• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Great OWH read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great article. I'm sure the DC haters won't think so, but that's their right.

We're really just seeing the tip of the iceberg in terms of where this is all going and I can't wait to see it all unfold.

I think that might be best thing I've ever read from Dirk. He did a terrific job of showing contrasting styles without taking cheap shots at anyone. He explained the problems last year without pointing fingers at anyone. It was just a great piece of journalism IMO.

One of my favorite tunes is Turn the Page by Bob Seger.....

On the almost eve of a huge game it's time to... TURN THE PAGE.

Last edited:
What an amazing article. Interesting explanation of how last year unfolded. There are lots of coaching styles out there, and more than one way that can work, but I really like this approach. I have a feeling that each halftime of a game this year when the Huskers were trailing, this calm approach contributed to how the team performed in the second half.

Hip hip hooray.

My only beef with this excellent piece is the "..what happens for example, when he has a poor crop of leaders?" line. I firmly believe that out of 100 players on the team at any given time you will have a core group that will emerge as the kind of leaders the team needs. They won't all lead the same way but they will be there and they will emerge if given the right incubator, and that's what HCMR provides. Beats the heck out of relying on one maniacal leader who can't control himself.

One of my favorite bits of many.

"... He’s not gonna compromise one little thing to get a quick fix. He wants ... a sustained culture.”

I always liked how MR handles the Tunnel Walk.

C

Last edited:

Attachments

• ae3a3070f78db9b4273d9fe278ddcbe5777471b636bdd1f8c3a4907a1e743f91.jpg
    ae3a3070f78db9b4273d9fe278ddcbe5777471b636bdd1f8c3a4907a1e743f91.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 93
In the end, it is the players team. They either make it happen, or the don't. If they fail, they need to look in the mirror. What they will see is themselves, not a coach. The disipline necessary to succeed comes from within.

I hope every recruit reads that article. Every current player should relay the message of self accountability to recruits. it is an impressive and powerful message for a young kid hear.

In the end, it is the players team. They either make it happen, or the don't. If they fail, they need to look in the mirror. What they will see is themselves, not a coach. The disipline necessary to succeed comes from within.

I hope every recruit reads that article. Every current player should relay the message of self accountability to recruits. it is an impressive and powerful message for a young kid hear.
It's also a great reason for parents to send their kids to play at Nebraska IMO.

I think that might be best thing I've ever read from Dirk. He did a terrific job of showing contrasting styles without taking cheap shots at anyone. He explained the problems last year without pointing fingers at anyone. It was just a great piece of journalism IMO.

One of my favorite tunes is Turn the Page by Bob Seger.....

On the almost eve of a huge game it's time to... TURN THE PAGE.
Agreed. Did not see this thread and posted these thoughts about the article in the practice thread.
Loved this quote.
“Taking over a losing program is easy because they wanna change,” linebackers coach Trent Bray said. “When you take over a team that won nine games, you can’t come in and say, ‘We’re changing this because you were bad.’
Seems like this has been stated about 100 times in about 100 different ways on the board.

Also liked this. Talking about personal responsibility.
Taking orders from a strong personality has its value. But at crunch time, Bray says, “the same buy-in isn’t there.”

“When it’s yours, you won’t let that slip through your fingers. You won’t let things fade away. Just that little bit of mentality is a big difference when it comes to close games.”

Oh and by the way that is the favorite of a lot of Nebraskans because it mentions Omaha. Although ironically because of the description of where they are. "On a long lonesome highway east of Omaha." The tour bus is clearly in Iowa. It is also a very good song though.

really like how the senior leadership took care of the late for workout problem with the younger guys.
[move em out]. that's a good example of taking ownership.

Mostly insightful article, but the mr/bp comparison so lame and useless. It would have been just as good of an article without. Fans are moving on and dirk needs to as well to be credible.(geez bo must have spooked dirk real good, spit on his donut, sneezed on his iPhone, etc.,etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back