• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hard to believe

bolt4

Recruit
2 Year Member
Its just hard for me to believe that NU is still just this far off, a 23 to 26 point underdog. When NU came into this conference they were OSUs equal or close to it as someone else said. NU has had the best recruiting class in the west for the last couple years, i know Zach Duval (Dave Ellis) have been doing their thing, we've been recruiting good to great players right? Everyone talking about Minnesota..... really, Purdue come on. I remember Nebraska putting up 66 on Northwestern, back then OSU was looking up at Nebraska. Martinez isn't really young anymore, so i guess what i'm asking is if NU keeps recruiting top of the west, RR or SOS how soon or how long will it take to get NU at least to respectable. It just feels to me that everyone thinks NU is just a joke or has NO chance to make the Big ten championship or to even compete with osu. I hope the players come out pissed off and punch osu in the mouth. I know the game hasnt been played yet, Martinez was TERRIBLE in the game last year, bad interceptions. Everyone's just "lets just put osu in the playoff with bama and clemson". I know no spring, no bowl game this is a weird year, NU recruited Martinez and or McCaffery to win a big championship.............right????

They gave Frost such a long contract for a reason, with every intention of needing that time. And while I have high hopes that we will see the improvement this year, I think it will be in his 5th year that we know how close we are. The depth this league requires demands a complete roster recruited to a system, in my opinion.

I agree that we haven't shown anything to put us ont he level of OSU and might not for a while, but the difficulties of the schedule, combined with the nonsense of the offseason and still working through a roster rebuild will take time.

OLB is one of the best examples, to me. When I look at recruiting to that position I see a clear plan and trend. They want length and guys that can run. It takes 4 classes to have 3 guys that can play the way they want. Looking at secondary recruiting, they are looking for bigger guys who can tackle well, in my opinion. No single class or year can fulfill the needs they had. I would also look at this year's WR recruiting. Bigger bodies everywhere and the lines are the perfect example.

I don't see anything in your post to necessarily disagree with and I sure hope we see the growth this year. And I really, really think we will. Though, the growth at some spots, like OL, WR, ILB, will also show how far we have to go at a few spots, too. Sometimes what we see as our weak spots are really just the spots that are yet to come along and are magnified by growth and improvement elsewhere.

Nobody in the B1G is close to OSU right now. Some of that point spread is due to their level of play annually. Combine that with our poor performance overall and the point spread is understandable. Remember that Vegas sets the spread with the purpose of enticing gamblers to bet fairly equally on both sides of the line. From a gamblers perspective, what would the spread have to be to put your money on Nebraska right now? It’s the first game of the season and the perception is OSU is a championship contender and all the gamblers know about Nebraska is that we haven’t been very good lately.

As far as recruiting, we continue to make strides and we have the talent to stack up against anyone in the West, although we’re still young and lack the depth we need. But like most of the B1G we’re not in the same universe as OSU on the recruiting trail. It’s going to be a climb. Fans are going to have to be very patient. The goal this season and next is to be in position to win the West. We need to establish ourselves as the best of the West and use that to leverage ourselves on the recruiting trail. Be very patient and enjoy the process. This is not a quick fix.

Last edited:

Always amused by threads that get started complaining about how bad we are and only mention the QB's as the issue. Using Martinez bad play as reasoning las year against Ohio State is an example. Ohio State had over 500 yards and 48 points at the end of the 3rd quarter. They hadn't even punted. Martinez was our leading rusher with 104 yards but he had 27 yards of sack losses because our line couldn't block. Our top running back only had 68 yards. Pretty sure the whole team played bad.

Lets be honest in that our game day coaching has left plenty to be desired imo. I'm a huge fan of HCSF but some of the game decisions were really questionable at best. Our coaching has to also be on par with teams like OSU along with our talent. If we're going to start beating teams like OSU then every aspect of the program has to be improved including coaching.

Lets be honest in that our game day coaching has left plenty to be desired imo. I'm a huge fan of HCSF but some of the game decisions were really questionable at best. Our coaching has to also be on par with teams like OSU along with our talent. If we're going to start beating teams like OSU then every aspect of the program has to be improved including coaching.
I think that’s fair. Frost is still learning. He has the potential to be great but he’s not there yet. That said, he’s our best bet to maximize our potential at Nebraska. Like I said, enjoy the process and be patient.

That a good point and very true Hville. The Husker defense wasn't able to stop them, at all, i wasn't trying to blame Martinez(for all of it anyway), and thats my point, lets talk defense then. We've been recruiting better players, better defenders, more speed at linebackers right? I'm just wondering when its gonna start to show on the field. I know its gonna take time, we are young, recruiting class after recruiting class, but NU should own this division and at least give osu or penn st all they can handle.

When we came into the Big Ten we may have been seen as close to equal but that was as much about short term circumstances and transition on Ohio State's part. They still had a more talented roster than we did, and that was when we still had a pretty good group ourselves.

But OSU is a different beast altogether now. For whatever reason the top prospects inclination to group together at just a few top programs has become more pronounced over the last decade. OSU, along with 2-3 other programs, have just insane rosters now.

Its just hard for me to believe that NU is still just this far off, a 23 to 26 point underdog. When NU came into this conference they were OSUs equal or close to it as someone else said. NU has had the best recruiting class in the west for the last couple years, i know Zach Duval (Dave Ellis) have been doing their thing, we've been recruiting good to great players right? Everyone talking about Minnesota..... really, Purdue come on. I remember Nebraska putting up 66 on Northwestern, back then OSU was looking up at Nebraska. Martinez isn't really young anymore, so i guess what i'm asking is if NU keeps recruiting top of the west, RR or SOS how soon or how long will it take to get NU at least to respectable. It just feels to me that everyone thinks NU is just a joke or has NO chance to make the Big ten championship or to even compete with osu. I hope the players come out pissed off and punch osu in the mouth. I know the game hasnt been played yet, Martinez was TERRIBLE in the game last year, bad interceptions. Everyone's just "lets just put osu in the playoff with bama and clemson". I know no spring, no bowl game this is a weird year, NU recruited Martinez and or McCaffery to win a big championship.............right????

Nebraska wasn't equal or close to Ohio State when we came into the Big Ten. Ohio State was a powerhouse under Jim Tressel for most of the decade before Nebraska joined the conference in 2011. No college program has been as consistently good this century as Ohio State has been. Finished top ten 15 of the past 18 years. Tressel to Meyer to Day has been quite successful.

Also, Nebraska almost always has had the best recruiting class in the Big Ten West. Since joining the Big Ten, the only year when the current West Division teams had a better recruiting class than Nebraska was 2014 (we finished 2nd to Wisconsin). Otherwise, our recruiting talent is always superior to the other teams in our division -- however, that gap has closed quite a bit in the past year or so. Our dominance in recruiting talent is rapidly fading.

We might have enough talent if it's coached well (and we limit mistakes) to make it interesting against Ohio State. But their talent is still far superior to ours. OSU would punch 90+% of FBS schools in the mouth.

Last edited:
And OSU has mostly sucked when they got to the playoffs or NC. Which means we have a really long way to go.

During the summer Ohio State was ranked as one of the top 2 teams in the country. I dont think Ohio State is a fair measuring stick this year. I was disheartened when our team seemingly gave up in many games including ohio state last year and hope we atleast come to battle this year.

I think all other games this year are fair to measure Nebraska against. 3 years should be enough time to compete against all other teams and win (by more than 1 possession) against the Illinois, Northwesterns, and Purdues of the Big 10. Wisconsin and Iowa lose a lot from last year. I like Frost and am hopeful he will get it done for Nebraska but if we should have a losing season again this year, it warrants some concern (even with the harder schedule). I predict improvement this year.

Hopefully, we can force some punts by OSU this outing. Their punter has been highly underutilized the last few meetings. Unfortunately, I’m not sure enough has changed on our side to assume this Saturday will be different.

Our talent has slowly dwindled the last few seasons. It is evident, not in star ratings, but the fact that we ended a streak of drafted players just two years ago.

Couple that with close losses, bad breaks and up against a Heisman QB and playoff contender is all you need to know about the line.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back