• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Goodyear Cotton Bowl Canceled

I'm stunned UF QB Kyle Trask didn't opt out of this game, especially after his top two targets TE Kyle Pitts and WR Kadarius Toney decided not to play. Even if he (hopefully) escapes the game uninjured, his 3 INT first quarter tape isn't going to help him.
looks like he opted out in a way.

the way Riley turned the team around with the young QB, looking like 9/18 in norman could turn ugly in a hurry. Long way away though and sooners still won't be confused as a defensive powerhouse. Yeah, they picked off trask, but felt trask had a great year but the level of competition he played against lacked something. My opinion

ESPN was having a melt down that one of their super hyped SEC was getting drilled. Thought it was hilarious pointing out every minute to listeners what FL players opted out. If this is the new normal perhaps it's time to simply do away with all bowls except those that are part of the playoffs. If players think so little of playing them why should people bother to watch them? Expand the playoffs to 8 teams and let the lessor bowls fall into the dustbin of history. I say again if the best players don't care about playing in them it turns them into hyped up scrimmages and nothing more.

ESPN was having a melt down that one of their super hyped SEC was getting drilled. Thought it was hilarious pointing out every minute to listeners what FL players opted out. If this is the new normal perhaps it's time to simply do away with all bowls except those that are part of the playoffs. If players think so little of playing them why should people bother to watch them? Expand the playoffs to 8 teams and let the lessor bowls fall into the dustbin of history. I say again if the best players don't care about playing in them it turns them into hyped up scrimmages and nothing more.

The playoffs were probably the worst thing to happen to the sport. I heard yesterday that only 11 teams have ever made the playoff. The bowls have become meaningless. Only a handful of teams have a realistic shot at the playoffs, and are given the easiest path each year by their conferences. The clock is ticking on college football.

The playoffs were probably the worst thing to happen to the sport. I heard yesterday that only 11 teams have ever made the playoff. The bowls have become meaningless. Only a handful of teams have a realistic shot at the playoffs, and are given the easiest path each year by their conferences. The clock is ticking on college football.
Sadly true but now the only way forward is to expand what's killing the sport? Bowls are completely meaningless and players don't even want to play them. So either get rid of the playoffs (not happening) or expand to 8, 10, 12... take you pick. Perhaps the bowls need to hand out stuff like new SUV's for MVP, etc but that's probably already happening at some schools! Money UNDER the table is fine long as you don't get caught. So in 6 years only 11 teams have enjoyed the playoffs while the other 116 teams can sit home and watch it on TV. How does any of this help the sport of college football? Answer it doesn't and now with the richer getting richer because of recruiting it's only going to get worse.

Watching the OU game last night I was wondering how many Husker players could crack OU's starting lineup? The answer was so depressing I willed myself to stop thinking about it. Player after OU player was some super hotshot HS player that we have ZERO chance of landing. Watching a RSFR just rip it up while we have a 3rd year starter that probably couldn't make OU's team. I've been losing my enthusiasm for college football and with good reason imo. Really look forward to playing OU at their house next season.... NOT!!!

Thank you, now I know why we play Ohio State every year. ;) As much as I thought I would enjoy the playoffs they are getting incredibly boring. I think there has been a ton of parity established in college football but the current kings of the sport are not coming back to the pack anytime soon. I don't have a clue how you fix that.

"SEC!, SEC!, SEC!" or so we're told.
Espn did their best to support their brand with constant excuses.

OU got 296 yards rushing from their top two RB's.

Florida's tackling reminded me of the Fiesta Bowl and DONU: :).

Fond memories of days gone by........

GBR

Not looking forward to the game in Norman next year. These guys are at a completely different level than NU right now.

Oh man! That game next year is gonna be a straight up slaughterhouse. I think Frost & Moos need to take a page out of Bill Snyder's Non-Conference game scheduling book and get games against the likes of The Citadel, UMass, New Mexico State, UTEP, Howard, UNLV, etc. Get out of the Oklahoma series, Texas A&M series, and Georgia series. Those will be Boat-Raced City!

Oh man! That game next year is gonna be a straight up slaughterhouse. I think Frost & Moos need to take a page out of Bill Snyder's Non-Conference game scheduling book and get games against the likes of The Citadel, UMass, New Mexico State, UTEP, Howard, UNLV, etc. Get out of the Oklahoma series, Texas A&M series, and Georgia series. Those will be Boat-Raced City!

We need a good "rope a dope" strategy.

1609436558268.png

OU is not invincible. They can be had. Matt Campbell and his roster full of 2 and 3* players beat them, and really coulda, shoulda beat them again if Purdy doesn’t have a brain fart. Thats all attitude and coaching up the players they have. OU will be pumped by most media next year as a serious challenger, and probably rightfully so, but they aren’t Alabama, or anything close to that.

OU is not invincible. They can be had. Matt Campbell and his roster full of 2 and 3* players beat them, and really coulda, shoulda beat them again if Purdy doesn’t have a brain fart. Thats all attitude and coaching up the players they have. OU will be pumped by most media next year as a serious challenger, and probably rightfully so, but they aren’t Alabama, or anything close to that.
Agree. But sadly we are not Iowa St at this point either

Agree. But sadly we are not Iowa St at this point either
No they aren’t, but it damn sure goes to show, that some damn good coaching and planning matter. As long as Campbell is at ISU, I’d expect them to be solid. I’m curious if he can go even higher at ISU. We shall see. I hear he loves it there.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back