• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Gopher Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedMax

Administrator
Staff member
20 Year Member
Last week I posted the pre-game version of a Minnesota Gopher fan newsletter. Here is the post-game version. It was a pleasure to host Dave and his friends.

Gophernews111812.jpg

Everyone was nice this weekend except the Nebraska football team. They beat the tar out of our poor boys. It was one of those games where it was hard to watch. It looked like a college team playing a junior college team. In reality, they are not that much better of a football team than us. There was something else going on yesterday. Nebraska was all fired up to play with many of their old players back in town. It was Tom Osborne's last home game where he held an active position in their athletic department. This was the 500th Nebraska home game he has had a hand in. At half time there was a long tribute to him. The high esteem they held him in was obvious. Emotions were running at a fever pitch in the stadium. It was clear the Nebraska players were feeding off it. Now that does not explain why the Gopher team came out and played with such a lack of fire in their belly. Maybe it was due to the emotional win at Illinois last week and the clinching of a Bowl game? I don't know what it was, but it looked like we came to play the role of the sacrificial lamb. Whatever the case, the boys are going to have to toughen up and get their heads screwed on straight before a desperate Michigan State comes to town. In my opinion, we will look much better this week.

We rolled into town on Friday afternoon. One of our friends who travelled with us was able to use her father's 30' RV. Talk about traveling in style. It was first class. Two of our cohorts who drove on their own arrived in Lincoln before us. Since they had an hour to kill, they went to a local pub to have a beer and some food. When they were ready to pay their bill they were informed that a Nebraska fan had paid it for them. That set the tone for the weekend. That night we ended up at an establishment known as the Single Barrel. We walked in and asked for a table for nine. As we were waiting I noticed they were setting up a table right in front of the stage. The Sidetrack Band plays there and has played together for more than 30 years. The keyboard player was a 78 year old woman. The reason we were put in front is the band likes to harass the visiting fans and they couldn't have found a better group than us. We had a lot of fun with the fans and the band that night.

The next day we were invited to a tailgate put on by Huskermax.com. This is a wonderful tailgate and a great way to meet people. There were about 500 people there with most of them being Nebraska fans. I can't tell you how many times people came up to us and asked if we were having a good time or how we were being treated.

Gophernews111812-2.jpg

We were told to not bring any food or drink and just show up and they would provide the hospitality. I will give them an A+ as David Max and his group were true to their word. We had plenty of food, drink and friendship. Former Nebraska running backs Johnny Rodgers and Calvin Jones were roaming around the tailgate posing for pictures with everyone. We couldn't have asked for a better place to tailgate. Thanks David and Ron for all of the great hospitality. Next year, if you come up to the Minnesota game, please come to our tailgate and let us return the favor.

Go Gophers! David Herbeck

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back