• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Head Coaching Replacement Candidates

Why do people keep saying overhaul his staff? Many of our issues come directly from the head coach. Lack of energy across the board, that's on the head coach. Frost was brought because of his offensive acumen and that is the worst performing unit on our team for the last three years. He's already replaced one OC and that hasn't changed much. So you trust Frost to hire people who are going to shake up this staff. He had the chance to build a top-notch staff when he came here and he chose to bring the whole UCF band with him.

Second part of that is who is he going to hire that will come in here with the chance that they are out of a job by the end of the season. Stop with this staff shake up nonsense. 4 years in and it's obvious this guy is not a CEO type who is going to magically be good at roster and game management because he hires a new staff.

let’s get a new energy bus!

And that’s your goal? Former coaches or players at Nebraska have win percentages of 83%, 75%, 71% and 37%. Outsiders are 82%, 55% and 50%.
Everyone knows that state lines are actual, real things. If you were born in Kansas but only 5 yards away from Nebraska, then tough luck. You don’t have Jedi powers and certainly can’t win games at UNL. The statistics bear that out.

I have this theory that Power 5 assistant coaches make the jump to Power 5 head coach better than do non Power 5 head coaches. Of the current top 25 teams 12 are coached by guys who made the leap directly from P5 assistant to head coach ( I included Mel Tucker who went to Colorado and then to MSU). I didn't count Luke Fickell because he is technically at a non P5 this year but we can all agree would be a home run hire.

Kirby Smart
Lincoln Riley
Ryan Day
Mike Gundy
Mel Tucker
Kirk Ferentz
Mark Stoops
Jimbo Fisher (won a national title at FSU going from P5 assistant to head coach)
Dave Aranda
Pat Narduzzi
Jeff Traylor

This doesn't include guys like Dabo Swinney, Dan Mullens, Sam Pittman (a little early but seems to be going good), Steve Sarkisian (had success at Washington and USC before his demons got him), and even Bo Pelini or go back to Tom Osborne and Bob Stoops.

I know a lot of non Power 5 head coaches are former P5 assistants but it seems like guys in the above list have more success than guys like Darrell Hazell, Tim Beckman, Scott Frost, etc. This isn't exact science so you can shoot holes in my theory. If Nebraska can get a successful P5 coach to make the switch then that is ideal but if not there are options from P5 assistants. A guy like Jim Leonhard for instance, Brent Venables, Alex Grinch, Tony Elliot, etc.

I have this theory that Power 5 assistant coaches make the jump to Power 5 head coach better than do non Power 5 head coaches. Of the current top 25 teams 12 are coached by guys who made the leap directly from P5 assistant to head coach ( I included Mel Tucker who went to Colorado and then to MSU). I didn't count Luke Fickell because he is technically at a non P5 this year but we can all agree would be a home run hire.

Kirby Smart
Lincoln Riley
Ryan Day
Mike Gundy
Mel Tucker
Kirk Ferentz
Mark Stoops
Jimbo Fisher (won a national title at FSU going from P5 assistant to head coach)
Dave Aranda
Pat Narduzzi
Jeff Traylor

This doesn't include guys like Dabo Swinney, Dan Mullens, Sam Pittman (a little early but seems to be going good), Steve Sarkisian (had success at Washington and USC before his demons got him), and even Bo Pelini or go back to Tom Osborne and Bob Stoops.

I know a lot of non Power 5 head coaches are former P5 assistants but it seems like guys in the above list have more success than guys like Darrell Hazell, Tim Beckman, Scott Frost, etc. This isn't exact science so you can shoot holes in my theory. If Nebraska can get a successful P5 coach to make the switch then that is ideal but if not there are options from P5 assistants. A guy like Jim Leonhard for instance, Brent Venables, Alex Grinch, Tony Elliot, etc.
Those are the kind of guys we have to go after. Sure they may fail but I agree they are realistic and can definitely pan out. Some might use us as a stepping stone but someone might also come here and love it. We have no clue but they need to keep trying.

Why do people keep saying overhaul his staff? Many of our issues come directly from the head coach. Lack of energy across the board, that's on the head coach. Frost was brought because of his offensive acumen and that is the worst performing unit on our team for the last three years. He's already replaced one OC and that hasn't changed much. So you trust Frost to hire people who are going to shake up this staff. He had the chance to build a top-notch staff when he came here and he chose to bring the whole UCF band with him.

Second part of that is who is he going to hire that will come in here with the chance that they are out of a job by the end of the season. Stop with this staff shake up nonsense. 4 years in and it's obvious this guy is not a CEO type who is going to magically be good at roster and game management because he hires a new staff.
To answer your first question, I had it in my previous post... because of the absurd buyout we might be stuck with Frost another year. With that in mind, the only option would be to overhaul his staff. However, if he goes 0-4 down the stretch, I would bet they'll find the money to fire him.

To answer your second part, I've posted this several times now... There are plenty of rising stars in the coaching profession who would gladly take a pay raise and come to Lincoln. Would we get big name assistant coaches? No. But Pelini was a nobody who was coaching linebackers for the Packers when Solich hired him. You'd have to find people like that. The real question is... do you think Frost and Trev would be able to identify those people? I would hope so. I just don't want them hiring their buddies.

Kirby Smart
Lincoln Riley
Ryan Day
Mike Gundy
Mel Tucker
Kirk Ferentz
Mark Stoops
Dave Aranda
Pat Narduzzi
Jeff Traylor

Sark is no bueno, even before the drinking got the better of him. Washington took a huge step forward when Chris Petersen took over. Sark is mediocre.

Nick Rolovich and 4 Cougar assistants out at Washington State after refusing the vaccine mandate for all state employees.

That's fair.

I doubt Trev is planning to fire Frost as of today. Let the season play out. I think Scott still has a path to return for next season

But I will add to the list: Dave Aranda
I'll add two more...David Shaw and Kyle Whittingham.

At least we are not hearing people offer Matt Campbell's name right now. Thank the Lord.

Chris Petersen is not coming here. Didn't he stop for health reasons

Last edited:
When Trev announces tomorrow that HC Frost will be replaced at the end of the season, like Orgeron, who would the possible coaching replacements be?

Well, it's tomorrow. Where's the announcement?
frustrated-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back