• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Greatest Husker RB

Career Stats:

Rush YDRush TDReceiving YDReceiving TDP/K YDP/K TD
Rozier47804921624491
Phillips277730192000
Green38804230031000
Abdullah458839690719082

I've got to give Ameer some love, as he's the statistical leader in All Purpose Yards at NU. He was just 200 yards shy of Rozier on the ground - AND he racked up almost 700 yards receiving AND another +1900 yards on P/K Returns.

For comparison, Johnny Rodgers managed 2300 special teams yards. Ameer was basically equivalent to the rushing and P/K production of TWO different Heisman winners, combined. He almost caught Rozier on the ground and he was a respectable 2nd place to The Jett on Special Teams.

The other three guys are what I'd classify as prototypically running backs (ie: Barry Sanders, Herschel Walker, etc), but Ameer was just an all-purpose guy who racked up yards and TDs whenever, and however, he obtained the ball. It's also worth noting he got a ton of those yards backing up Burkhead and Helu, who weren't exactly disappointments in their own production.

The other thing to remember is that Rozier, LP and Green all had championship-level talent around them at OL and killer Blackshirt squads that could get the ball back for the offense to capitalize. Ameer had, like... TMagic/Armstrong and Kenny Bell? Burkhead? And a couple of guys like Nate Gerry and Randy Gregory to try and get the ball back to the offense. Ameer by far and away carried his teams to wins more than the other guys, IMO.

Last edited:
Duck, do you your stats not include Bowl games? I coulda sworn LP had a receiving TD against the Gators or was that throwback pass a little backerds?

Career Stats:

Rush YDRush TDReceiving YDReceiving TDP/K YDP/K TD
Rozier47804921624491
Phillips277730192000
Green38804230031000
Abdullah458839690719082

I've got to give Ameer some love, as he's the statistical leader in All Purpose Yards at NU. He was just 200 yards shy of Rozier on the ground - AND he racked up almost 700 yards receiving AND another +1900 yards on P/K Returns.

For comparison, Johnny Rodgers managed 2300 special teams yards. Ameer was basically equivalent to the rushing and P/K production of TWO different Heisman winners, combined. He almost caught Rozier on the ground and he was a respectable 2nd place to The Jett on Special Teams.

The other three guys are what I'd classify as prototypically running backs (ie: Barry Sanders, Herschel Walker, etc), but Ameer was just an all-purpose guy who racked up yards and TDs whenever, and however, he obtained the ball. It's also worth noting he got a ton of those yards backing up Burkhead and Helu, who weren't exactly disappointments in their own production.

The other thing to remember is that Rozier, LP and Green all had championship-level talent around them at OL and killer Blackshirt squads that could get the ball back for the offense to capitalize. Ameer had, like... TMagic/Armstrong and Kenny Bell? Burkhead? And a couple of guys like Nate Gerry and Randy Gregory to try and get the ball back to the offense. Ameer by far and away carried his teams to wins more than the other guys, IMO.
Good post. But keep in mind that bowl games didn't count for stats in the 80's.

In his day, Bobby Reynolds.
I thought of him, though I don't know how well he would stack up in the modern day. Who knows, he could make a good "slash" guy.

On the other hand, his sophomore year was by far his best. He got injured somewhere in there, and never was quite the same after that.

Last edited:

I thought of him, though I don't know how well he would stack up in the modern day. Who knows, he could make a good "slash" guy.

On the other hand, his sophomore year was by far his best. He got injured somewhere in there, and never was quite the same after that.
He would not stack up against today's players, and none of the players from that era would. But for his day.....

I'd vote for Rozier. Yes he had a lot of talent around him but he had a lot of talent himself. It'd be great to see a RB emerge now that could be mentioned in the same breath as some of the studs we've had in the past.

Id love to see Abdullah play with the talent that the other teams had. He was awesome, easily in top 3 players since pelini became coach..... talent, results, leadership, character..... he had it all, with 8-5, & 9-4 teams.

Had phillips not skipped his sr yr and played in the other 8 games he was suspended, that'd prob
put him past rozier as rushing leader...... he is short 2000 yds, and he missed prob 22 games. something
tells me with those teams, he woulda averaged 90 yds per game.

hard to deny rozier being #1, based on results, but phillips did have more raw talent

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back