• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Glass

I read Split isn't really related to Unbreakable/Glass, other than the character is also in Glass.

I read Split isn't that great of a movie as a whole, but many agreed that in spite of that, James McAvoy delivered a great performance of his character.
I don't recall where I read these assessments, but now that I've seen all 3, I disagree with the above, with the exception of the assessment of McAvoy. That is still correct.

I started watching Split a few months ago, and only got about 1/3 of the way through before I became disinterested in it. I could tell that James McAvoy's performance was as great as advertised, and I like most horror movies, but this one just wasn't doing it for me, so I didn't finish watching it.

I finally started watching Glass a few days ago, and I was really liking it, but I realized I was missing out on the development and understanding of James McAvoy's character, as well as another key character from Split that is also in Glass. So I stopped watching Glass about halfway through, and decided to go back and watch Split, this time in its entirety.

This time, I enjoyed Split a lot more. I understood the characters and events better, and understood now how it relates to the other characters/plot/theme from Unbreakable. I later saw an interview with M. Night Shyamalan about how he rewrote some scenes and changed the original ending. It definitely made a better connection to Unbreakable/Glass that way.

Then I started watching Glass again, and everything was making much more sense. I really enjoyed Glass, probably since I am an admitted comic book nut. Some scenes/dialog in Glass may seem contrived, corny, kitschy or cliche, but that's how comic books are/were, so I loved it. And there was not just one, but two plot twists at the end I wasn't expecting. Well done. In an era of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with dozens of movies (although Unbreakable actually pre-dates the MCU movies) about comic book superheros/supervillains, here was a trilogy about real life "wannabe/true" superhumans It couldn't have happened at a better time.

Your mileage may vary. :)

Last edited:
I don't recall where I read these assessments, but now that I've seen all 3, I disagree with the above.

I started watching Split a few months ago, and only got about 1/3 of the way through before I became disinterested in it. I could tell that James McAvoy's performance was as great as advertised, and I like most horror movies, but this one just wasn't doing it for me, so I didn't finish watching it.

I finally started watching Glass a few days ago, and I was really liking it, but I realized I was missing out on the development and understanding of James McAvoy's character, as well as another key character from Split that is also in Glass. So I stopped watching Glass about halfway through, and decided to go back and watch Split, this time in its entirety.

This time, I enjoyed Split a lot more. I understood the characters and events better, and understood now how it relates to the other characters/plot/theme from Unbreakable. I later saw an interview with M. Night Shyamalan about how he rewrote some scenes and changed the original ending. It definitely made a better connection to Unbreakable/Glass that way.

Then I started watching Glass again, and everything was making much more sense. I really enjoyed Glass, probably since I am an admitted comic book nut. Some scenes/dialog in Glass may seem contrived, corny, kitschy or cliche, but that's how comic books are/were, so I loved it. And there was not just one, but two plot twists at the end I wasn't expecting. Well done. In an era of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with dozens of movies (although Unbreakable actually pre-dates the MCU movies) about comic book superheros/supervillains, here was a trilogy about real life "wannabe/true" superhumans It couldn't have happened at a better time.

Your mileage may vary. :)
McAvoy is outstanding in both movies. Scripts might be a bit thin, but he is incredible.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back