• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Head Coach

Anyone remember raspberry Happy Days, or even Hawken? How could you not start chewing?

Had a few kids on my freshman baseball team that dipped Happy Days. I was unfortunate enough to get indoctrinated into the world of smokeless tobacco by a farm kid who dipped Cope. Lucky me.

Anyone remember raspberry Happy Days, or even Hawken? How could you not start chewing?
Yes I do remember Hawken. It was 'new' for us in small town Missouri so I went through a couple cans just to be different. It changed the dynamics of the 'can I bum a chew' questions because most my friends wouldn't try it or didn't like it.

Thank you for your military service. I, too, have had my share of dancing with the devils in the pale moonlight....hardcore Bikram Yoga ultimately made a difference for the long term - that and a few grandkids. I've been laughing my ass off over some of these posts. I'm ready anytime to share some single malt scotch and smoke a Don Diego cigar with this crowd. ( actually, I gotta retract that - one drag on the cigar and I'm hooked again but I'll do the vicarious thing..) Glenlivet works and I drink a Guinness Stout every year on the anniversary of Pat Tillman's death.
Hopefully we can meet up some day and swap peat moss stories. Maybe after HCSF's first championship run. I see that we are 16 pages in to your first introductory post so congratulations on a solid hit down first base line. I always enjoy reading opinions from coaches and athletes so keep them coming. Next year will bring better results on the field so we will have to critique the car HCSF drives. :Lol:

I actually took my first ever shot of fireball at Smoker's tailgate last weekend.
And my 2nd.
And my 3rd....

I liked it.

Too much, I fear.

My wife loves the stuff, but it’s too sweet for me.

That Screwball whiskey they had at Smokers tailgate was evil. It sounded awful, but tastes so damned good.

Smoke and dip/chew all you want, doesn't change the fact that for me, I find them disgusting habits. Pretty sure I never said to outlaw your personal use of said product, just like I am fine with people smoking pot, doesn't mean I have to partake. What's your opinion on marijuana and people being able to smoke it anywhere they want, but more importantly, in the privacy of their own home?

I stand by my personal beliefs that tobacco is NASTY in all it's forms.
I could careless what someone else’s does or doesn’t do. Not going to judge them on it either or say it looks bad or tacky.

Yes I do remember Hawken. It was 'new' for us in small town Missouri so I went through a couple cans just to be different. It changed the dynamics of the 'can I bum a chew' questions because most my friends wouldn't try it or didn't like it.
Hawken was like dessert. It was the most mild and what got me hooked. Took 25 years to drop that habit. I still have pictures on the 2nd day after I quit. I was so white I looked like a corpse.

I'm new so bear with me or as one of my coaches used to say, "Bear down out there!" (lamenting my fooling around with hitters when I could dispatch them with three pitches, etc.)

I certainly appreciate the effort that goes into the extraordinary insight from a lot of you. The humor as well. The rancor is frustrating but understandable. The moderators do a great job.

I wasn't going to join this board - no need - but one thing is bothering me so I did. ( Well, actually there are many...but that's for another time...) I'm not looking for agreement just going to get this off my chest because I've been disappointed in Frost's pressers.

1. Shave the day of the game. You look like a hobo from the sidewalks of San Francisco. YOU ARE THE FACE OF THE PROGRAM. Show some respect.....and no, I'm not an old fogey. And you are no longer a player, Frost.

2. If you're still chewing or dipping, drop it - now. How does that set a respectable standard for your players? Don't smoke, boys - no weed....yeah, I dip but that's different. Double standard much? How'd that work out for Tony Gwynn? ( I don't give a rat's --- what you do in private. You are a public figure.)

3. You're 'Belichickian' monotone obfuscation is not worthy of your position. Engage the public - they are behind you. ( I realize pressers are not favorite parts of being the Head Coach etc. but it comes with the territory so use them as an asset. Particularly for Nebraskans.)

Frankly, none of the above are priorities nor do they really matter in the larger scheme of things but they are pet peeves of mine. By reference, the last thing I am is an old fart stuck in his ways even though this post might sound like it. Winning does cure a lot of things and so far the performance of this team has been objectionable - so objectionable I didn't watch the Wisconsin game. That says something in and of itself. I'm a lifelong Nebraska fan. My parents and all our relatives are Nebraskans going back several generations. We left because Dad was a career military (Air Force) guy. I was born in Columbus. They were from Gordon and Merna.

Now to the real purpose of this post.

I've heard it two games in a row: "I'll have to watch the tape because I was a too busy talking with my offensive staff to set up our next offensive sequence of plays." This was in reference to questions about the defense.

A lot of you will disagree with this because there are countless examples of coaches like Frost that concentrate on one side of the ball. I get that. I understand that. I've got no real problem with it. However, if I am playing for you as my Head Coach on the defensive side of the ball and you don't have a clue about the defense dynamics that are occurring in the game and not collaborating with the defensive coordinator ( whether it's Chinander or not ) except for "when to take time outs" we've got a major disconnect. You and me. I want your attention, dude. I'm playing for you. Carry on with the offensive staff but pay attention. You might have something to offer. After all, YOU ARE the HEAD Coach. You are MY Head Coach. The DC works for you.

Besides, when he says his offense does this or that but the defense only did this or that and they score enough to win and the defense didn't hold enough to win, how the ---- does that sound? Hey, I got the offense churning but the defensive didn't stop their churn....I don't like this. Know enough about your defense, Head Coach, or go be a $5M
a year OC somewhere. Nit-picking, I know, but it's a pet-peeve.

OK, that's it. Meaningless for most of you but my chest has been set free. ( Yes, I am an ex-D1 athlete fortunate enough to have played for Hall of Fame coaches in a couple of sports. Football was not one of them after HS. I broke my wrist the first play of one season (QB) and broke my ankle the first play of another season (kickoff return). Football gods were apparently pissed. I still have an indentation in my forehead from my days as a cornerback, tho. So, I guess I have a little street cred in football - certainly not like a lot of you.

Thanks - don't be too hard on me. I promise to do cartwheels down the middle of the highway when NU boys start playing football and taking names.
1. Welcome!

2. Good first post, though long. Can't argue with most of your points. Or maybe I just don't want to create an equally long rebuttal.

3. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I was on my usual "don't post after a loss" hiatus, and when I came back this was up to 16 pages. I have no idea what's on pp. 2-15. Oh well.

He "looks like a douche" because he's wearing a suit and tie? Hmmmm...

I think wearing a suit when it is appropriate is fine. Wearing a suit to every PC when you are football coach isn't. Please name 1 other football coach that wears a suit to every PC he does. He is trying way too hard to cultivate an image.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back