• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Headhunting?

Boro Husker

Junior Varsity
10 Year Member
Don't know if it seemed like it to anyone else, but there looked to be some vicious hits put on JD and a few others Saturday night. Not quite sure how JD kept getting back up after a few of those. Kinda reminded me of watching Oakland Raiders in the 1970's, with Jack "The Assassin" Tatum kind of hits. Refs weren't going to call it in any event but then they couldn't decide if an incomplete pass was a fumble or not. Oh well, got the W and now we can see how we stack up with the big boys of the B1G.

Yes, I thought the same thing. There appeared to be a couple of times where Illinois went after WanDale and Spielman with a bit of extra force. Some of that could have just been legitimate frustration with the way they kept making plays in the 2nd half.

But then again, I felt like if the defender had been Nate Gerry, the refs would have called 16 targeting fouls.

Last edited:
There was a hit on Washington on sideline that should have been called and Kugler and Millen commented on it. The passes down the middle were tough hits but legal. It used to always be that way, the fact you throw in the middle of the field you are going to get hammered high throw or not.

Last edited:

That's the purpose of the Tampa2 Defense, take away the outside and push them to the inside, then hit them hard to get them to be hesitant going up for passes. Martinez has to get better at his pass accuracy.

I didn't think a single hit in the middle of the field was illegal or over zealous. I thought Martinez had better start getting his throws down a bit or they will get killed.
Or maybe the receivers needed to run their initial route a yard deeper so they didn't have to jump. Seems like everyone here wants a perfect pass thrown everytime by AM. He completed 66% of his passes Saturday. I saw much worse on Sunday afternoon. Tom brady completed the exact percentage of passes as AM for only 2 TD's and -1 yard rushing.

Or maybe the receivers needed to run their initial route a yard deeper so they didn't have to jump. Seems like everyone here wants a perfect pass thrown everytime by AM. He completed 66% of his passes Saturday. I saw much worse on Sunday afternoon. Tom brady completed the exact percentage of passes as AM for only 2 TD's and -1 yard rushing.

Image result for conan stare gif

C

Attachments

• 1569259204458.jpeg
    1569259204458.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 32

But AM not as pretty as Brady!!!!

Wiscy had both safeties kicked out for targeting in one drive. If it’s the pass or the route I’m not sure, but we we need to fix that pronto.

The vast majority of the hits were not targeting, just devastating hits that I would rather see on the other team, rather than our relatively undersized skill players. Having said that, there was a hit early on that I think arguably fits the definition of targeting. I can't cite to the exact minute of the game, but I think it was on the first drive of the game. It was a throw to the left side of the field. Our player goes up in the air, and the "tackle" from the defender is executed by what I would argue was forcible contact to the head and neck with a fist, hand, and/or forearm. This clearly falls within the third prong for targeting described below. (use of the forearm, fist, hand, or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even if both feet are on the ground.) It was a pretty vicious hit and, given the desire to protect the neck and head of players, surprised no one questioned the failure to even review the hit.

Targeting does not solely occur when players initiate helmet-to-helmet contact. It's defined as occurring when a player "takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball." Instances include, but are not limited to:
  • Launch--a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.

Seems like some people always want to make excuses for players they like. Anyone who didn't see AM2 was throwing high early in the game wasn't watching. I doubt every receiver running down the middle ran the wrong route, and that completion percentage included not only the catches where the receiver got murdered, but catches like Stoll's, where there is no way you can say the pass was off bcause of the route. AM2 played a good game, particularly in the second half, but ill bet he would tell you he was struggling early.

The vast majority of the hits were not targeting, just devastating hits that I would rather see on the other team, rather than our relatively undersized skill players. Having said that, there was a hit early on that I think arguably fits the definition of targeting. I can't cite to the exact minute of the game, but I think it was on the first drive of the game. It was a throw to the left side of the field. Our player goes up in the air, and the "tackle" from the defender is executed by what I would argue was forcible contact to the head and neck with a fist, hand, and/or forearm. This clearly falls within the third prong for targeting described below. (use of the forearm, fist, hand, or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even if both feet are on the ground.) It was a pretty vicious hit and, given the desire to protect the neck and head of players, surprised no one questioned the failure to even review the hit.

Targeting does not solely occur when players initiate helmet-to-helmet contact. It's defined as occurring when a player "takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball." Instances include, but are not limited to:
  • Launch--a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.
common thread - "forcible contact in the head or neck area."

Don't know if it seemed like it to anyone else, but there looked to be some vicious hits put on JD and a few others Saturday night. Not quite sure how JD kept getting back up after a few of those. Kinda reminded me of watching Oakland Raiders in the 1970's, with Jack "The Assassin" Tatum kind of hits. Refs weren't going to call it in any event but then they couldn't decide if an incomplete pass was a fumble or not. Oh well, got the W and now we can see how we stack up with the big boys of the B1G.

Illinois had some hard hits, but nothing that resembled Tatum!

My favorite NFL collision is the one where Tatum and Earl Campbell collided at the goal line. Campbell made it in, but was knocked into a staggering daze. think they both said it was the hardest they'd ever been hit

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back