• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Greg bell

Yes... Evans quit for a little while, and then was allowed to come back. He was never the same after he quit though. I think he then ended up transferring to somewhere like Emporia State.

Evans was incredible as a Freshman at NU. Didn't do much after that season though.

Yeah, that locker room scuffle leading to him breaking his tailbone probably contributed, both physically and in terms of team chemistry. Or so went the rumor at the time.

Evans tore pube ligaments. That hurts about an 8 of 10. The guy could have walked away from the game, but loved it too much so he tried to revive his career. I have no grievance with his situation. We lost a few super athletes on the team during his era to the same tears.

Much of your question has already been answered.

But to add -- San Diego State is a solid football program. Likely one of the top 4 or 5 non-power five programs this decade.

SDSU is 17th in FBS in total wins this decade. They've been to a bowl game every season, 2010-2018. And they've plugged running backs into the NFL. Obviously, Marshall Faulk. Currently, two SDSU RBs are on NFL rosters -- and a third earlier this decade.

It's not a slouch program.

All great answers and certainly makes sense about personal matters. However, it wasn't really the San Diego State thing that got me. They obviously have produced amazing players. It was the walk-on part I think that got me.

Evans tore pube ligaments. That hurts about an 8 of 10. The guy could have walked away from the game, but loved it too much so he tried to revive his career. I have no grievance with his situation. We lost a few super athletes on the team during his era to the same tears.
I don't know exactly what pube ligaments do, but that sounds like a terrible place to get an injury for many reasons!

All great answers and certainly makes sense about personal matters. However, it wasn't really the San Diego State thing that got me. They obviously have produced amazing players. It was the walk-on part I think that got me.

It is because the don't have any scholarships to give at the moment. I am sure if he wins the starting job they will free one up.

C

Much of your question has already been answered.

But to add -- San Diego State is a solid football program. Likely one of the top 4 or 5 non-power five programs this decade.

SDSU is 17th in FBS in total wins this decade. They've been to a bowl game every season, 2010-2018. And they've plugged running backs into the NFL. Obviously, Marshall Faulk. Currently, two SDSU RBs are on NFL rosters -- and a third earlier this decade.

It's not a slouch program.

Rocky Long has built a solid program. Loved watching Pumphrey and Penny. I feel the Heisman should have been Pumphrey's and it lost the little bit of legitimacy it had in my eyes after he didn't even get an invite. He and Penny both rushed for over 2k yards and neither got an invite, total hogwash.

C

Rocky Long has built a solid program. Loved watching Pumphrey and Penny. I feel the Heisman should have been Pumphrey's and it lost the little bit of legitimacy it had in my eyes after he didn't even get an invite. He and Penny both rushed for over 2k yards and neither got an invite, total hogwash.

C
Well they didn't play in the SEC so there's that...

SDSU is a very solid program right now. They play football under Rocky Long almost like a west coast Wisconsin. Run the ball and play good defense. Nothing flashy, just solid fundamental football.

It usually comes down to Boise St or SDSU for the Mt West title. The sad part is that nobody in San Diego cares. Right now they play in the Murph and have trouble getting 20,000 to watch a game by a team that is winning 9-10 games a year. When they tear down Jack Murphy they are going to build like a 30,000 seat stadium for SDSU football.

OK so now after two pages I for certain know. "SDSU is a solid program who has produced good running backs."

Yes... Evans quit for a little while, and then was allowed to come back. He was never the same after he quit though. I think he then ended up transferring to somewhere like Emporia State.

Evans was incredible as a Freshman at NU. Didn't do much after that season though.

I don't think he was ever let back on after he quit. If I remember right, he quit a few games into the 1999 season, upset that the offense had become more QB-run centric. I think you're thinking of the injury he had after the 1996 season. He didn't play at all in 1997 and got injured again in 1998 but you're right, he was never the same after his injury.

Correll Buckhalter quit too. Both came back but Solich said no to Evans, as teammates claimed he was a toxic presence, but Solich obviously let Buckhalter return. Some folks thought this was a sign of poor leadership by Solich - why let one back and not the other? Frank was very much under the microscope and heavily scrutinized especially early in 1999. That was a great team but early in the year they really struggled badly on offense.

Crouch never officially quit and never actually ended up missing a practice. By all accounts he beat out Newcombe for the job but Frank gave the job to Bobby initially anyway.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back