• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Goal now: six wins

That could literally be the difference in a rebuilding team like Nebraska being bowl eligible.

I would be in favor of going from 3 crossover down to 2. It still needs to balanced though, rather than the Big 10 giving us some combination of Ohio St./Michigan/Penn St. every year while Iowa gets some combination of Maryland/Rutgers/Indiana.
Iowa has beaten us every year except Bo’s last year. 2014? With your scheduling argument, we should have been better, tougher. Yet….

I was listening to sports radio on my way to work this morning. Granted I live in Des Moines, they are big Iowa fans, but they were talking about how they think Nebraska is the second best team in the West behind Iowa. Only difference is, Iowa has already gone through the learn to win phase under Ferentz, his first few years were terrible. They mentioned Nebraska is going through the learn to win phase right now, and once they start learning to win those games, they will turn the corner. Of course they got their jabs in at Nebraska and Nebraska fans, but as hard as it is to admit, I think they are correct. Of course they also think Iowa is by far the best team in the West. Travis Justice is one of the host, he actually lives in Omaha, does the show from his basement, but he is a huge Iowa fan. I think Nebraska is getting better with each game, and close to turning the corner, at least I hope they are close.

Travis and Doc Rob do a good podcast that BRM gives us access to every week. Travis used to be the sports director at one of the Omaha tv stations. He and Matt Perault got after Callahan early.

I was listening to sports radio on my way to work this morning. Granted I live in Des Moines, they are big Iowa fans, but they were talking about how they think Nebraska is the second best team in the West behind Iowa. Only difference is, Iowa has already gone through the learn to win phase under Ferentz, his first few years were terrible. They mentioned Nebraska is going through the learn to win phase right now, and once they start learning to win those games, they will turn the corner. Of course they got their jabs in at Nebraska and Nebraska fans, but as hard as it is to admit, I think they are correct. Of course they also think Iowa is by far the best team in the West. Travis Justice is one of the host, he actually lives in Omaha, does the show from his basement, but he is a huge Iowa fan. I think Nebraska is getting better with each game, and close to turning the corner, at least I hope they are close.
I mentioned us now being like Iowa 20 years ago in another thread. The wheel is turning very slowly but it appears to be turning. Iowa has the added benefit of consistent coaching and league affiliation. They coach them up and are extremely disciplined. Their formula works very well for them. We just aren’t there yet.

Travis does a radio show from his basement? Isnt that called a podcast? The media equivalent of a paper route?

I mentioned us now being like Iowa 20 years ago in another thread. The wheel is turning very slowly but it appears to be turning. Iowa has the added benefit of consistent coaching and league affiliation. They coach them up and are extremely disciplined. Their formula works very well for them. We just aren’t there yet.

Travis does a radio show from his basement? Isnt that called a podcast? The media equivalent of a paper route?
Apparently he has a studio in his basement where he does a live show. The co host and producer are in the studio here in Des Moines. And I agree with everything you said about Iowa.

For what it's worth, my favorite computer ranking system has the following predictions for Nebraska the rest of the way. In my opinion, Minnesota and Purdue are must wins and we can then pick up one of the remaining three. The Illinois loss could come back to haunt us for the entire offseason...that is a game we should have one. The other close losses were all to undefeated teams, so no real shame in the outcome (even if the WAY we lost each was frustrating and disappointing).

1634049941865.png

Iowa has beaten us every year except Bo’s last year. 2014? With your scheduling argument, we should have been better, tougher. Yet….
My scheduling argument is that we get beaten down - rather than getting better and tougher - with the loaded crossover schedules. It is an advantage to play easier opponents, as it makes winning easier and more likely... and winning breeds confidence.

My scheduling argument is that we get beaten down - rather than getting better and tougher - with the loaded crossover schedules. It is an advantage to play easier opponents, as it makes winning easier and more likely... and winning breeds confidence.
I would agree with you if we consistently beat the lesser teams but we don’t. We beat ourselves mostly. We had those lesser teams all scheduled in 2019 and went 5-7. I don’t see much difference really.

I would much rather play Michigan and Penn St than Illinois and Rutgers. But that’s just me I guess.

I would agree with you if we consistently beat the lesser teams but we don’t. We beat ourselves mostly. We had those lesser teams all scheduled in 2019 and went 5-7. I don’t see much difference really.

I would much rather play Michigan and Penn St than Illinois and Rutgers. But that’s just me I guess.
I can absolutely agree with you on the bolded.

In 2019 we only drew one of the East heavyweights. Ohio St. destroyed us. We lost a game we probably should have won against a better-than-expected Indiana team. And we blew out a horrendous Maryland team. So 1-2 on crossovers that year when we had a realistic chance to be 2-1 in those games.

No, it's not just you. Plenty of others like the idea of NU playing a disproportionate amount of "prestige" crossover games. I'm not seeking an easy way out for NU, but I still believe we are at a competitive disadvantage when we regularly get overloaded crossover schedules. I'm just not sure I understand why others want a tougher path than Iowa, Wisconsin, and other West teams?

Crazy hypothetical here... if Iowa St. drops another game or two and Penn St. loses three more games (let's say against tOSU, Michigan, and Sparty), then Iowa may come to Lincoln with an 11-0 record without having beaten a team ranked in the Top 25 at season's end. Part of that is non-conference scheduling, but the rest is soft cross-over games.

Last edited:
Crazy hypothetical here... if Iowa St. drops another game or two and Penn St. loses three more games (let's say against tOSU, Michigan, and Sparty), then Iowa may come to Lincoln with an 11-0 record without having beaten a team ranked in the Top 25 at season's end. Part of that is non-conference scheduling, but the rest is soft cross-over games.
A little perspective. Pre season the Iowa schedule looked as tough as ours. They were playing 4 ranked teams and we were playing Iowa and 3 other ranked teams. It could be said the pounding Iowa put on those teams contributed to those teams dropping in the rankings and the wins our raked teams are getting now are due to them beating us.

If that is the case then yes fire frost. But if he gets to six or more wins he will have earned another year.
I’m probably more in the 5 range right now as far as Frost. He has certainly had some close games against tough teams that have passed the eye test. Someone posted on another thread that other than bill jennings, in ncaa history no coach has ever had 4 losing seasons and come back for a 5th. I challenged that post. After doing so I started googling a bit and found a couple of Vanderbilt coaches went 4 losing seasons and came back. I’m sure there might be more but I couldn’t find them.

A little perspective. Pre season the Iowa schedule looked as tough as ours. They were playing 4 ranked teams and we were playing Iowa and 3 other ranked teams. It could be said the pounding Iowa put on those teams contributed to those teams dropping in the rankings and the wins our raked teams are getting now are due to them beating us.
Fair point that is hard to predict or know exactly how every opponent will do at the beginning of each season. And of course schedules are made years in advance.

If you look at the crossovers and the premier nonconference games though, I would maintain that the following are true MOST of the time (and certainly seem to be this year):

Oklahoma is better than Iowa St.
Ohio St. is better than Penn St.
Michigan is better than Indiana
Michigan St. is better than Maryland

I will concede that Iowa's schedule looked tougher a few months ago than it currently does, back when people thought that Iowa St. and Indiana were good. Still, even then, I would have gladly traded the crossover slate and ISU for OU.

Fair point that is hard to predict or know exactly how every opponent will do at the beginning of each season. And of course schedules are made years in advance.

If you look at the crossovers and the premier nonconference games though, I would maintain that the following are true MOST of the time (and certainly seem to be this year):

Oklahoma is better than Iowa St.
Ohio St. is better than Penn St.
Michigan is better than Indiana
Michigan St. is better than Maryland

I will concede that Iowa's schedule looked tougher a few months ago than it currently does, back when people thought that Iowa St. and Indiana were good. Still, even then, I would have gladly traded the crossover slate and ISU for OU.
I don't disagree with your analysis. All I'm saying is that pre-season Iowa State wasn't that far behind OU in the rankings and both Indiana and Maryland were supposed to be better than Michigan and Michigan State. Indiana started the year ranked. As far as trading early on? Ou for Iowa State yes. Ohio State for Penn State yes. Michigan and Michigan State for Indiana and Maryland......not so much at the time. Neither the teams in Michigan were expected to do much and we were already counting them as possible wins.

NU should lobby for six division games, 2 crossover division games, get three games with conferences across the nation (e.g. MAC, Mountain, PAC 12, ACC, Independents, etc.) and a quality FCS team every year.

I’m probably more in the 5 range right now as far as Frost. He has certainly had some close games against tough teams that have passed the eye test. Someone posted on another thread that other than bill jennings, in ncaa history no coach has ever had 4 losing seasons and come back for a 5th. I challenged that post. After doing so I started googling a bit and found a couple of Vanderbilt coaches went 4 losing seasons and came back. I’m sure there might be more but I couldn’t find them.
I would be fine if they don’t fire him
If he hits five wins. I just know he’s going to have to improve in the win column in year five. Going to have to hit seven or more wins if he is allowed to stay in my eyes. Only thing that sucks is recruiting is going to get a lot tougher if he doesn’t get to a bowl game this year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back