• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Gdowski out at Vandy

I hate that. I had really hoped Gdowski would knock it out of the park and be the next household name in the 'Hot head coaching candidate of the moment' sweepstakes in a year or two.

Hope he gets another shot.

He married a friend of mine from my home town, Shelton.
Gerry Really is a great guy

He was two years ahead of me in school, for who he was in our town/school he was really down to earth. I don't doubt he will find a new job soon. Is Nebraska hiring?

One of the most underrated/under appreciated quarterbacks in Nebraska Football history.

521269605fcea.image.jpg

5a2d92fedcf98.image.jpg

Last edited:
He was two years ahead of me in school, for who he was in our town/school he was really down to earth. I don't doubt he will find a new job soon. Is Nebraska hiring?
Go for Fremont! F R E M O N T Good character guy, going way back!

Shoulder pads were much bigger back then.

That said, at 6' and 190lbs, Gerry wasn't a monster.

Really good player though. Enjoyed watching him play.

It's too bad he never redshirted. He could have had 2 years as a starter. He was just good enough his Freshman year to be the back up to Steve Taylor and was that back up for 3 years.

It's too bad he never redshirted. He could have had 2 years as a starter. He was just good enough his Freshman year to be the back up to Steve Taylor and was that back up for 3 years.

It's anecdotal, but I lived in Colorado and heard from some pretty knowledgeable football fans, coaches, etc. saying they were glad CU didn't have to deal with more than the one year of Gdowski. Taylor wasn't chopped liver, but Gdowski was a damned balller.

He married a friend of mine from my home town, Shelton.
Gerry Really is a great guy
By chance was your friend an MP in the Marine Corps?

I was driving on a Marine Base many years ago and an MP stopped me and had me roll down my window? He noted my 47 county NE license plates and said, 'go big red' then waived me in. I asked him if he was from Nebraska and he told me where he was from and as I was driving off I thought I remember him saying that he was dating Gerry Gdowski's sister. I never saw him again so I didn't get a chance to talk to him again.

By chance was your friend an MP in the Marine Corps?

I was driving on a Marine Base many years ago and an MP stopped me and had me roll down my window? He noted my 47 county NE license plates and said, 'go big red' then waived me in. I asked him if he was from Nebraska and he told me where he was from and as I was driving off I thought I remember him saying that he was dating Gerry Gdowski's sister. I never saw him again so I didn't get a chance to talk to him again.

Gerry has two sisters, Linda who ran track I believe at USD and not sure who she is married to and then a 2nd younger sister who is married to a physical therapist in Blair/Bennington or something like that. I believe the whole family is all still living pretty close to Fremont except Linda, not sure where she is.

No, she did track for huskers, she was a track star, he was the football star at the time, that's how they met

Sami something or another I believe.

The whole group of kids are a bunch of athletes and good people. Gerry's youngest brother ran track at Kansas I believe and his step sister played volleyball at UNO until blowing out her knees.

No, she did track for huskers, she was a track star, he was the football star at the time, that's how they met
Gerry has two sisters, Linda who ran track I believe at USD and not sure who she is married to and then a 2nd younger sister who is married to a physical therapist in Blair/Bennington or something like that. I believe the whole family is all still living pretty close to Fremont except Linda, not sure where she is.
Well that's a big bummer. I'm happy that they are doing great but my roommates at the time were Colorado and Miami fans so I was living vicariously through that random/chance 20 second meeting.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back