• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hamburgers

Bronco's. Every time I get back to Omaha I hit Bronco's. Basically Bronco's is how I want to die.

Had one of the best bacon Cheeseburgers this week at Mike's American Grill in Springfield VA. Juicy, flavorful, and delicious. Looked just like the picture! Beer selection was very good. Also had the smoked Salmon with Mashed potatoes. That was pretty good too.

Last edited:
Two best burgers I’ve ever eaten are Maple and Motor in Dallas and Nic’s in OKC. Have to have the grilled jalapeños at both places.

Over Christmas we went to Jean George in Philly. They had a cheeseburger for 38 dollars (I know the online menu says 26 but the updated menu was 38).

It was amazing! Holy crap it...not only was it the best hamburger I have ever had but one of the best dishes I have had. Every bite was incredible and the au jus by itself could have been a meal. The fries it came with were ok...

The next night we ordered in Cheese Steaks...There is nothing like a good philly cheese steak. It isn't like the greatest thing in the world but onions wit is the way to go.

The Windbreak Cafe in Wasilla serves up a burger that’s a mix of ground beef and hot Italian sausage. I’m here to tell you they're right good. No need for added seasoning as those things are already built into the sausage. The extra suet adds juicyness too. When I make them at home I usually use a 1 lbs to 1 lbs ratio. Going 2 lbs ground beef to 1 lbs works too if serving more people.

I think I just could not go $38 for a hamburger, even though I have on occasion spent a whole lot of money on food.

But I like simple hamburgers home made, good ground beef, grilled outdoors over charcoal and a bit of aromatic wood preferably hickory, then with a hearty layer of peanut butter on the good bun, either smooth or Chunky, and for me, that's perfect. Maybe on occasion lightly toast the bun.

I think I just could not go $38 for a hamburger, even though I have on occasion spent a whole lot of money on food.

But I like simple hamburgers home made, good ground beef, grilled outdoors over charcoal and a bit of aromatic wood preferably hickory, then with a hearty layer of peanut butter on the good bun, either smooth or Chunky, and for me, that's perfect. Maybe on occasion lightly toast the bun.
PB is one of my favorite foods, but on a burger?

It's below 0 outside, and I have my limits as to what I'll put up with in order to grill hamburgers, so I needed to come up with something that I could cook inside that would make me feel like I wasn't insulting the memory of the dead steer. I'd read some folks were using sausage mixed with hamburger, and I had originally wondered how they cooked that on the grill without it catching fire from the extra grease from the sausage? Thinking of that, voila!, I thought that this seemed like a good time to experiment with that sausage mix indoors. I liked the result. Here's my recipe if anybody is interested:
  • 1 lb of hot sausage
  • 1 1/2 lb of 90% lean ground beef (I think it was ground round, but whatever)
  • 3 Tablespoons of minced onions
  • 1 Tablespoon of garlic powder
  • 2 oz. of Worcestershire sauce

1. Warm a large fry pan to medium with a light coating of olive oil covering the bottom of the pan
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  3. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until everything is uniform
  4. Divide meat into patties in the size of your choice; like Mike Gundy, I'm a man(!), so I went with about 6 oz. each
  5. Place patties in frying pan for about 3 minutes per side to seal up the edges and firm up the patty
  6. Place patties in baking pan with spacing between them
  7. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes then flip over
  8. Bake an additional 5 minutes on second side (*Add cheese if desired; I melted mozzarella cheese on mine)
Depending on the thickness of your patties, they should be done about now.

To serve, I wiped just enough barbecue sauce on the buns to moisten them, added some lettuce slices and the mozzarella burger patty, and ... I'm full and happy.

Last edited:

It's below 0 outside, and I have my limits as to what I'll put up with in order to grill hamburgers, so I needed to come up with something that I could cook inside that would make me feel like I wasn't insulting the memory of the dead steer. I'd read some folks were using sausage mixed with hamburger, and I had originally wondered how they cooked that on the grill without it catching fire from the extra grease from the sausage? Thinking of that, voila!, I thought that this seemed like a good time to experiment with that sausage mix indoors. I liked the result. Here's my recipe if anybody is interested:
  • 1 lb of hot sausage
  • 1 1/2 lb of 90% lean ground beef (I think it was ground round, but whatever)
  • 3 Tablespoons of minced onions
  • 1 Tablespoon of garlic powder
  • 2 oz. of Worcestershire sauce

1. Warm a large fry pan to medium with a light coating of olive oil covering the bottom of the pan
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  3. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until everything is uniform
  4. Divide meat into patties in the size of your choice; like Mike Gundy, I'm a man(!), so I went with about 6 oz. each
  5. Place patties in frying pan for about 3 minutes per side to seal up the edges and firm up the patty
  6. Place patties in baking pan with spacing between them
  7. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes then flip over
  8. Bake an additional 5 minutes on second side (*Add cheese if desired; I melted mozzarella cheese on mine)
Depending on the thickness of your patties, they should be done about now.

To serve, I wiped just enough barbecue sauce on the buns to moisten them, added some lettuce slices and the mozzarella burger patty, and ... I'm full and happy.
I posted earlier in thread about mixing hot sausage and ground beef. In that post I recommended no additional seasoning as the hot sausage, at least to me, is adequate. Your suggestion of adding minced onion and garlic powder is interesting. But what really piques my interest is the Worcestershire. How did that work out? I would think it would be either really, really good or really, really not good.

For what it’s worth, I live in Alaska and am faced with A LOT of cold temps, so understand the reluctance to fire up the grill. For many reasons - including sub zero temperatures - I decided to go with a pellet grill. No flare ups with the extra sausage grease on the pellet grill.

I posted earlier in thread about mixing hot sausage and ground beef. In that post I recommended no additional seasoning as the hot sausage, at least to me, is adequate. Your suggestion of adding minced onion and garlic powder is interesting. But what really piques my interest is the Worcestershire. How did that work out? I would think it would be either really, really good or really, really not good.

For what it’s worth, I live in Alaska and am faced with A LOT of cold temps, so understand the reluctance to fire up the grill. For many reasons - including sub zero temperatures - I decided to go with a pellet grill. No flare ups with the extra sausage grease on the pellet grill.
I pretty much always add Worcestershire sauce to my burgers, so it's hard for me to say what they add versus knowing that they wouldn't taste right if I didn't add it.

I thought that they turned out great, fwiw.

I pretty much always add Worcestershire sauce to my burgers, so it's hard for me to say what they add versus knowing that they wouldn't taste right if I didn't add it.

I thought that they turned out great, fwiw.
Not that I can really recall, but I don't think I've ever made a hamburger with Worcestershire. Perhaps I will try it later this summer.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back