• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Going fishing in Wisconsin

I fished a few muskie tournaments in the mid 90s near Hayward WI. Beautiful country.

How do you determine the winner of a muskie tournament when the fishing is tough? Does first place go to whoever had the most follows, or does a slash-and-a-miss take home the prize? ;)

I dunno, but we didnt finish well in most of them. All were local tournaments maybe 25- 30 boats, I know we didnt finish in the top 20. but we did catch, and land a couple each time. Our whole idea of going was about talking to other guys, about reading the maps, water, conditions.... just learning as much as we could, and we did get better, quite a bit better, very quickly. We got what we came for.

I've never caught a muskie. I'm not sure how far is have to travel to even find water where they live. I'd love to catch one.

Plenty in Wisconsin, NW Ontario is a good place to start. LacSuel is a massive lake there, lots of fish camps, if you spent 4 months fishing it, you prob wouldnt hit every bay there. Hundreds of thousands of acres

RR: Hope your fishing spots aren't filled to capacity with fishermen. My brother takes his 2 sons to northern MN each August and this year the fishing was erratic, but he noted all the cabins were full, there were way too many campers and tents and there seemed to be 3x as many boats on the water vs. any previous years. Local fishing guides noted "Canada is closed" so the next options were MN, WI, etc for those USA folks who weren't allowed to fish in Canada this year.

RR: Hope your fishing spots aren't filled to capacity with fishermen. My brother takes his 2 sons to northern MN each August and this year the fishing was erratic, but he noted all the cabins were full, there were way too many campers and tents and there seemed to be 3x as many boats on the water vs. any previous years. Local fishing guides noted "Canada is closed" so the next options were MN, WI, etc for those USA folks who weren't allowed to fish in Canada this year.
I have a place in northern Minnesota, and I can confirm this. It was a busy summer here. Now that school has started, though, most everybody has left and things are nice and peaceful. ;)

I have a place in northern Minnesota, and I can confirm this. It was a busy summer here. Now that school has started, though, most everybody has left and things are nice and peaceful. ;)
Agreed, so many people fishing (I'm) guilty that the fish were so afraid of being hit in the head with lures and baits that they gave up and surrendered to me without a fight...(poor I know)
Dick's and Bass Pro had a difficult time keeping the rods/reels in stock in this area.

Agreed, so many people fishing (I'm) guilty that the fish were so afraid of being hit in the head with lures and baits that they gave up and surrendered to me without a fight...(poor I know)
Dick's and Bass Pro had a difficult time keeping the rods/reels in stock in this area.
I needed a new rod because a guy that went fishing with me broke one of mine late last year trying to yank a northern out of the weeds, and I looked at a couple of places in August and everything was picked over.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back