• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Great Guitar Build Off 2020

HUSKER HOT SAUCE

Be Yourself - Everyone Else Is Already Taken
10 Year Member
Any body else watched or still watching the unofficial build off? I found it to be quite awesome myself. The Official build off ended this past Saturday, but the unofficial part is still going. Some great builders out there, with some killer ideas and work. Here is one of my faves in this, even though she used a kit, her final product was amazing to me. Texas Toast Guitars are pretty cool too.

I don’t have the patience nor technical ability to build a guitar. I do, however, appreciate a good builder. Here’s my Rick Kelly Drophorn. Huge fat neck, super lightweight pine, engraved pine pick guard, and no pickup selector.

97246BBA-89BF-40C7-B6FF-4212DDE2DD8A.jpeg

And here’s a Springer Spartan. It’s an LP Jr type build from Springer, an up and coming German builder. It’s Spanish cedar with a Haussel (awesome German pickup maker) P-90

F244C2E1-21CF-44B5-BB19-7337C1AA86F4.jpeg

And here’s a Springer Spartan. It’s an LP Jr type build from Springer, an up and coming German builder. It’s Spanish cedar with a Haussel (awesome German pickup maker) P-90

View attachment 52592
While I do like the T type, this one here looks like it would be super fun to play. Very nice indeed.

Last edited:
While I do like the T type, this one here looks like it would be super fun to play. Very nice indeed.
It’s a super fun player. The fret wire took a minute to get used to. They’re stainless steel and super tall. I’m used to a little closer to vintage style frets. If you like the Springer, you’ll probably dig this Nik Huber Krautster II. Huber is another German builder. Haussel P-90 in the back, Hausssel 59 with coil splitting up front. 25 inch scale. Maple neck, hog body.

205DA10C-D018-4179-BE3B-BFB4B72C2FAE.jpeg

It’s a super fun player. The fret wire took a minute to get used to. They’re stainless steel and super tall. I’m used to a little closer to vintage style frets. If you like the Springer, you’ll probably dig this Nik Huber Krautster II. Huber is another German builder. Haussel P-90 in the back, Hausssel 59 with coil splitting up front. 25 inch scale. Maple neck, hog body.

View attachment 52598
Love the looks of it.... but, P-90 at the neck and H at the bridge, or am I missing something here. It looks a lot like a Danelectro and I love the idea of that split coil.

Love the looks of it.... but, P-90 at the neck and H at the bridge, or am I missing something here. It looks a lot like a Danelectro and I love the idea of that split coil.

It’s perfect for someone like me who doesn’t have much use for neck humbuckers (or neck pickups in general). The Haussel P-90 is super open and not particularly compressed and mid-focused, so it’s a nice change of pace from the bridge bucker.

It’s perfect for someone like me who doesn’t have much use for neck humbuckers (or neck pickups in general). The Haussel P-90 is super open and not particularly compressed and mid-focused, so it’s a nice change of pace from the bridge bucker.
I bought that Slick guitar a while back, and it has that single Humbucker at the bridge pickup with only the sound knob, and for the little money I paid for it, it has been fantastic, right out of the box. The one thing I am thinking of doing is swapping out tuners for locking tuners, but other than that, I've been straight up digging it.

Last edited:
I don’t have the patience nor technical ability to build a guitar. I do, however, appreciate a good builder. Here’s my Rick Kelly Drophorn. Huge fat neck, super lightweight pine, engraved pine pick guard, and no pickup selector.

View attachment 52591
You like the pine body? I just ordered my first pine guitar from Novo Guitars (Dennis Fano) in Nashville. I'm 4 months into a 9 month wait:( I keep hoping Covid will result in everyone ahead of me cancelling their orders.

You like the pine body? I just ordered my first pine guitar from Novo Guitars (Dennis Fano) in Nashville. I'm 4 months into a 9 month wait:( I keep hoping Covid will result in everyone ahead of me cancelling their orders.
I just went through a bitching fit with fedex for a guitar I ordered. UGH! Went through 3 different "Supervisors" and the company I bought from to finally get my 6 string obsession delivered. It turned out to be worth the wait, but I truly dislike fedex as a company.

I bought that Slick guitar a while back, and it has that single Humbucker at the bridge pickup with only the sound knob, and for the little money I paid for it, it has been fantastic, right out of the box. The one thing I am thinking of doing is swapping out tuners for locking tuners, but other than that, I've been straight up digging it.

One pickup is all you need. My $.02, If you’re digging it, leave the tuners alone (unless, of course, you’re having major tuning issues). Sometimes the tiniest changes can screw up the whole vibe and feel.

Love it. I don’t get too caught up in guitar weight but, holy cow, it’s unbelievably light and super resonant when unplugged. I’ve never owned a Fano but he has a stellar reputation and builds some really cool and unique instruments. Let us know when you finally get your mitts on it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back