• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HCSF Accounting for where this team is?

dallasblackshirt

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Absent a miracle, we will finish the season either 4-8 or 5-7; we have a $8.5M coaching payroll. In business turnaround world, nobody accepts not consistently making progress. There is something seriously wrong with this program (under HCSF tenure) and absent changes at the end of the season, we will have a losing record next season with a much more difficult schedule.

When HCSF is asked by Moos to give a honest accounting of each unit's performance vs. last years', it would look something like this
Regressed
OLine
WR
RB
QB
LB

Improved
TE
DLine
DB
Special Teams (not penalizing unit for injured PK)

So Coach Frost, which of the units that regressed but had better talent?
OLine
QB

So Coach Frost, what specific changes are you going to make to improve your team?

My answer is the OLine & Offensive Coordinators need to be replaced. QB coach has developed talent across Vedral, McCaffrey and Bunch. I also would replace the DC who has zero track record.

When you distill it down, if OLine & QB play would have improved modestly we would be a 8-9 win team this year which is where many expected us to be. If we don't change out a couple of coaches it would be malpractice and HCSF will have separated himself as someone who refuses to deal with reality and is plain arrogant. Moos cannot and I bet will not allow this to happen. For those who say Coach Frost can call the shots, that shipped sailed with his delivering a s... show all year. You lose that right when you clearly under performed and HCSF has done that in spades all season.

Absent a miracle, we will finish the season either 4-8 or 5-7; we have a $8.5M coaching payroll. In business turnaround world, nobody accepts not consistently making progress. There is something seriously wrong with this program (under HCSF tenure) and absent changes at the end of the season, we will have a losing record next season with a much more difficult schedule.

When HCSF is asked by Moos to give a honest accounting of each unit's performance vs. last years', it would look something like this
Regressed
OLine
WR
RB
QB
LB

Improved
TE
DLine
DB

OLine
QB

So Coach Frost, what specific changes are you going to make to improve your team?

My answer is the OLine & Offensive Coordinators need to be replaced. QB coach has developed talent across Vedral, McCaffrey and Bunch. I also would replace the DC who has zero track record.

When you distill it down, if OLine & QB play would have improved modestly we would be a 8-9 win team this year which is where many expected us to be. If we don't change out a couple of coaches it would be malpractice and HCSF will have separated himself as someone who refuses to deal with reality and is plain arrogant. Moos cannot and I bet will not allow this to happen. For those who say Coach Frost can call the shots, that shipped sailed with his delivering a s... show all year. You lose that right when you clearly under performed and HCSF has done that in spades all season.

You can get the same effect by adding offensive and defensive advisors to the staff to upgrade the experience level and improve the teaching and planning of the staff.

Staff continuity is the hallmark of the success of championship programs, so that bring multiple assistants is not my idea of the way to go at the end of year two.

If Scott has a major philosophical difference with Chin (really wants to go 4-3) well then okay but otherwise I think that addition is better than creating turmoil for the players of learning a new system (for the 3rd or 4th time in their careers at DONU.

The rules allow advisors, AD Moos has been very strong in his support (money), and the Alabama model (multiple experienced advisors equals championships) is one I think we should consider following before we consider wholesale firings.

GBR

Regressed
OLine
WR
RB
QB
LB

Improved
TE
DLine
DB

OLine
QB

Fair post.next year will be critical to HCSF,no doubt. I feel that we regressed all year. I think Moos will give four years to show we are a competitive team every week.Personally I think that is fair to SF.As for the assistants,SF needs to do some serious evaluations of his staff.Keep the faith.GBR.

You can get the same effect by adding offensive and defensive advisors to the staff to upgrade the experience level and improve the teaching and planning of the staff.

Staff continuity is the hallmark of the success of championship programs, so that bring multiple assistants is not my idea of the way to go at the end of year two.

If Scott has a major philosophical difference with Chin (really wants to go 4-3) well then okay but otherwise I think that addition is better than creating turmoil for the players of learning a new system (for the 3rd or 4th time in their careers at DONU.

The rules allow advisors, AD Moos has been very strong in his support (money), and the Alabama model (multiple experienced advisors equals championships) is one I think we should consider following before we consider wholesale firings.

GBR
Certainly agree with expanded use of advisers but that will not change the performance of Oline who demonstrate a lack of fundamentals play after play. We don't need additional analysis of those failings we need execution which we are not getting nor improving. Also, Belichick, Saban and Parscells have fired plenty of assistants.

Certainly agree with expanded use of advisers but that will not change the performance of Oline who demonstrate a lack of fundamentals play after play. We don't need additional analysis of those failings we need execution which we are not getting nor improving. Also, Belichick, Saban and Parscells have fired plenty of assistants.

Yes they have but it has been with long standing staffs, not after just two years.
You also forget that O-line play in our halcyon years was by lineman that had 3-4 years in the same system which none of these kids have, nor will they have if we keep firing o-line coaches.

Continuity was the hallmark of all three of those coaches and also Devaney and Dr Tom's staffs.

GBR

Last edited:

I'm sure he already is.

I don’t think he has time in season for what I’m talking about. He’ll need to spend more time going through each and every play from every game and tear apart what he’s doing and what needs changing. He may find less wrong with what he and his staff are doing which should lead to another long list of questions. The kind of stuff I’m talking about doesn’t work while he’s doing game prep.

He’s got his hands full.

I don’t think he has time in season for what I’m talking about. He’ll need to spend more time going through each and every play from every game and tear apart what he’s doing and what needs changing. He may find less wrong with what he and his staff are doing which should lead to another long list of questions. The kind of stuff I’m talking about doesn’t work while he’s doing game prep.

He’s got his hands full.

Sure but I'm sure he and his staff have discussions about what they are doing and what they try to do differently. Obviously there will be more time to do that in the off-season

Yes they have but it has been with long standing staffs, not after just two years.
You also forget that O-line play in our halcyon years was by lineman that had 3-4 years in the same system which none of these kids have, nor will they have if we keep firing o-line coaches.

Continuity was the hallmark of all three of those coaches and also Devaney and Dr Tom's staffs.

GBR
I do not disagree on the continuity comments but I disagree on your evaluation of the offensive line.

These guys may not have been in SF's system for 3-4 but most have been on campus 3+ years. The offensive line started the year with more cumulative career starts than Wisconsin. This group 2+ years into SF's tenure has regressed as in played worse this year than last year.

How can this group in year 2 be worse than year 1? 3 starters back from last year's team. Every starter but Jurgens has been on campus 3+ years.

Regressed
OLine
WR
RB
QB
LB

Improved
TE
DLine
DB

OLine
QB

We saw how well it went the last time an AD dictated coaching changes. Moos will want a plan from Frost but I don't believe he's going to shove one down his throat.

SF has 7 years. Don't think NU is in the mood for more buyouts. Some staff members are probably at risk after next year (maybe this year if it really tanks). This year sucks but the real dilemma is any momentum SF and crew had for recruiting after the miracle in Orlando and beating Auburn is long gone. Say what you will but winners want to win. (If) We're 7-2 right now we are getting looks and probably commitments from good players. As it is, the river has run a bit dry.

The question is whether SF will make moves with his staff. He was extremely loyal to all the guys at UCF when he came so not sure if he has the personality to make changes just to appease the crowd. TO was very loyal too and it got him some championships...all the while the crowd was wanting the head of an assistant or two (even his head).

This is a bad product but this is about the 20th post calling for an accounting or firing in SF's 2nd year. Its not realistic to even go there. Look, he took over an 4-8 team with crap ton of issues. I'm not saying we shouldn't be expecting more but for the couch coaches to be pounding the armrests and looking for that next coach is comical...but its who we are...and we will likely never learn.

Last edited:

everyone is going to forget about threads like this next year when we win the national championship and 2AM is the Heisman winner.
Maybe so but I'm definately going to remember this post when we go sub .500 again.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back