• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Haarberg Spring Game Throws

JBOCON

Recruit
2 Year Member
Just finished watching every throw attempted by HH in the spring game. When under pressure and forced out of the pocket, his mechanics break down. While this is a common issue for QBs, I did notice his percentage of errant throws rise when he is under pressure to complete the throw. This once again is a common problem we see in QBs. My question for the board is this. Can a QB be trained to maintain his mechanics while under pressure when a play breaks down? If so is this something that Coach Verdu works with our QBs on? Can a pocket passer be trained to become a throw on the run guy when needed? Our guys (AM, LS, HH) all seem to be able to avoid the rush due to their speed, agility, and athleticism. If a run lane is open great, however it seems to me our completion percentage as a team could and should be higher when throwing on the run. Hoping to get some feedback from those that know more than me.

Just finished watching every throw attempted by HH in the spring game. When under pressure and forced out of the pocket, his mechanics break down. While this is a common issue for QBs, I did notice his percentage of errant throws rise when he is under pressure to complete the throw. This once again is a common problem we see in QBs. My question for the board is this. Can a QB be trained to maintain his mechanics while under pressure when a play breaks down? If so is this something that Coach Verdu works with our QBs on? Can a pocket passer be trained to become a throw on the run guy when needed? Our guys (AM, LS, HH) all seem to be able to avoid the rush due to their speed, agility, and athleticism. If a run lane is open great, however it seems to me our completion percentage as a team could and should be higher when throwing on the run. Hoping to get some feedback from those that know more than me.
You came to the wrong place sir, we are all idiots here :Lol:

This is Verdus 'specialty'

I watched the NU - Tennessee game recently on BTN. They had a similar problem with their QB. His name was Pietown Manchild, or something like that. i also watched the game against Miami where NU won a national championship. It seems like the more pressure you can put a QB, the less effective they become. It’s like, if they are running for their lives, they just can’t do as good a job at completing passes. In the spring game, you can add in the 30-40 Mph winds and it’s a wonder he completed any.

I think the solution is to develop a top tier o-line and running game.

I watched the NU - Tennessee game recently on BTN. They had a similar problem with their QB. His name was Pietown Manchild, or something like that. i also watched the game against Miami where NU won a national championship. It seems like the more pressure you can put a QB, the less effective they become. It’s like, if they are running for their lives, they just can’t do as good a job at completing passes. In the spring game, you can add in the 30-40 Mph winds and it’s a wonder he completed any.

That said, you are using non-mobile, pocket passers as a reference. Peyton Manning was meant to throw from the pocket, so if the pocket collapsed, he was in trouble. There are plenty of quarterbacks these days who are designed to throw successfully on the run.

But yes, a quality o-line and running game will help any quarterback in any scheme.

That said, you are using non-mobile, pocket passers as a reference. Peyton Manning was meant to throw from the pocket, so if the pocket collapsed, he was in trouble. There are plenty of quarterbacks these days who are designed to throw successfully on the run.

But yes, a quality o-line and running game will help any quarterback in any scheme.

They are designed that way? If that’s the case, maybe we just need to get a copy of those blue prints and we can build our own.

Cmon brainiac, dumb it down for the rest of us

Adrian Martinez was designed that way. We just haven't done a good job of building from the foundation we were provided.

Let me try to understand. Who “designed” him to be able to throw under pressure while running for his life? And when did they do it? He didn't even play his senior HS season. Are you saying he was “designed“ in that he has God given talent that makes him more able to do that? Or are you suggesting he was genetically or mechanically altered, like Wolverine, to be able to do that?

I have to disagree that this staff hasn’t helped AM practice this skill. Our O-line takes a backseat to noone in the category of letting defenses chase down and otherwise put pressure on our QB’s over the last three seasons.

I'd take his arm strength and speed over the immediate mechanics breakdown. I'd bet every coach in the country would believe that you have a chance with training young talent. But I know nothing about, so I know less than you. But I do know that mental development is crucial. Take the live arm in need of training over a capable weak arm every day.

I'm hoping he develops enough over the summer to be our #2 QB, at least if there is an extended period of need. I also hope we don't have such a period.

Last edited:

I felt like Tommy Armstrong’s accuracy actually got better when he was scrambling.

Last edited:

Let me try to understand. Who “designed” him to be able to throw under pressure while running for his life? And when did they do it? He didn't even play his senior HS season. Are you saying he was “designed“ in that he has God given talent that makes him more able to do that? Or are you suggesting he was genetically or mechanically altered, like Wolverine, to be able to do that?

I have to disagree that this staff hasn’t helped AM practice this skill. Our O-line takes a backseat to noone in the category of letting defenses chase down and otherwise put pressure on our QB’s over the last three seasons.

I think you're trying too hard with my word choice.

I'll put it another way. Quarterbacks in the current era are much more apt to throw well under pressure, outside the pocket, than they were 20+ years ago. Sure, there were a few back then, but it's commonplace now. By "designed" I mean, taught. And by taught, I mean football players with that type of athletic ability were commonly placed in positions other than quarterback -- but more recently, coaches created offenses to take advantage of their skill set and put them into the quarterbacking position where their feet are almost important as their arms. Not long ago, arm strength and accuracy meant infinitely more than the ability to throw on the run -- because that's how offenses were designed (sorry, poor word choice). Russell Wilson is much more capable of throwing a dart and completing it while being chased than Peyton Manning. And yes, this is the same style of quarterbacking Martinez has always played. He was never a pro-style quarterback (which is a term that is fading quickly). He was and is a dual threat. Dual threat quarterbacks are much more capable of throwing well on the run, under pressure than pure pocket passers -- or that's what they are supposed to be able to do -- or "designed" to do.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back