• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Have we learned anything as fans.

Frank Solich is 75 years old. He was 60 when he took the job at Ohio. Lets say after 5 years at Ohio he started to look for a better job, who is going to hire him at 65 years old.
Good question, but if he was a top notch coach, age wouldn't have mattered.

There's also a reason Solich is still at Ohio; he's not a cream of the crop coach.
There's nothing wrong with finding a place you like and settling in. He would have done the same at Nebraska, at least until some egomaniacal AD and chancellor wanted to replace him with Houston Nutt. Solich was the best coach Nebraska has had since Tom Osborne...let that sink in. (Frost may eventual own that title, but you can't give it to him at this point in time, unless you're basing it on "feelz."

Pelini was fired because another egomaniacal AD and chancellor decided that they could find a polished guy who could do a better job of kissing their ass representing Nebraska, to hell with the wins.

We find ourselves where we are today because of two bad AD hires and a chancellor who should have kept his nose out of the athletic department.

There's nothing wrong with finding a place you like and settling in. He would have done the same at Nebraska, at least until some egomaniacal AD and chancellor wanted to replace him with Houston Nutt. Solich was the best coach Nebraska has had since Tom Osborne...let that sink in. (Frost may eventual own that title, but you can't give it to him at this point in time, unless you're basing it on "feelz."

Pelini was fired because another egomaniacal AD and chancellor decided that they could find a polished guy who could do a better job of kissing their ass representing Nebraska, to hell with the wins.

We find ourselves where we are today because of two bad AD hires and a chancellor who should have kept his nose out of the athletic department.

Nice to see that the real Sonuvahusker is still in there somewhere!

Agree. Solich was loyal but I still contend he is not a top notch coach. Ohio is the perfect fit, IMO.

I was referring to the sell out streak. Also, to my knowledge, season ticket sales have not declined.

True. But -- when you start to see large chunks of empty seats in a season when they are already sold out -- it's an indicator of what may come soon if changes aren't made.

If we are struggling to get to .500 again next season, sure it will be a sellout. But, empty seats will start to appear.

Have we learned that you can’t just fire nine win coaches and expect better results. To all the fans that wanted pelini or solich fired i hope
You guys sit back and stop with the firing of winning coaches cause it’s cause of you guys we are such a mess as a program.
Bad athletic directors and university management had more to do with this than the fans. That being said:

Solich cooked his own goose with poor recruiting and thus the pressure was put on the AD to make a change.
Callahan was a D Coord away from being successful here. Easily the best recruiter since Osborne.
Pelini and Shawn Eichorst were a toxic mess... they destroyed each other. Pelini had success early with Cally's recruits.
Mike Riley was one of the worst hires in big time football history.

Combine those four things and you have your answer.

Last edited:
True. But -- when you start to see large chunks of empty seats in a season when they are already sold out -- it's an indicator of what may come soon if changes aren't made.

If we are struggling to get to .500 again next season, sure it will be a sellout. But, empty seats will start to appear.
I can tell you it's already pretty roomie up in the 96th row.

Mike Riley was one of the worst hires in big time football history.

Maybe so. But if Eichorst hadn't forced Bob Diaco on Riley (and Riley didn't bend over to accept it), there's a good chance Riley would still be here -- and winning 7-9 games per season. Diaco and Eichorst destroyed that regime -- for better or worse. Probably wouldn't have lasted much longer though, as Husker fans have little interest in anything sub-championship. :)

I can't blame anyone for preferring Frost over Riley. Any Nebraska fan would, understandably so. Unfortunately, we've thus far been given a big heaping pile of downgrade with the Frost hire. Hope and prayers won't work for sports, but it would be nice if Frost actually was a better Nebraska coach than Mike Riley.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back