• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Give Mickey Joseph 1.5 years

If he's going to win, he's going to have to start quickly anyway, in time for Trev to consider him in making a comparison. Trev himself said Mickey's performance could put him in the conversation.

Given the schedule, if Mickey's going to win 5 or 6, he's going to have to start now. This is so unlikely it's almost not worth talking about, but if we win 4 of the next 4 or maybe even just 3 of the next 4, it's really going to force Trev's hand.

If we win the next 4 and then 2 of the last 4, there won't be viable argument not to keep him.
Too stark for me right now...lol.

I get that. However that isn’t what the op is proposing. He is proposing giving him another year right now. What has he done to deserve another year. He’s only head coach as a matter of the circumstances.
Has anyone agreed with the op?

MJ was a collegiate head coach, albeit at Langston University near Stillwater, for 2 years in 2011 & 2012 and posted a 13-7 record.

I’d be careful what you hear from media or the fans serving koolaid. I’m just trying to be a realist. It’s not like we haven’t been down this road over expectations.
It isn't solely based on media stuff. Players have come out about having a really good relationship through the recruiting process. He has been well known for his recruiting, which requires you to be relational. I'm sure there are probably guys on the team he isn't close with or don't like him, but I do think he has a solid relationship with quite a few.

No. It seems like the likability factor is being overvalued in considering MJ. It’s certainly a plus and he brings a lot of positives with his personality but there simply is no substitute for HC experience. Sure, If he runs the table this year I might change my mind but that isn’t going to happen.
Interesting point on the likability factor being over valued. Pretty sure that short of a disaster hire like Mike Riley……the fans will respond with great likability and koolaid.

Last edited:
Honestly he’s doing exactly what he needs to do. He’s fixing things on season and has a one game winning streak.

If he keeps winning and improving, I don't know why he wouldn’t at least be in the conversation. Say he finishes 6-3, meaning the team has a winning record and are goi ng bowling. NOT considering him for the position seems short sighted.

If I was Trev:

Right now - MJ is an extreme long shot
6-6 - MJ is considered, but still a long shot
7-5 - Pretty serious consideration
8-4 - It's MJ's job if he wants it
9-3 - Back up the truck and beg him to stay

He should, at a minimum, get the rest of this year. Just watching HC Joseph on the sideline during the game I loved his demeanor. He looks like the real deal to me and I think NU can win 6 or 7 games this year if they play disciplined ball. First things first though, Rutgers in New Jersey!

Honestly he’s doing exactly what he needs to do. He’s fixing things on season and has a one game winning streak.

If he keeps winning and improving, I don't know why he wouldn’t at least be in the conversation. Say he finishes 6-3, meaning the team has a winning record and are goi ng bowling. NOT considering him for the position seems short sighted.
Spot on!

On Doc Talk, Rob sincerely didn't see a prob with giving MJ another year before making decision on new coach. Travis said salary would be issue. Just throwing it in cuz it supports OP.

Whatever happens will play out soon enough but for now I'm 100% behind HC Joseph! There is a lot of football to be played yet so this conversation is really based off of the Indiana win. If he can right this ship I say he should be considered. If not?

Give me $100 and I'll give you the numbers! I'm just saying that why would Trev wait if MJ isn't "the guy". I am a huge Mickey fan and want the best for him but if Trev has a coach in place why wait until the off season to announce it. Rip the band-aid off and let's move forward.
What?????? Ok, looks like we got a psychic here. Gee, what Powerball numbers should I play?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back