• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Game 4: Columbia at NU

Since this somehow turned into a basketball thread in the baseball forum .... :)

I'll just say this season ended much worse than I thought or hoped (well, there's still the Big Ten Tourney -- not that it really matters) .... but .... from multiple sources, the kids sitting this year due to transfer are simply better players, and it's showing in the practices. Next season's starting lineup will be much different looking than this season's. And more talented. But we'll still be quite inexperienced.

Last edited:

Since this somehow turned into a basketball thread in the baseball forum .... :)

I'll just say this season ended much worse than I thought or hoped (well, there's still the Big Ten Tourney -- not that it really matters) .... but .... from multiple sources, the kids sitting this year due to transfer are simply better players, and it's showing in the practices. Next season's starting lineup will be much different looking than this season's. And more talented. But we'll still be quite inexperienced.
Could have 5 new starters again depending on what happens to Mack and Burke.

Busy weekend and I don't get BTN+ so I missed the games. Hope they keep some momentum going. Sounds like they got some younger guys some playing time during this series also. (By younger, I mean not regular starters - the team overall is pretty young).

Of course they are better, our guys are guarding them, lol!

Well, four weekends in, what is it we know about the baseball squad? Some quality batting averages in the lineup, such that on glance, it appears pretty formidable. The young talent - Luke, Leighton, Cam and Spencer - showing a lot of promise. I trust Mojo will get it going and Aaron will be just fine, despite a weekend he can't have loved. The Jaxon GIDP in yesterday's loss loomed very large, but that's baseball. He rolled into another one today that turned out not as critical, but gotta get that ball airborne, as even a dreaded pop out gets you another AB and shot at scoring (as you must do yesterday with the bases juiced and less than two outs). Pitching promises further adventure, but not a disastrous weekend with a solid 3.00 ERA across the four games. I know, I know, "Columbia is terrible" and all that, but guys don't play D1 even there because they ain't talented and COMPETITIVE (we know they must be smart, right?). Cade continuing to perform, Max and Trey making contributions, Shay bounced back and Friday's effort by Kyle and Paul (around Max) was a nice opener, especially given a sleepy offense. If these young, high velocity arms - Bo, Braxton, Quinn - can find some command and confidence, there's some decent potential for this team and worth hanging in for.

So, we stand at 5-8, and though we'd prefer 6-7 (or 8-5 or 13-0 - my favorite), there's positive four-out-our-last-five momentum and a six-game week ahead to further check our progress. Northern Colorado for two midweek games comes in at 4-11, while the road trip to Wichita State will have them at a lofty 13-2 with no midweek games to chew up pitching capacity. Their record, yes impressive, doesn't appear to be all that marquee with regard to the opposition, but they did sweep La Tech over the weekend, and have a 2-1 midweek win over Kansas State to their credit so far.

12 games before B10 play, let's see where we stand and how we feel then. Optimistic but maybe not convincingly so, though either way plan to stick around. GBR!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back