• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Great defense!

hand-with-index-and-middle-fingers-crossed_1f91e.png

It's kind of interesting how the 'Hedge' morphed into the 'Blitz'. There are ways to reduce the impact of it if you have the right personnel. First, if you use more perimeter people in a PNR game, you can create some match up problems if you can force a switch. You can help do that by having the ball handler attack the blitzer so he'll have to make the choice of getting back to his man, or calling for a switch. If they don't switch, that hard drive to take both defenders away and creates space the picker can slide into for a nice look. That same thing works if you have a inside guy who can set the pick, then roll into the space vacated by the ball handler, and shoot a 3. Lat could be that guy, or the new kid coming in next year. Look at how Garza can create problems when he decides to step back instead of rolling to the hole. I can't find the video, but I think that's how Lake got his first 3 against Doane. They tried to blitz (trap) the ball handler, and Lake just moved into that open space and was ready for a catch and shoot. Doc actually looks like he takes the Blitz a step further and cheats the off side defender a little to try to cut off that pass back to the picker if he tries to fill that space. It's one thing to make a 12-15 foot pass while being trapped, it's another to stretch it to 20-25 feet having to go all the way to the corner to find someone open. Doc is always moving guys around, so he keeps playing defense fun, because getting steals is fun.

Yvan is lucky most of his assignments have rolled back toward the lane, but even when they haven't, he's a really good athlete, and has been quick enough to get back to cover. A few times he's been late, and that's usually led to him fouling, but he's got really good defensive footwork, anticipation and positioning for a young, big guy. I just wish he could be a shot blocker as well, but that just doesn't seem to be in his arsenal. He's a really good position defender, but not an eraser.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back