• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Going fishing in Wisconsin

I needed a new rod because a guy that went fishing with me broke one of mine late last year trying to yank a northern out of the weeds, and I looked at a couple of places in August and everything was picked over.
I know, trying to replace one now is a nightmare...They all say, available Sept. 30

I needed a new rod because a guy that went fishing with me broke one of mine late last year trying to yank a northern out of the weeds, and I looked at a couple of places in August and everything was picked over.

I know, trying to replace one now is a nightmare...They all say, available Sept. 30

What rod are you trying to get? I have some connections.

I've never caught a muskie. I'm not sure how far is have to travel to even find water where they live. I'd love to catch one.
Best chance in state is the Lynn Lake waters. Started stocking it several years ago and the environment there has been good for population growth. Before that the muskie go-to was Amsden Lake, a little body of water hidden southeast of Groton. Most muskies have disappeared from there as some locals weren't fans. Last I heard the state netted as many as they could for relocation. All fish measured between 40-50". I think they all ended up in Lynn lake.

What rod are you trying to get? I have some connections.
anything my wife won't snap when she repeatedly snags while she casts into the same seen and unseen objects-and this is the truth. She was casting near a small object clearly cabled to the shore...Last I saw of her was walking around trying to free it, next thing I know she walks back with the pole snapped in two...not looking happy. Next thing I see her do is grab another pole and start casting in the exact same spot...
What kind of pole, well, we are somewhat novice and talked about our next new poles purchase as being better then the Berkley Cherrywood (which she loved until yesterday).

I am open to suggestions as she likes a 7 ft. medium/fast spinning (we have stuck with 2 piece in ease of transporting, but that is not a deal breaker)-but we are going on a 3 week driving fishing expedition next year so the two piece seems a bit better choice for that. We did look at ugly stick carbon fiber-which we can actually get a rod/reel combo from Dicks shipped-but really don't need another reel. Also a GX2-but subscribing to the "you get what you pay for" not sure.

Trying to keep below $100-so open to suggestions. All of the above rods seem to become available on Sept. 30
thanks.

Best chance in state is the Lynn Lake waters. Started stocking it several years ago and the environment there has been good for population growth. Before that the muskie go-to was Amsden Lake, a little body of water hidden southeast of Groton. Most muskies have disappeared from there as some locals weren't fans. Last I heard the state netted as many as they could for relocation. All fish measured between 40-50". I think they all ended up in Lynn lake.
Have you fished these lakes? Are you nearby? I've only ever driven through that part of SD, so I'm not familiar with the region.

anything my wife won't snap when she repeatedly snags while she casts into the same seen and unseen objects-and this is the truth. She was casting near a small object clearly cabled to the shore...Last I saw of her was walking around trying to free it, next thing I know she walks back with the pole snapped in two...not looking happy. Next thing I see her do is grab another pole and start casting in the exact same spot...
What kind of pole, well, we are somewhat novice and talked about our next new poles purchase as being better then the Berkley Cherrywood (which she loved until yesterday).

I am open to suggestions as she likes a 7 ft. medium/fast spinning (we have stuck with 2 piece in ease of transporting, but that is not a deal breaker)-but we are going on a 3 week driving fishing expedition next year so the two piece seems a bit better choice for that. We did look at ugly stick carbon fiber-which we can actually get a rod/reel combo from Dicks shipped-but really don't need another reel. Also a GX2-but subscribing to the "you get what you pay for" not sure.

Trying to keep below $100-so open to suggestions. All of the above rods seem to become available on Sept. 30
thanks.
The Ugly Stik is what I got for my kids. They're all but indestructible, but they have nothing like the sensitivity of graphite. When we're talking about rods heavier than Medium, I'm not sure how much it matters. If it does matter, you still might want an Ugly Stik for a backup rod, just in case. The reels that come with them are crap anyway, so don't let them factor into your decision. I left them on my kids'rods while they were still learning how to cast, and now they're just emergency backups.

Last year I stepped away from teaching due to burnout, and I took a temporary job as a supervisor at the customer service counter at Cabela's. I chose that particular job for a number of reasons (and pay was NOT one of them), but one of the best unexpected benefits was getting first-hand knowledge of which products are often returned due to being cheap crap, and which ones NEVER came back. Because Cabela's carries Bass Pro products, I saw a lot of rods from a lot of manufacturers coming back in. Here's what I'd recommend if you're thinking about buying a rod or two for a trip like you're planning on taking next year:
  1. Keep your receipts!!! I can't tell you how many times we turned away returns that were almost certainly valid because they didn't have a receipt AND we couldn't find the transaction in our system. As a backup to the receipt, pay attention to which credit card you use to make the purchase because that's the primary way of pulling up a receipt that was lost.
  2. If it is even a crossing thought in your mind that you'd be very upset if the rod broke and want covered under warranty, buy the extended protection plan. This is true at every store that offers one, and it's even true with some companies that offer a lifetime warranty as those warranties usually require you to send the rod into the company once it's beyond the initial return policy of the store where you bought it: that's not convenient when you break a rod during a vacation. Orvis and LL Bean labels are exceptions.
  3. Depending on where you're going, I'd recommend buying a store-brand rod just before leaving from a chain store that will have locations close to where you're going. BPS/Cabela's are now interchangeable, and they now have a large geographic footprint. Their return policy is 60 days with receipt, but if you're just outside that range, and it's their label, you can usually get a replacement for up to a month after that if you're both polite and insistent. Scheels is similar. LL Bean and Orvis are infinitely better, but they're mostly located in the East. I'm not as familiar with others, but I'd suspect that Dick's and Fleet Farm are similar.
If you want a name brand around the $100 mark with some warranty, check out the LaCroix Mojo Bass series. They list for more than $100, but they'll dip down in price for sales and special events. The LaCroix Bass X is about the same, but is right around $100 at normal price. If you're willing to pay slightly more for a better rod, look at the Fenwick Aetos rods. The Fenwick HMG is a step down, but it hits your price point.

Last edited:

The Ugly Stik is what I got for my kids. They're all but indestructible, but they have nothing like the sensitivity of graphite. When we're talking about rods heavier than Medium, I'm not sure how much it matters. If it does matter, you still might want an Ugly Stik for a backup rod, just in case. The reels that come with them are crap anyway, so don't let them factor into your decision. I left them on my kids'rods while they were still learning how to cast, and now they're just emergency backups.

Last year I stepped away from teaching due to burnout, and I took a temporary job as a supervisor at the customer service counter at Cabela's. I chose that particular job for a number of reasons (and pay was NOT one of them), but one of the best unexpected benefits was getting first-hand knowledge of which products are often returned due to being cheap crap, and which ones NEVER came back. Because Cabela's carries Bass Pro products, I saw a lot of rods from a lot of manufacturers coming back in. Here's what I'd recommend if you're thinking about buying a rod or two for a trip like you're planning on taking next year:
  1. Keep your receipts!!! I can't tell you how many times we turned away returns that were almost certainly valid because they didn't have a receipt AND we couldn't find the transaction in our system. As a backup to the receipt, pay attention to which credit card you use to make the purchase because that's the primary way of pulling up a receipt that was lost.
  2. If it is even a crossing thought in your mind that you'd be very upset if the rod broke and want covered under warranty, buy the extended protection plan. This is true at every store that offers one, and it's even true with some companies that offer a lifetime warranty as those warranties usually require you to send the rod into the company once it's beyond the initial return policy of the store where you bought it: that's not convenient when you break a rod during a vacation. Orvis and LL Bean labels are exceptions.
  3. Depending on where you're going, I'd recommend buying a store-brand rod just before leaving from a chain store that will have locations close to where you're going. BPS/Cabela's are now interchangeable, and they now have a large geographic footprint. Their return policy is 60 days with receipt, but if you're just outside that range, and it's their label, you can usually get a replacement for up to a month after that if you're both polite and insistent. Scheels is similar. LL Bean and Orvis are infinitely better, but they're mostly located in the East. I'm not as familiar with others, but I'd suspect that Dick's and Fleet Farm are similar.
If you want a name brand around the $100 mark with some warranty, check out the LaCroix Mojo Bass series. They list for more than $100, but they'll dip down in price for sales and special events. The LaCroix Bass X is about the same, but is right around $100 at normal price. If you're willing to pay slightly more for a better rod, look at the Fenwick Aetos rods. The Fenwick HMG is a step down, but it hits your price point.
Thanks for the rundown and advice. Understand the teacher burnout-although i love it, doing it with masks and kids in front of me and those online simultaneously has me hitting the hay earlier then usual.
Dick's always offers the plan and I've said no, but no more.
I will let her decide
So graphite is more sensitive? She does like the rod to be sensitive

Dick's always offers the plan and I've said no, but no more.
I will let her decide
So graphite is more sensitive? She does like the rod to be sensitive
Graphite is far more sensitive, but also much more brittle. If she liked the Berkeley Cherrywood, they're on sale, right now, at Scheel's for $15. At that price you can buy a half-dozen of them and not have to worry about breaking one or two. If you want something better, you might want to look at the Berkeley rods that are slightly more expensive. I've always thought the Lightning Rod is a good value, but they do break.

As for the extended warranty, I almost never buy one, but they're worth it for things you are likely to break. I got them for my kid's fishing reels because my kids could break an anvil.

Last edited:
Have you fished these lakes? Are you nearby? I've only ever driven through that part of SD, so I'm not familiar with the region.
Tried Amsden a couple times with no luck. After striking out a local muskie fan said they are the fish of 1000 casts. He said you gotta put your time in and be patient, neither seem to work for me and fishing.

As far as Lynn, have never fished there. Been wanting to ice fish on it the last couple winters but it is a bit scary after freezing. Weak spots, springs and heaves are plentiful. But it holds nice perch and walleye as well as the muskies they have stocked in there. Maybe this winter.

Weak spots, springs and heaves are plentiful.
Fwiw, it would be good to mark where the springs are because almost all fish will orient towards the steady temperature of springs (should be mid-50s) during severe heat or during drastic changes in weather/barometric pressure. I don't know how muskies respond/relate to that, but the other fish you listed do, and I'd bet the muskies would also.

Do you live in the area?

Thanks for the Scheels, info. Unfortunately living in Fla with no store nearby(dallas is closest). Shipping puts it back up in same price range of retailers. Will keep looking

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back