, or that team, etc." OSU was the only opponent that really earned their win over Nebraska this year, and I felt the Huskers were not that far off against a quality opponent there.

Very valid points. Hard to argue. However, I just want to say one thing, Michigan State was one of the biggest frauds I’ve seen since Nebraska 2016. Smoke and mirrors. I’m still stunned NU didn’t beat them by 21, on their own field.
They went 11-2, they beat Michigan (a playoff team), and finished in the top 10... and you are "stunned" that Nebraska didn't blow them out?

That doesn't make any sense.

They were far superior to 2016 Nebraska, whose signature win was against a 4-8 Oregon team.

This little trip down memory lane reminded me of how bad we've been since Eichorst stepped on his own wiener and fired Pelini.

They went 11-2, they beat Michigan (a playoff team), and finished in the top 10... and you are "stunned" that Nebraska didn't blow them out?

They were far superior to 2016 Nebraska, whose signature win was against a 4-8 Oregon team.

This little trip down memory lane reminded me of how bad we've been since Eichorst stepped on his own wiener and fired Pelini.
Well, yes, I am. I guess they deserve credit for winning, but that just wasn’t a very good team. A lot had to align for them to do that, and it did. Michigan gave away that game. So did Nebraska, and Pittsburgh. Hard to forget what Ohio state did to them. It was an average team that had some good fortune, best way I can describe it.

Win the West would be a major task/accomplishment, I guess I'm in the wait and see mode. We have brought in some talented guys on offense so far via transfer portal. My hope/worry is more defense now, they kept us in the games and gave us chances to win. I guess my hope would be that we drop any dead weight schollies and gear up for the spring portal guys, would love to get the NT we're after, but also a couple of actual proven pass rushers. If we can fially get that, I do believe the sky is the limit. If our front 3/4 can get home a decent amount without a blitz, I'd have a smile like a 15 year old who just lost his virginity.

Last edited:
I think a
are-you-ok-checking.gif
I think so but the kool aid is pretty sweet right now

But that's just my point. A team like that can get 10 wins. How good does Nebraska have to get for us to start expecting a run like that? MSU isn't a juggernaut. But they closed out the close ones. Iowa is another example. That wasn't even a very good team, but they got better as the season went along and somehow got to the Big 10 championship game. Both MSU and Iowa were games where I felt Nebraska looked like the better team, the team that could impose its will on the opponent more. But the Huskers found ways to lose.

Turn that mentality around, and Nebraska should be dependably beating the Iowas and MSUs. I'm not predicting 10 wins, but it certainly wouldn't shock me if the train left the station and the wins started to pile up. Its not like you look at that schedule and think, "They can't compete with this team, or that team, etc." OSU was the only opponent that really earned their win over Nebraska this year, and I felt the Huskers were not that far off against a quality opponent there.
What you just described is coaching. Iowa always gets better as the year progresses. Michigan State squeezed every ounce of talent they had out of that team.

Last edited:

Much of a Husker turn around will be the mechanics of new pieces fitting in with the old. But even had things stood pat from last year, this program, at this point in time, needed a mental reset. Adrian Martinez recently stated he just needed a fresh start. But man, how hard is it to quantify such an elusive concept as a sports team reset? Or even define what it is or how it works?
In the absence of such parameters, I would conjure what we have been watching this off season as representing about as much "reset stuff" as one could hope for given the state of the program and Frost's "hot" status. It really comes down to simple belief in collective self, and all the fragilities therein.
"Come on you instigators, 'cause there's something in the air."

Folks, you may not realize it but I’m a bit pessimistic. There’s enough hot garbage on the schedule and even the sooners are a bit of dumpster fire with everything going on in Norman. I don’t see more than 6 wins but if things fall correctly that number could jump up to 8-9 for a season.
1) Here’s my concern, if you want to build a team with this dna, meaning everything runs through the QB, you will have your ups and downs. I can see 8 wins coming in the fall and then back down to 4-5 real quick after another “well we got that fixed, here’s an extension “ if you have no other form of offense than what your QB produces, then your up sh•t creek if he underperforms. History of frost and whipple don’t give me hope that the offense can stay afloat if the passing game and QB run drop off.
2) Seems everyone is simply writing off the defense as good to go but it will be a major concern until the new faces are proven. Over half the unit is gone including all your top dogs (Jo Jo, cam, Daniels..)
3) culture… culture was a big concern 4 years ago, “have to have time to bring in guys that will buy in to the team culture…” “let’s hit the portal”……uhh?

I see opportunities this season, much more than I do long term. Let’s put those chips down on RED it’s bound to hit. Lord knows it’s been coming up black for a good stretch now.

Last edited:

They weren’t that good. Michigan wasn’t that good either as was proven in the playoffs. Ohio St was down and the BIG ten is weak. Not a single quarterback in this league other than the kid at Ohio St that’s any good. The big ten is a boring stale conference.

Win the West would be a major task/accomplishment, I guess I'm in the wait and see mode. We have brought in some talented guys on offense so far via transfer portal. My hope/worry is more defense now, they kept us in the games and gave us chances to win. I guess my hope would be that we drop any dead weight schollies and gear up for the spring portal guys, would love to get the NT we're after, but also a couple of actual proven pass rushers. If we can fially get that, I do believe the sky is the limit. If our front 3/4 can get home a decent amount without a blitz, I'd have a smile like a 15 year old who just lost his virginity.
I think you’re right on, brother. We’re not done with this roster yet but the staff is definitely in the process of building a roster that can win the West. I’m with you on needs… one more interior D lineman, an edge rusher (probably a pipe dream), and another O lineman. Add that to what the coaches have already brought in and imo the roster is complete. We have all the skill positions we need (with one more CB likely on the way). Finish the roster upgrade and then prove your worth as coaches on game days. I’m all N on ‘22.

They weren’t that good. Michigan wasn’t that good either as was proven in the playoffs. Ohio St was down and the BIG ten is weak. Not a single quarterback in this league other than the kid at Ohio St that’s any good. The big ten is a boring stale conference.
Michigan wasn’t ‘that good’ because they got beat by National Champs which has a lineup half full of Sunday players? Interesting take.

I hope someday we’re not that good too.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back