• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Harmon Killebrew ends cancer treatment, enters hospice

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
I met him several times....he was one of my baseball hero's as a boy....a sweetheart of a person nad as classy a gentleman as I have ever met....God Bless him and his family as they go through the final days of his life....:(

“It is with profound sadness that I share with you that my continued battle with esophageal cancer is coming to an end,” Killebrew said in a statement issued by the Minnesota Twins. “With the continued love and support of my wife, Nita, I have exhausted all options with respect to controlling this awful disease. My illness has progressed beyond my doctors’ expectation of cure.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs..._enters_hospice/2011/05/13/AFTYAe2G_blog.html

Last edited:

sad indeed. met HK twice myself, have an an autographed ball from him as well as a mini statue of him on my desk (although i broke the damn bat off the statue during a move a few years back, but he's still perched right here with a half-stick). he is the original face of the twins, was my pops all-time favorite player, and along with carew and puck the best who ever wore the TC lid.

The urban legend that he was the model of the mlb logo (as jerry west was for nba) may have been dismissed, but certainly his character on and off the field would have made for a perfect fit for an enduring symbol of the game.

Broke my heart when the Washington Senators moved to Minn to become the Twins. Of course, when they moved they went on to the World Series and we had an expansion team that kept up the tradition of being "first in war, first in peace, and last in the American League". My condolences go out to HK and his family. They will be in my prayers.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back