• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Gearing Up, Getting Ready - 2020 Huskers

pRED

IN PLAY, RUN(S)
5 Year Member
D1 Baseball (guess my 2019 subscription not dead yet) did a nice recap of the fall ball season for the team and it reads encouragingly. Without (hopefully) violating any sort of redistribution issues, some takeaways:

* Bolt won’t rely on a crutch of taking over a program in disarray, citing a good culture and positive momentum from an NCAA appearance last year. He seems to “uptalk” the guys far more than Erstad and Silva did, a stylistic difference that may loosen guys up in a good way.

* Appears to be plenty of offense to work with, starting with Palensky, Chick and Schwellenbach. (I don‘t think I had realized that Cam’s average had sagged to 0.240 at year-end, as he seemed to produce regularly.)

* Roskam had a solid fall at the plate and hopes to carry that into a strong senior campaign.

* Hopes are that Hallmark can utilize his speed more productively in service of the offense than previously and that Hagge and Acker maintain their level of contributions.

* The names of newcomers Boynton and Banjoff came up as poised to make some noise. Boynton, apparently, has some prodigious power!

* Pitching experience is lacking, though seems raw material and numbers are there. Povich, Stroh, Gomes, Schreiber, Perry and Schanaman (who may be a two-way player) expected to contribute and can get outs, though no workhorse like Matt Waldron apparent yet. (Disappointed that Palkert and Luensmann not coming back this year, but get it, time to move on with life.)

Less than a month away. Glad to have them coming to California and hope to see them in Tempe too for the ASU series. GBR!

I’ll close by shilling for d1baseball.com as a good source and strong advocate of the sport, while tending to treat NU baseball pretty well.

Thanks for the recap. I hadn’t heard that Robbie had left. That is a big hit to the pitching.

Really excited to see what Bolt can do, but a little scared of not having a true pitching coach.

Four more weeks...

I didn't know they left. Do you know why? I've tried finding info, but only see they were juniors last season and not on the roster now.

Pahlkert just hung up the cleats, and Luensemann entered the transfer portal. I haven’t heard if he landed anywhere. Never got his control back after Tommy John surgery, and it was hard to watch.

Surprised Palkert just hung it up. I thought he was the best returner we had. He was good all last year, but was a stud in the BIG tourney.

601318672.jpg

Last edited:

D1 Baseball (guess my 2019 subscription not dead yet) did a nice recap of the fall ball season for the team and it reads encouragingly. Without (hopefully) violating any sort of redistribution issues, some takeaways:

* Bolt won’t rely on a crutch of taking over a program in disarray, citing a good culture and positive momentum from an NCAA appearance last year. He seems to “uptalk” the guys far more than Erstad and Silva did, a stylistic difference that may loosen guys up in a good way.

* Appears to be plenty of offense to work with, starting with Palensky, Chick and Schwellenbach. (I don‘t think I had realized that Cam’s average had sagged to 0.240 at year-end, as he seemed to produce regularly.)

* Roskam had a solid fall at the plate and hopes to carry that into a strong senior campaign.

* Hopes are that Hallmark can utilize his speed more productively in service of the offense than previously and that Hagge and Acker maintain their level of contributions.

* The names of newcomers Boynton and Banjoff came up as poised to make some noise. Boynton, apparently, has some prodigious power!

* Pitching experience is lacking, though seems raw material and numbers are there. Povich, Stroh, Gomes, Schreiber, Perry and Schanaman (who may be a two-way player) expected to contribute and can get outs, though no workhorse like Matt Waldron apparent yet. (Disappointed that Palkert and Luensmann not coming back this year, but get it, time to move on with life.)

Less than a month away. Glad to have them coming to California and hope to see them in Tempe too for the ASU series. GBR!

I’ll close by shilling for d1baseball.com as a good source and strong advocate of the sport, while tending to treat NU baseball pretty well.

Finally...some baseball talk about something other than CF video cameras and garbage cans in the dugout. Looking forward to Husker baseball. The first 9 games are tough...on the road with 5 of the games against top 40 teams (Collegiate Baseball)..the pitching staff will have to compete and hopefully those young arms are ready to compete. Any predictions for starters....I think Gomes and Stroh should be penciled in and thjere are several options after those 2. I don't see Gomes playing much first base, maybe an occasional DH assignment as his future is on the mound. The lineup will get a huge plus if Roskam provides LH power and senior leadership. If chick plays 2nd base..who wins the job at third? As far as Big Ten weather and recruiting limits...think positive...look what Michigan did last year!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back