• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Get him the ball!!!

So SF addressed why he is not on the field more in this weeks PC.

What is frustrating is hearing him say "Some of them get their chance, and go in and bust an assignment. And it's tuff to keep guys on the field as much when that happens."

Reason that is frustrating is that it is not applied equally to all players. Some players make repeated mistakes for years with little to no consequence. That is probably for a different thread though.

Anyway, that is his reply to the question everyone is asking about why some players get more playing time than others.

Practice GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

C

Last edited:
To me he appears the most dangerous Husker with the ball. Would love to see him get more touches.

In the 1400 call in show after the MN game Betts came up. I remember the host essentially said he wanted to be careful because of Frosts relationship with 1400 then he proceeded to imply Betts doesn’t know enough of the offense. He singled out a play against MN where AM was upset about Betts running a wrong route. He implied that comes through in practice too.

All that said the guy is electric with the ball. He’s the wr with the talent that looks next level.

To me he appears the most dangerous Husker with the ball. Would love to see him get more touches.

In the 1400 call in show after the MN game Betts came up. I remember the host essentially said he wanted to be careful because of Frosts relationship with 1400 then he proceeded to imply Betts doesn’t know enough of the offense. He singled out a play against MN where AM was upset about Betts running a wrong route. He implied that comes through in practice too.

All that said the guy is electric with the ball. He’s the wr with the talent that looks next level.
I do recall one play in particular against MN where AM threw the ball to "space" and it was clear "somebody" ran the wrong route. I don't know which receivers were in the game on that play. It's frustrating beyond belief to see guys make extremely athletic plays and then disappear. I'm sure SF is protecting his players by withholding the details. I'd love to know what goes on in practice. But I'm sure there's no one more frustrated than HCSF with the situation.

Part of me thinks he's placing discipline over wins (or at least trying to reward the practice warriors), which seems like a 180 from the Maurice W days (a good thing). Still struggling to establish the culture?? Again, w/o being an insider, who knows. It's just frustrating to see guys like Mel Tucker establish their culture in a few months, while we flounder for years. Here's hoping the PU game looks more like NW and less like MN.

I do recall one play in particular against MN where AM threw the ball to "space" and it was clear "somebody" ran the wrong route. I don't know which receivers were in the game on that play. It's frustrating beyond belief to see guys make extremely athletic plays and then disappear. I'm sure SF is protecting his players by withholding the details. I'd love to know what goes on in practice. But I'm sure there's no one more frustrated than HCSF with the situation.

Part of me thinks he's placing discipline over wins (or at least trying to reward the practice warriors), which seems like a 180 from the Maurice W days (a good thing). Still struggling to establish the culture?? Again, w/o being an insider, who knows. It's just frustrating to see guys like Mel Tucker establish their culture in a few months, while we flounder for years. Here's hoping the PU game looks more like NW and less like MN.
I think I remember the play, it was later in the game and we really needed a 1st down to keep momentum. Martinez threw a fade to the outside but the receiver went inside, the defender was set up for inside coverage which means the play would have worked. The announcers were talking about it as well. Probably really pissed frost off.

I remember Niles Paul making statements to the effect that he was essentially un-coachable his first few years, as he had always got by on raw talent, and didn't think he needed to pay attention to what he was being taught. Coach Frost has made it clear that if you can't demonstrate that you can do it right in practice, you can't be trusted on the field when it counts. I think we have some very talented players who, while physically gifted, aren't showing their knowledge of the playbook, and aren't going to consistently make it onto the field until they do.

Zavier Betts is a great example of why we need to sign the top players in Nebraska. Noah Fant is a good example of what happens when those kids leave the state. While we will never bat 1.000 with in-state kids, we have to get as many of the good ones as possible.

great straight line speed... one of the better players we've had in awhile that can pull away.

So Frost won't play a kid who doesn't do well in practice but has talent yet plays a kid who does do well in practice and the team continues to fail. Maybe it is a long term thing and it will even out. ???

Sounds a little like some linebackers we used to have except those teams didn't fail.

All the talent in the world will not help if you do not know where you are supposed to be. Assume they cover routes in practice and if they err there, they probably are going to err on Saturday. The qb will go to the receiver he has confidence in that will be in the correct route and he does not have to hunt for him. With our oline, there is little time for progressions which develops the bad habit of not throwing to the open receiver.

I can understand the concept of messing up in practice and not seeing playing time. I have a harder time understanding the concept of a player who is a "star" in practice and cannot find the receiver in a game, turns the ball over more than the rest of the team combined and still plays all of the time.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back