• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Head Coach

Finally. Someone identified the real issues holding the team back. If we could get SF to dress and groom like he’s on his way to Sunday School that should cure most of our ills.

Then, if he hires someone that he DOESN’T trust to run the defense, and then micromanage him, he can turn this team around.

:Lol:

Yeah I agree 100% with all of this. The head coach is the face of the program. And he needs to maintain an image. Discipline starts at the top. I dont know if enforceable but players need to abide by a hair code also. I hate the celebrating after making a defensive play on the field. That is what they are supposed to do! Especially when you are getting beat.

I'm new so bear with me or as one of my coaches used to say, "Bear down out there!" (lamenting my fooling around with hitters when I could dispatch them with three pitches, etc.)

I certainly appreciate the effort that goes into the extraordinary insight from a lot of you. The humor as well. The rancor is frustrating but understandable. The moderators do a great job.

I wasn't going to join this board - no need - but one thing is bothering me so I did. ( Well, actually there are many...but that's for another time...) I'm not looking for agreement just going to get this off my chest because I've been disappointed in Frost's pressers.

1. Shave the day of the game. You look like a hobo from the sidewalks of San Francisco. YOU ARE THE FACE OF THE PROGRAM. Show some respect.....and no, I'm not an old fogey. And you are no longer a player, Frost.

2. If you're still chewing or dipping, drop it - now. How does that set a respectable standard for your players? Don't smoke, boys - no weed....yeah, I dip but that's different. Double standard much? How'd that work out for Tony Gwynn? ( I don't give a rat's --- what you do in private. You are a public figure.)

3. You're 'Belichickian' monotone obfuscation is not worthy of your position. Engage the public - they are behind you. ( I realize pressers are not favorite parts of being the Head Coach etc. but it comes with the territory so use them as an asset. Particularly for Nebraskans.)

Frankly, none of the above are priorities nor do they really matter in the larger scheme of things but they are pet peeves of mine. By reference, the last thing I am is an old fart stuck in his ways even though this post might sound like it. Winning does cure a lot of things and so far the performance of this team has been objectionable - so objectionable I didn't watch the Wisconsin game. That says something in and of itself. I'm a lifelong Nebraska fan. My parents and all our relatives are Nebraskans going back several generations. We left because Dad was a career military (Air Force) guy. I was born in Columbus. They were from Gordon and Merna.

Now to the real purpose of this post.

I've heard it two games in a row: "I'll have to watch the tape because I was a too busy talking with my offensive staff to set up our next offensive sequence of plays." This was in reference to questions about the defense.

A lot of you will disagree with this because there are countless examples of coaches like Frost that concentrate on one side of the ball. I get that. I understand that. I've got no real problem with it. However, if I am playing for you as my Head Coach on the defensive side of the ball and you don't have a clue about the defense dynamics that are occurring in the game and not collaborating with the defensive coordinator ( whether it's Chinander or not ) except for "when to take time outs" we've got a major disconnect. You and me. I want your attention, dude. I'm playing for you. Carry on with the offensive staff but pay attention. You might have something to offer. After all, YOU ARE the HEAD Coach. You are MY Head Coach. The DC works for you.

Besides, when he says his offense does this or that but the defense only did this or that and they score enough to win and the defense didn't hold enough to win, how the ---- does that sound? Hey, I got the offense churning but the defensive didn't stop their churn....I don't like this. Know enough about your defense, Head Coach, or go be a $5M
a year OC somewhere. Nit-picking, I know, but it's a pet-peeve.

OK, that's it. Meaningless for most of you but my chest has been set free. ( Yes, I am an ex-D1 athlete fortunate enough to have played for Hall of Fame coaches in a couple of sports. Football was not one of them after HS. I broke my wrist the first play of one season (QB) and broke my ankle the first play of another season (kickoff return). Football gods were apparently pissed. I still have an indentation in my forehead from my days as a cornerback, tho. So, I guess I have a little street cred in football - certainly not like a lot of you.

Thanks - don't be too hard on me. I promise to do cartwheels down the middle of the highway when NU boys start playing football and taking names.
Welcome to the board but I completely disagree.

I'm new so bear with me or as one of my coaches used to say, "Bear down out there!" (lamenting my fooling around with hitters when I could dispatch them with three pitches, etc.)

I certainly appreciate the effort that goes into the extraordinary insight from a lot of you. The humor as well. The rancor is frustrating but understandable. The moderators do a great job.

I wasn't going to join this board - no need - but one thing is bothering me so I did. ( Well, actually there are many...but that's for another time...) I'm not looking for agreement just going to get this off my chest because I've been disappointed in Frost's pressers.

1. Shave the day of the game. You look like a hobo from the sidewalks of San Francisco. YOU ARE THE FACE OF THE PROGRAM. Show some respect.....and no, I'm not an old fogey. And you are no longer a player, Frost.

2. If you're still chewing or dipping, drop it - now. How does that set a respectable standard for your players? Don't smoke, boys - no weed....yeah, I dip but that's different. Double standard much? How'd that work out for Tony Gwynn? ( I don't give a rat's --- what you do in private. You are a public figure.)

3. You're 'Belichickian' monotone obfuscation is not worthy of your position. Engage the public - they are behind you. ( I realize pressers are not favorite parts of being the Head Coach etc. but it comes with the territory so use them as an asset. Particularly for Nebraskans.)

Frankly, none of the above are priorities nor do they really matter in the larger scheme of things but they are pet peeves of mine. By reference, the last thing I am is an old fart stuck in his ways even though this post might sound like it. Winning does cure a lot of things and so far the performance of this team has been objectionable - so objectionable I didn't watch the Wisconsin game. That says something in and of itself. I'm a lifelong Nebraska fan. My parents and all our relatives are Nebraskans going back several generations. We left because Dad was a career military (Air Force) guy. I was born in Columbus. They were from Gordon and Merna.

Now to the real purpose of this post.

I've heard it two games in a row: "I'll have to watch the tape because I was a too busy talking with my offensive staff to set up our next offensive sequence of plays." This was in reference to questions about the defense.

A lot of you will disagree with this because there are countless examples of coaches like Frost that concentrate on one side of the ball. I get that. I understand that. I've got no real problem with it. However, if I am playing for you as my Head Coach on the defensive side of the ball and you don't have a clue about the defense dynamics that are occurring in the game and not collaborating with the defensive coordinator ( whether it's Chinander or not ) except for "when to take time outs" we've got a major disconnect. You and me. I want your attention, dude. I'm playing for you. Carry on with the offensive staff but pay attention. You might have something to offer. After all, YOU ARE the HEAD Coach. You are MY Head Coach. The DC works for you.

Besides, when he says his offense does this or that but the defense only did this or that and they score enough to win and the defense didn't hold enough to win, how the ---- does that sound? Hey, I got the offense churning but the defensive didn't stop their churn....I don't like this. Know enough about your defense, Head Coach, or go be a $5M
a year OC somewhere. Nit-picking, I know, but it's a pet-peeve.

OK, that's it. Meaningless for most of you but my chest has been set free. ( Yes, I am an ex-D1 athlete fortunate enough to have played for Hall of Fame coaches in a couple of sports. Football was not one of them after HS. I broke my wrist the first play of one season (QB) and broke my ankle the first play of another season (kickoff return). Football gods were apparently pissed. I still have an indentation in my forehead from my days as a cornerback, tho. So, I guess I have a little street cred in football - certainly not like a lot of you.

Thanks - don't be too hard on me. I promise to do cartwheels down the middle of the highway when NU boys start playing football and taking names.
Good introductory post. I agree with much of what you said. If we are playing fantastic competitive football very little of his appearance or demeanor on the podium matters but we aren't. We have many instances of undisciplined performance on and off the field. The first time that I saw he was dipping at the podium I chuckled and dismissed it as he was a very busy man - go, go, go, oh wait, I have a press conference, I'll just show up as I am, but now we know this is his schtick. I say schtick because when I search for pictures or videos of HCSF when he was at UCF, Oregon, Northern Iowa or any other professional stop he isn't this disheveled and packing a fat wad of chew in his gum while 'speaking on behalf of the University he represents'. Maybe he is, I don't know but for some reason when he is on the podium at Nebraska he packs it in. It's immature and tacky. That doesn't mean he is a bad coach or a bad person, just tacky. Maybe tacky works on the recruiting trail. P.J. Fleck apparently doesn't think so.

Welcome. I have noticed the dip and wondered if was even legal on campus.

That being said, I trust Frost to do what's best. I also believe these two things to be true:
1) Winning will make it all okay.
2) Continued losing will make it all go away.

If you obnoxiously dip and dress like a 13 year old you wouldn't be successful in any business that I have been in post military.

I obnoxiously dipped but not so sure about the 'dress like a 13 year old' part and have been successful.

Not sure Frost dresses like a 13 year old either, but 8-14 will do that to people.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back