• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Game of telephone.... what i'm hearing

In theory, hurry up spread offenses are designed to make up for having inferior talent. It's much harder to just line up and win one on one battles.

*Having inferior strength*

Oregon got good because they recruited smaller, faster guys, notably borrowing players from the Track & Field team. The spread/blur offense they ran was designed to avoid having their 180lb guys get slobberknocked by a 300lb guy.

But the saying about defenses winning championships proved true. Most of the Pac-12 teams have traditionally had somewhat lackluster defenses and have opted for flashy offense. That's changed in recent years, but for a long time Oregon made their path by just being the flashiest among flashy. Take the lack of Big XII defenses to an extreme degree.

It's also why whenever Mach-Speed Oregon would meet an SEC or Big Ten team in a bowl game, they'd struggle. They weren't used to lightning fast LBs who could plant you on your ass before a play developed. It was like watching that Jadeveon Clowney sack against Michigan. Pac-12 flashypants would never know what hit 'em.

OMG. So much this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Stop the run. Or control it. We supposedly have the DBs to at least effin try to go one on one or even a 4-2-5 with a player walking up into the box. Thank you.
What’s the square peg round hole reference?

*Having inferior strength*

Oregon got good because they recruited smaller, faster guys, notably borrowing players from the Track & Field team. The spread/blur offense they ran was designed to avoid having their 180lb guys get slobberknocked by a 300lb guy.

But the saying about defenses winning championships proved true. Most of the Pac-12 teams have traditionally had somewhat lackluster defenses and have opted for flashy offense. That's changed in recent years, but for a long time Oregon made their path by just being the flashiest among flashy. Take the lack of Big XII defenses to an extreme degree.

It's also why whenever Mach-Speed Oregon would meet an SEC or Big Ten team in a bowl game, they'd struggle. They weren't used to lightning fast LBs who could plant you on your ass before a play developed. It was like watching that Jadeveon Clowney sack against Michigan. Pac-12 flashypants would never know what hit 'em.

Defense doesn't win championships anymore. Even Bama has changed their offensive mindset.

Looking at this
It appears that having two LBs averaging a sack a game, another, almost a half, is one way to run your 3-4.
Sure, having that killer DL guy getting sacks is fantastic, but comparably, our LBs didnt match wiscys production, while our D line showed well against wiscys numbers.

We had slightly more than half the sacks wiscy had

Last edited:

and the 3rd one was just activated from the practice squad to the active roster.......but I get the original post (about poor DL play), to a degree and, IMO, it is a product of running a 3-4.....Poor LB play can make the DL look bad even when they actually do their assignment. 3-4 Dl are suppose to "funnel" the RB to the LB, who is suppose to then get the tackle. Our LB play has been lacking hence it makes it seem like our DL play is inadequate. I sure wish we would go to a 4-3, 4-4, or heck, even a hybrid 5-2.

Lacking called . . . he asked that we stop insulting him by elevating our LB play to his level.

I really hope that group takes some steps forward soon.

Since Huskers don’t have tOSU’s talent, and probably never will, then I don’t see this breakneck speed offense working with a mediocre defense. Perhaps HCSF could adjust by not huddling guys and bringing them to the LOS to run plays, and then run play clock down to zero and run plays so defenses can’t sub out. But other than that, what HCSF’s attitude seemed to be when he joined the B1G was that his offense was going to be good enough to outscore any team we played so the defense didn’t have to be as good. It just needed to stop a few of the other teams possessions and get the ball back to the high scoring offense. Other than OSU in the B1G, name me a successful team that’s doing that consistently in the two conferences that play better defenses-B1G and SEC. I sure don’t see too many teams winning that much consistently by giving up a gazillion yards and points and trying to outscore them. I just don’t see that type of concept, offense and defense, winning much in B1G with the way teams play here.
You're attacking a straw-man that doesn't exist. Please, show me where anybody on staff said that they would be satisfied with a "mediocre defense." The only way that compromises were to be made regarding defenses was understanding that opponents having more possessions would almost necessarily mean more plays, more yards, etc., so we would need to rethink which defensive statistics would matter most. Nobody on staff ever said that the defense could be mediocre.

Back to the point of why I posted, did you notice that you went from saying that our schemes didn't work to admitting that they are working for OSU? Now that we agree on that, we can discuss whatever you like.

But will schemes work in the wind? ;)
This means those short passes need to stay, not go away.

For defense, it also means having better depth is very important

Isn't that only under more recent staffs using the DEs differently, though?
No, it was said even back when TO was HC. Switching to the 4-3 was not embraced by all, and it took time to really see the results we’d hoped.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back