• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Game of telephone.... what i'm hearing

just not buying the hype anymore. that is one me and no one else. Every year its the same ole same ole, takes times , all the excuses why it isnt happened rather than why it should happen. As i said show me. This Saturday will be a good tome to show it
I get it, our defense hasn't been up to the standard of blackshirts or even an average team. But when the offense and special teams is showing worse... i'm not going to get too upset with our DC yet.

I guess I don't know how much worse it is going to be, all I can say is when you lose 2 NFL draft picks out of 3 possible spots, rarely do things get better because "guys will step up and fill the void." I also worry about depth... last year I felt good with 4 DEs and the experience, this year we only have 2 experienced DEs. I'm more just saying people can be optimistic that it will be the same, but the history of college football says otherwise.

I don't think I'm going too far out on the limb with us being worse on the DL this year when we were 5-7 last year, only had 2 NFL draft picks on our entire roster, and both of those guys were on a defensive line that only plays 3 people.

Personally I put going 5-7 last year more on the offensive side of the ball. The defense helped a lot. But the offense should have put games away. Colorado and Purdue sit squarely on the offense last year. Indiana was more about the linebackers not being able to get the team off the field than the defensive line play.

I seem to remember us having this same conversation a few years back when we lost McMullen and others and you were terrible worried about it. I seem to remember a few guys like VV, Collins and Maurice stepped up and played pretty well. To fill the void.

Replacing the Davis twins will leave a void. But if you look at our Dline's during our decade of dominance, they resemble the type of players were have there now, especially in the middle. We still don't have a great edge rusher though. Really wish this would be a point of emphasis in recruiting for the next several years.

Defense can also avoid exhaustion by logging a few more 3-and-outs....
Not really the problem last year. Quite a few games where we got a three and out only to have a quick turnover put us back on the field. Or we did get a turnover then the O did nothing with it. Defenses run primarily on emotion. When you get a big stop only to go back 2 plays later hard to keep the emotions up.

Not really the problem last year. Quite a few games where we got a three and out only to have a quick turnover put us back on the field. Or we did get a turnover then the O did nothing with it. Defenses run primarily on emotion. When you get a big stop only to go back 2 plays later hard to keep the emotions up.

The prime example of this is the Iowa game last year. Multiple times in the 2nd half the defense shut them down, had a 3-and-out, etcetera, only to have the offense do absolutely nothing each time. Even a little bit of offense would have won us that game.

I get it, our defense hasn't been up to the standard of blackshirts or even an average team. But when the offense and special teams is showing worse... i'm not going to get too upset with our DC yet.
I’ll take your word over mine man. Thank you

I guess I don't know how much worse it is going to be, all I can say is when you lose 2 NFL draft picks out of 3 possible spots, rarely do things get better because "guys will step up and fill the void." I also worry about depth... last year I felt good with 4 DEs and the experience, this year we only have 2 experienced DEs. I'm more just saying people can be optimistic that it will be the same, but the history of college football says otherwise.

I don't think I'm going too far out on the limb with us being worse on the DL this year when we were 5-7 last year, only had 2 NFL draft picks on our entire roster, and both of those guys were on a defensive line that only plays 3 people.
Had this discussion the other day with an ex-player who also agree's we are bare at the Front 7. I reminded him that even though we lost two NFL draftee's and a lot of experience...........they certainly as a unit, didn't play like they had that much experience and talent. Against the rush we gave up 4.8 yards a carry which put us about 100th in FBS and second to last in the B1G just slightly in front of Rutgers. So while we are losing a lot of talent there I'm not sure we are losing a great unit. We might not be as bad off as we think.

It's a feel good story if the former Navy Seal gets some PT … but, it also feels a lot like Davis from a year ago if he is getting meaningful snaps.

If that is the case, then my take is he is the mode to primarily setting the edge and I would be coaching him up like he was the still the lead man on a 'Stack Drill' for a special ops forced entry … give him a couple keys to follow and a couple 'actions on contact.'
We could use some violence on the objective for sure from the front 7 on D.

Had this discussion the other day with an ex-player who also agree's we are bare at the Front 7. I reminded him that even though we lost two NFL draftee's and a lot of experience...........they certainly as a unit, didn't play like they had that much experience and talent. Against the rush we gave up 4.8 yards a carry which put us about 100th in FBS and second to last in the B1G just slightly in front of Rutgers. So while we are losing a lot of talent there I'm not sure we are losing a great unit. We might not be as bad off as we think.
I think that makes sense. I think Stille will be able to be serviceable for us, but the other DE spot and NG I worry about. There was definitely some tension between Frost and the Davis twins. But if losing 2 NFL draft picks is a good thing, I worry about our coaching.

The Davis twins (along with Darrion Daniels) are going to be the new Tommy Armstrong. Everyone thought we'd be fine once we got some of "our guys" playing that "are a better fit for our scheme" and then Tanner Lee happened. We won't appreciate them until we don't have them. Luckily 2020 is kind of a throw away year.

Last edited:

I think that makes sense. I think Stille will be able to be serviceable for us, but the other DE spot and NG I worry about. There was definitely some tension between Frost and the Davis twins. But if losing 2 NFL draft picks is a good thing, I worry about our coaching.

The Davis twins (along with Darrion Daniels) are going to be the new Tommy Armstrong. Everyone thought we'd be fine once we got some of "our guys" playing that "are a better fit for our scheme" and then Tanner Lee happened. We won't appreciate them until we don't have them. Luckily 2020 is kind of a throw away year.
As I have said, let’s just wait and see how things look.

I will say you are much more of a half empty guy than I am. :)

As you read through this tread I don’t think anyone has said they expect the defensive front to be better without those three.

I just think it is counterproductive to worry so much about what you don’t have on your team anymore.

Moving back to offense for a minute. @ShortSideOption, what are you hearing about the competition for QB? Is Luke really a threat to win the starting spot?
I would tell you that much of Martinez's issue last year was that he knew the job was his. Didn't prepare as if his job was in jeopardy. They are creating that for him this year, and I applaud them for it. However, what people forget is that even when Martinez was injured last year, McCaffrey didn't start. And are you starting a freshman at the Horseshoe instead of your kid with 20 starts under his belt that you claimed was better than Joe Burrow? Probably not. I would be absolutely shocked.

As i've said all along, this is Martinez's job first game. After that it's up to him to produce. I do really appreciate the competition they are creating though, I think it's making Martinez better. I do believe they will get a series or two in with McCaffrey though to see how he performs when the lights are on. And I think McCaffrey has the ability to unseat Martinez during the season if the first four games we go 1-3, it just isn't happening before Ohio State. I don't think it's due to McCaffrey not having the tools, they are just going to roll experience out there against the #2 team in the country, not throw the kid to the wolves.

Last edited:

As I have said, let’s just wait and see how things look.

I will say you are much more of a half empty guy than I am. :)

As you read through this tread I don’t think anyone has said they expect the defensive front to be better without those three.

I just think it is counterproductive to worry so much about what you don’t have on your team anymore.
I don't think i'm "worrying" about what we don't have. I'm just stating what we had in 2019 to what we have in 2020, which paints a picture of how 2020 will go. Which is what this thread is about.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back