• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Goal now: six wins

Much more likely that we beat Iowa than Ohio St. We match-up well with Iowa and have basically been one play away from beating them each of the last three years. Ohio St. can "out-athlete" us, and they have handled us easily the past two years.

As best I can tell, the differences between 7-0 Iowa and 3-4 Nebraska are...
* schedule: give Iowa credit for edging Penn St., but I don't think they play another ranked team in the regular season)
* forcing turnovers: somehow, Iowa comes up with about 4 INT's every game; probably a combination of skill and good fortune
* one-possession games: Iowa wins them, we lose them; it probably helps that they are usually at least +2 in turnovers

I don't think there is much - if any - of a talent gap between NU and Iowa. NU and Ohio St. is a different story.
You are on a roll today. Great posts.

Yep. Easy peasy Birds schedule

PURDOO
@Wisconson
@North by Northwest
MINNY
CHIEF ILLINIWEK
at Huskers
Their "big games" so far have been over-rated Indiana, over-rated Iowa St., and Penn St. Give them credit for beating Penn St., but it probably doesn't happen without PSU's starting QB getting injured. @Wisky and @NU are their only remaining hurdles in the regular season, and neither hurdle is very high.

Of course they don't play Ohio St., Michigan, or Sparty (now that they are pretty good). When do we get a schedule like that?

Other than OU, we have a pretty easy schedule. I would much rather play Mich, Wisc and Ohio St than Maryland and Rutgers. We had a great home schedule for conference play.

Other than OU, we have a pretty easy schedule. I would much rather play Mich, Wisc and Ohio St than Maryland and Rutgers. We had a great home schedule for conference play.
Three of our seven games have been against undefeated teams who are now in the Top 15. We still have two more current Top 10 teams to play in Iowa and Ohio St. It's one of the tougher schedules in the country.

There are different philosophies on cross-division scheduling. Some prefer to have a higher frequency of "big name" opponents like Ohio St., Michigan, and Penn St. For purposes of equity, I would prefer a balanced approach where we play Ohio St. the same number of times we play Rutgers and play Michigan the same number of times we play Maryland.

If Nebraska and Iowa traded schedules this year, my guess is that Iowa would be 5-2 right now and Nebraska would be 4-2 or maybe 5-1.

Can we please stop with the bowl game talk at this point? Nebraska needs to beat Minnesota first which will not be easy.

Talking about a bowl game makes more sense if/when Nebraska has 5 wins. Maybe Nebraska can win game number 4 and then game number 5 before even thinking about bowl games.

One step at a time please. :thumbsup:
4 years and hoping

That leaves Purdue, Minnesota and Wisconsin that we have to sweep. While that is doable, it won't be a walk in the park, and we will have to play error free football.
The chance of that happening is exactly zero point zero. Fortunately I don't think error free ball is necessary to win those games.

Three of our seven games have been against undefeated teams who are now in the Top 15. We still have two more current Top 10 teams to play in Iowa and Ohio St. It's one of the tougher schedules in the country.

There are different philosophies on cross-division scheduling. Some prefer to have a higher frequency of "big name" opponents like Ohio St., Michigan, and Penn St. For purposes of equity, I would prefer a balanced approach where we play Ohio St. the same number of times we play Rutgers and play Michigan the same number of times we play Maryland.

If Nebraska and Iowa traded schedules this year, my guess is that Iowa would be 5-2 right now and Nebraska would be 4-2 or maybe 5-1.
We lost to Illinois. Bad team. Let’s see where these teams are ranked at the end of the year. That will be more accurate than where they were in Sept. I like our schedule this year and there wasn’t a game that wasn’t winnable. We self destructed as is our pattern. Scheduling doesn’t fix that.

We lost to Illinois. Bad team. Let’s see where these teams are ranked at the end of the year. That will be more accurate than where they were in Sept. I like our schedule this year and there wasn’t a game that wasn’t winnable. We self destructed as is our pattern. Scheduling doesn’t fix that.
Fair enough with the schedule, and totally agree on Illinois. You can't lose that game, no matter when or where it is played.

Oklahoma and Ohio St. seemed like longshots going into this season. We played well enough to beat Oklahoma. We'll see how the Ohio St. game goes.

Fair enough with the schedule, and totally agree on Illinois. You can't lose that game, no matter when or where it is played.

Oklahoma and Ohio St. seemed like longshots going into this season. We played well enough to beat Oklahoma. We'll see how the Ohio St. game goes.
Ohio St will be tough. Honestly,we need to beat Minny, Wiscy and Purdue. They are more on our level. But it is so hard to put 4 solid quarters together let alone 3 or 4 weeks of consistent football. That’s what worries me.

I think if we can carry this anger/momentum/chip, into minn and get a win, then we have a bye week, and come back at home to probably get past purdue, Now we have 5 and we have some confidence to finish out. We will also have a bye before we go to Wisc, who is definately beatable with their poor qb play. We would prob be favored on the road to beat them. Getting back on track against MN is the main thing.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back