• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Great Fights

• Thread starter Deleted member 3889
  • Start date

"They're eating them, they're not screwin' 'em to death."

I'd say a .308 or 180 gr. 300 Win Mag should put a feral cat down pretty humanely.
When I lived in Kabul, there were so many feral cats that they would pull open the screen door to sneak into our kitchen and eat our food. I don't know how many cats it was, but in one night they once ate most of 11 lb of frozen hamburger that had been left out to thaw (5 kg package). I got approval from the admin who got approval from the home office to get a .22 caliber air rifle, a 4x scope, and some ballistic tip pellets. It's been long enough that I forget the statistics, but I never missed a cat that I shot at (unless I hit him with a follow-up; i.e.--every cat was hit that was shot at), and only two got far enough away after being hit hard that I couldn't collect the bodies. (Both times they went out into the street by other people, and I didn't want them to know what had happened.) Incidentally, there were so many feral dogs in the neighborhood that I would leave the cats in the garbage piles, and the dogs would eat them. The gun had something go wrong with the piston, which was probably my fault, so I only had it in service for about 5-6 months, but I think that I killed something like 18 cats. It usually had to be clandestine because there were female staff members who would have lost their minds if they had known, but the guys who lived in my house kept track of who was opposed or not, and I had lots of staff members scouting for me. There were a couple of shots that took place in the courtyard in front of the full-length dining room windows with an audience inside to watch. Good times!

Do you know who absolutely approved? The Afghans who worked with us. The first time I put the scope onto the rifle after receiving it in a shipment, I took it out on the balcony to take a shot to just try and get it on paper. At that exact moment a cat wandered into the courtyard below me and stopped and looked at me like it was daring me to do something about its being there; so I did. I took a shot, and it squealed and ran out into the alleyway. I knew that I hit it somewhere hard in the thorax by how it responded, but I didn't see the impact. The next night I shot another one inside of our kitchen. While I was disposing of the body, an Afghan worker came in to see what was going on. I showed him the dead cat and the air rifle as I was cleaning everything up; he got excited and hurried away. I couldn't imagine that he'd be upset because he just was too salty to be opposed to killing a feral cat in the kitchen, so I didn't know what to expect when he came back with another Afghan who spoke English and could translate. He knew by looking that it was an air rifle, and he saw the dead cat, so it wasn't hard to figure out what had happened, but he wanted to know something else: had I shot a cat in the courtyard the night before at around 6:30? I said, "Yeah, why?" They started laughing. They said that they had been chatting in the alley at that time when they heard a cat squeal, come running out of the courtyard into the alley, and then fall over dead at their feet. They had looked it over and saw the hole, but there was no exit wound, and they hadn't heard a shot or seen anybody, so it had been a mystery. We were close friends (sincerely) from that point on. He was learning English, and we talked about shooting and hunting a lot.

Last edited:

I remember watching this on Sportscenter the day after. Nolan Ryan whipped up Robin Ventura

I almost put that one in my posts above, but I always liked Robin Ventura, and he admitted afterwards that he felt obligated to charge the mound, even though he idolized Nolan Ryan. I guess if your choices are between NOT charging the mound or just standing there while your boyhood idol pounds you in the head, I'd probably recommend going with NOT charging the mound.

Roberto Duran and Sugar Ray Leonard -1980

Duran vs Leonard II.jpg

Last edited:

I fought in every weight class from 138lbs to Light Heavyweight as I grew up and I don't think there was a weight class with more competition, harder punchers and more action than Middleweight.

We had some awesome middleweight fighters in our lifetimes.

That was one of the fights that cemented my love of boxing. It’s also the first time I remember thinking the judges got it wrong.

Yeah, I was a Hagler guy from day one. Thought he won the fight, but I can't pretend I wasn't biased. Leonard did earn my respect that day. He was a hell of a fighter as well.

I fought in every weight class from 138lbs to Light Heavyweight as I grew up and I don't think there was a weight class with more competition, harder punchers and more action than Middleweight.

We had some awesome middleweight fighters in our lifetimes.

If I had to guess, I’d say I’ve probably watched more fights at 147 than any other weight class. The last 25 years have produced some great welterweights.

Same same. I was just a kid and liked the Hagler bruiser style. I didn’t appreciate how great Leonard was until later.

The first time I saw him fight was his draw against Antoufrermo in '79 and was just amazed at both fighters relentlessness, but Hagler's muscularity was amazing. He looked huge for a middle weight, especially for to the teenage welterweight watching him.

If I had to guess, I’d say I’ve probably watched more fights at 147 than any other weight class. The last 25 years have produced some great welterweights.

True. The last middle weight I wouldn't miss was Hopkins. Boxing has wained and the only classes that have stayed consistently good have been the smaller classes fed by latin and asian fighters.

Middleweight is where the power comes in, IMO. Things change quickly at 160 or 168. Harder punchers and the knockout power is much more evident.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back