• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HCSF Accounting for where this team is?

Well, that's certainly the way folks who want to diminish the miracle of Bob Devaney see it. Jennings gets credit for Devaney's wins, something Jennings himself could never do...and then, Devaney gets credit for the 2 "bad" seasons, then TO gets credit for Devaney's national championships. To top it all off, they name everything football related after TO and his wife and give Devaney a sculpture so small that he looks like a munchkin. It's sickening to see how poorly many have treated Devaney and his legacy. Without Devaney, we'd have been Kansas for the last 57 years. Let's hope SF is capable of carrying Bob's jockstrap. If he is, we'll win a lot of games.

Who doesn't give Devaney credit for getting things going? I sure give Devaney credit. I think many think more of TO than Devaney is a simple math problem. Devaney was the HC at Nebraska for 11 years. TO was the HC for 25 years. Devaney retired at a relatively young age. He was only 57 when he stepped down, he could have coached another 5-10 years easily if he wanted to but didn't.

Devaney was a great coach that turned things around at Nebraska and made a lot of great decisions as the AD. But TO's legacy is much longer.

The 2017 University of Central Florida football team that finished with a 13-0 record had 51 players that were also on the 2015 UCF team that went 0-12. It's not always about getting new players. Sometimes it's about developing the potential of those you already have.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh...now you went and did it! LOL!

The way things are going SF will be hard pressed to get to a 60% winning percentage for his years at NU by year 7.

Devaney:
9-2 - first bowl game since 1954
10-2 - Big 8 champion, Orange Bowl champion, Ranked #5
9-2 - Big 8 champion, lost 10-7 to #1 Arkansas in Cotton Bowl, #6
10-1 - Big 8 champion, unbeaten regular season, played for NC in OB, #5
9-2 - Big 8 champion, #6

83.9% winning percentage....best in nation. Yeah, those petitions were a joke, and Devaney was never close to being fired, no matter who says so. TO was a lot closer to getting canned, without Devaney, he probably would have been.

BTW...we were 15-34-1 the 5 years prior to Devaney. He inherited a far, far, worse situation...he built the darned place.

Not sure which years you are talking giving as examples and i'm not going to look it up. The years we were talking about BD was 6-4, both years. That is .600 in THOSE YEARS...not for all his years, as you again changed the narrative in the bolded.

Also, nobody was comparing the situations inherited....please try to stay on subject.

Not sure which years you are talking giving as examples and i'm not going to look it up. The years we were talking about BD was 6-4, both years. That is .600 in THOSE YEARS...not for all his years, as you again changed the narrative in the bolded.

Also, nobody was comparing the situations inherited....please try to stay on subject.
Those 2 teams you think were so terrible were actually were pretty good teams... I explained that earlier in the context of the thread, but clearly you aren't familiar with those teams, which is fine...just don't expect to be agreed with when that's the situation.

Those 2 teams you think were so terrible were actually were pretty good teams... I explained that earlier in the context of the thread, but clearly you aren't familiar with those teams, which is fine...just don't expect to be agreed with when that's the situation.

I'm actually pretty happy when you disagree with me, means i am doing something right. :) Once again, your subjective opinion of whether a team is good or not appears to be completely independent of what the record actually says they are/were. I know you don't really like to stick to things like facts, aka, records.

Last edited:
I'm actually pretty happy when you disagree with me, means i am doing something right. :) Once again, your subjective opinion of whether a team is good or not appears to be completely independent of what the record actually says they are/were. I know you don't really like to stick to things like facts, aka, records.
It's comical that so many people think that a team record encapsulates the ability of a team...it doesn't, or the team with the best record would always win. Since you aren't familiar with those teams the way that I am, you forfeit the ability to have an opinion about them. Minnesota is unbeaten this year...do you really think they are better than Alabama? Think...

Last edited:
It's comical that so many people think that a team record encapsulates the ability of a team...it doesn't, or the team with the best record would always win. Since you aren't familiar with those teams the way that I am, you forfeit the ability to have an opinion about them. Minnesota is unbeaten this year...do you really think they are better than Alabama? Think...

Do you really know they aren't? You stated the team with the best record doesn't always win...well, bulletin, the best team doesn't always win either.

By the way, i and nobody else on this board EVER forfeits the ability to have an opinion....because it is an opinion. You should treasure that ability, since you rarely deal in facts.

Scot Frost today:

"Scott Frost says a “vast majority” of the team is excited to play on Saturday and the rest of the season."

10th game of the season and those who have not decided to be "excited" are still allowed to be with the team?
what the heck?

If we have to go 4-8 again, can we at least do it with those who really want to be Cornhuskers?

This decision is all on Scott and his staff :(

GBR

Scot Frost today:

"Scott Frost says a “vast majority” of the team is excited to play on Saturday and the rest of the season."

10th game of the season and those who have not decided to be "excited" are still allowed to be with the team?
what the heck?

If we have to go 4-8 again, can we at least do it with those who really want to be Cornhuskers?

GBR
Maybe he plans to sit some players down this week who are sulking? Maybe the changes people have been clamoring for are actually going to happen this week. Who knows?

Last edited:
You must not have been around for the 67 and 68 seasons. Those teams were very comparable to many of TO's 9 win teams (better than several), and in today's world would be a prime bowl catch. The 67 team was better than 68 and was among the all-time great NU defenses. Sixty-eight ended poorly with one off only a couple of blowout losses Devaney ever had...that tarnished the year. the petitions were a total joke and Devaney loved to play it up with media over the years...TO learned from Devaney how to do that as well as how to coach football.

You are right to an extent. A 11-1 team can be better than a 12-0 team. But at 6-4, I seriously doubt they'd have been a "prime bowl catch." The '67 team lost twice to unranked teams and finished outside the top 10. '68 lost to an unranked team once, got demolished by OU, and also finished unranked.

Maybe he plan to sit some players down this week who are sulking? Maybe the changes people have been clamoring for are actually going to happen this week. Who knows?
I would hope so.

We have heard via the media the last two games that freshman were going to play significant minutes and then nothing.
So I will wait till 1100 Saturday to see but I remain concerned that past performance predicts future events pretty well so far this season, sigh.

GBR

Scot Frost today:

what the heck?

GBR
Are you really suggesting Frost kick players off the team who aren't overly excited about the last three games of the season?

Do you really know they aren't? You stated the team with the best record doesn't always win...well, bulletin, the best team doesn't always win either.

By the way, i and nobody else on this board EVER forfeits the ability to have an opinion....because it is an opinion. You should treasure that ability, since you rarely deal in facts.
Typical losing argument...1) don't answer the question asked and 2) change your argument.

You are right to an extent. A 11-1 team can be better than a 12-0 team. But at 6-4, I seriously doubt they'd have been a "prime bowl catch." The '67 team lost twice to unranked teams and finished outside the top 10. '68 lost to an unranked team once, got demolished by OU, and also finished unranked.
And please tell me how many P5 teams that win 6 games are left out of the bowl picture?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back