• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Greg Bell

Oh, see, you got that wrong, again. South Dakota State was established in 1881.

You sure about that MABC ... South Dakota State and not Territory? We didn’t gain statehood till 1889!! :Biggrin:

Oh, had family attend both Universities. Got snowed in at your Dakota Dome in ‘82 following a track meet too.

Last edited:
Just for the record, I have lived in Houston for over 30 years; previously I lived in Nebraska for the balance of my existence. I have family that went to USD (Vermilion for clarity). I thought it at least 50/50 if not more that SDSU meant the Jackrabbits. So I checked out both the Aztecs and the Jackrabbits to see if he had signed with either. Given the Jackrabbits have had some pretty strong years in FCS, it isn't out of the question that a strong FCS program would get the "real" attached to it. It also isn't out of the question that Bell will wind up in an FCS program.

I posted "real" SDSU because I know people in Nebraska and the surrounding area refer to South Dakota as SDSU. People take things way to seriously. Bell was going to be next in line after Pumphrey and Penny but academics sent him to JUCO. I sure wish it would have worked out for him to have made it to SDSU, probably would have been a better season this year for them.

Have the Jackrabbits ever beaten Stanford?C

For the record, I went to USD-Vermillion, so I do, in fact, "Hate State," which is required by state law, and it's only out of patriotic fervor for my home state that I find myself in the odious position of defending those in-bred, toothless cow-punchers with their annoying cow bells. SDSU is a fine institution and is comparable to its older, smarter brother--USD--in all things besides academics and athletics.

I'd like to point out that neither SDSU has defeated Nebraska, though those Jack@$$rabbits scared some poo-poo out of me in 2010 when I would have preferred the Apocalypse to having to hear State fans brag about beating Nebraska. On the other hand, guess which USD has defeated the Cornhuskers?

Last edited:
You sure about that MABC ... South Dakota State and not Territory? We didn’t gain statehood till 1889!!
Yes, I'm sure. Both USD and SDSU were established before statehood. SDSU was 1881, and USD was 1861, which is why most USD graduates are at least 20 years ahead of those animal necrophiliacs up north.

You sure about that MABC ... South Dakota State and not Territory? We didn’t gain statehood till 1889!! :Biggrin:

Oh, had family attend both Universities. Got snowed in at your Dakota Dome in ‘82 following a track meet too.
I want to attend the Nebraska-SDSU game and show Nebraska fans a level of hate that would frighten them, their children, and their parents; on the other hand, I'd be homicidal if it turned out to be a close game. In case you're wondering, yes, I have participated in throwing dead jackrabbits onto the floor at U-State games, and, yes, it felt right. It was a great tradition. I thought that it would have set the right tone to occasionally throw out some dead Norwegians, too, when we played the Augustana Vikings, but people get all testy about that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Well, that is an interesting factoid on USD — established 8 years before NU.

I’ll have to ask my cousin’s boy, a freshman animal science major at Brookings if the dislikes are mutual. ;)

At least neither schools have become a prison like the one my mother once attended in Springfield.

Well, that is an interesting factoid on USD — established 8 years before NU.

I’ll have to ask my cousin’s boy, a freshman animal science major at Brookings if the dislikes are mutual. ;)

At least neither schools have become a prison like the one my mother once attended in Springfield.
I can assure you that the hatred is mutual. Almost everyone who attends either school had the other in their final choices, but once you show up on campus, the hate is real. We used to research the personal histories of the State players in both basketball and football so that we could sit behind/beside their bench and get them more than a little distracted. It was brutal ... and effective. If your dad went to prison, you were going to hear about it. We also liked to pick some schlump on the bench and start cheering for him to get in the game, complaining about him not getting playing time, etc. Those guys loved us.

That would be two "l"s in Vermillion when you're talking about the home of THE University of South Dakota. Yes, that is NOT how to spell the color: We don't like making things too easy for outsiders.
Funny, I spelled it with two l's and it came up on this stupid HuskerMax spell checker as wrong. Know it is a French word and thought it had a double l like Papillion... Well, I fell for the spell checker over ancient experience. I am learning to hate spell checkers and auto-wrong. Wikipedia also said the color sometimes is spelled with two l's; and I have always understood the name to be a reference to the color.

Last edited:
Have the ‘Huskers? I only recall one game. And the Bobfather wryly observed he was here about four years before he learned the outcome.

Stanford? That's your measure for acclaim? Fwiw, Nebraska is 0-1 against Stanford all time, so ... thanks for bringing that up.

Have the Aztecs produced the world's all-time best clutch field goal kicker?
1*8h-EA5xJXlPSF7EzWlY00Q.jpeg

Fwiw, Vinatieri is a world-class human being. My mom worked at the nursing home where his grandfather spent the last several years of his life. Vinatieri came to visit all of the time, and he always had time for nurses' aids requests for autographs, etc. He grew up by Yankton, near where I grew up.

SDSU 20 Stanford 17

:Biggrin:

Go Aztecs!
9809_san_diego_state_aztecs-primary-1978.gif

C

Last edited:

Funny, I spelled it with two l's and it came up on this stupid HuskerMax spell checker as wrong. Know it is a French word and thought it had a double l like Papillion... Well, I fell for the spell checker over ancient experience. I am learning to hate spell checkers and auto-wrong. Wikipedia also said the color sometimes is spelled with two l's; and I have always understood the name to be a reference to the color.
Vermillion is the colour on one of my cars

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back