• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

G Elijah Wood - N > In Transfer Portal

I saw this and wondered how the kid from 'Wilfred' managed to get a D1 basketball look.

e491b395-155c-430e-8db2-0ad96bfaeb3e.jpeg

Kid has a good offer list, but not highly ranked. For the basketball recruiting guys, would he be considered more under the radar, raw, or a diamond in the rough? Or is there a more accurate cliche?

Kid has a good offer list, but not highly ranked. For the basketball recruiting guys, would he be considered more under the radar, raw, or a diamond in the rough? Or is there a more accurate cliche?

He was ranked quite a bit higher but chose to not play AAU one year and fell off the radar a little.

I like his build, long with above average handles. Can help you play positionless basketball. Personally, I don’t think his ceiling is super high. Probably a solid role player at this level. Think Amir Harris, not quite as bouncy but a better shooter.

Bring him in and see what he’s got. He’s probably going to get minutes this year, especially if McGowens isn’t waived as eligible.

Here's a quote from a Providence, R.I., newspaper dated April 29, 2020 (two days before Nebraska offered):

The Maryland native also claimed offers from the likes of Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Auburn, Georgia, TCU, Florida, Kansas State and Ole Miss. Wood was downgraded to a three-star recruit by internet scouting services after opting to sit out the grassroots circuit last summer.

Fred and his coaches must have seen something they liked. ;)

Last edited:

Here's a quote from a Providence, R.I., newspaper dated April 29, 2020 (two days before Nebraska offered):

Fred and his coaches must have seen something they liked. ;)
Probably the fact he is a higher rated prospect that anyone on our roster

He was ranked quite a bit higher but chose to not play AAU one year and fell off the radar a little.

I like his build, long with above average handles. Can help you play positionless basketball. Personally, I don’t think his ceiling is super high. Probably a solid role player at this level. Think Amir Harris, not quite as bouncy but a better shooter.

Bring him in and see what he’s got. He’s probably going to get minutes this year, especially if McGowens isn’t waived as eligible.

He isn't as quick as Amir at this point, but he doesn't look extremely mature physically, so I expect him to get quicker as he develops. The thing I think he's got going for him in addition to a pretty solid shooting stroke is he is looking to distribute and keeps his head up. He mentions off guard as well as point, and I could see him working well, as you say, positionless. He does tend to try to force passes on occasion, but that's not the worst trait in the world to have, and once he gets used to the speed of the B1G, he can reign that in a little.

I know some were surprised at how quickly we filled the Kobe spot, but I think Wood was a definite plan B, and to be honest, I doubt we get him if he'd played his year at Hargrave. He would have had more eyes on him, and a program closer to home would probably have scooped him up. I'm not as certain he gets much time this year, because he just doesn't quite look ready physically. One thing he's got that many guys don't is length. He can use that to overcome some of the lack of explosive quickness. When that quicker 6'2 guy goes by you, it's nice having an extra 6" of reach to contest the move to the basket.

He isn't as quick as Amir at this point, but he doesn't look extremely mature physically, so I expect him to get quicker as he develops. The thing I think he's got going for him in addition to a pretty solid shooting stroke is he is looking to distribute and keeps his head up. He mentions off guard as well as point, and I could see him working well, as you say, positionless. He does tend to try to force passes on occasion, but that's not the worst trait in the world to have, and once he gets used to the speed of the B1G, he can reign that in a little.

I know some were surprised at how quickly we filled the Kobe spot, but I think Wood was a definite plan B, and to be honest, I doubt we get him if he'd played his year at Hargrave. He would have had more eyes on him, and a program closer to home would probably have scooped him up. I'm not as certain he gets much time this year, because he just doesn't quite look ready physically. One thing he's got that many guys don't is length. He can use that to overcome some of the lack of explosive quickness. When that quicker 6'2 guy goes by you, it's nice having an extra 6" of reach to contest the move to the basket.
Good points. With as many ppl transferring so quick, will he transfer closer if he doesn’t get playing time like our freshmen last year?

Good points. With as many ppl transferring so quick, will he transfer closer if he doesn’t get playing time like our freshmen last year?
A couple of things give me hope he’d show some patience. First, he was willing to reclassify, which is disruptive for a kid. He obviously could have gotten a spot this year on plenty of college rosters, but he had a specific level he wants to compete at, and was willing to spend a year at Hargrave. Second, he was unique in his choice NOT to participate on the AAU team he had previously, which caused him to slide in the player ratings. That tells me he is thinking of what is right for his development and career, not just blindly following the herd. Hopefully that also means he hasn’t just listened to all those folks who tell kids they are the greatest, like so many do. I think his level of physical maturity could work in our favor as far as keeping him grounded.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back