• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Future schedules

blackshirt red

Recruit
2 Year Member
Next season looks "light years" easier than the gauntlet Nebraska faced this season. IF AM returns, the team should do well. I am thinking 9 or 10 wins.

Then I looked at 2024. Wow. Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State all in a row. It does seem Nebraska usually gets more than their fair share of top teams from the east. Could be interpreted as unfair or being placed with a unique opportunity.

Last edited:
Next season looks "light years" easier than the gauntlet Nebraska faced this season. IF AM returns, the team should do well. I am thinking 9 or 10 wins.

Then I looked at 2024. Wow. Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State all in a row. It does seem Nebraska usually gets more than their fair share of top teams from the east. Could be interpreted as unfair or being placed with a unique opportunity.
It is the Big Ten. Every game is a tough one. By 2024, with any luck, the big names you cited will be saying...oh crap, we have Nebraska.

Next year in-conference is certainly easier. Trading OSU and MSU for Rutgers and Indiana. You'd like to think that is a two win swing right there. In my opinion, only OU and Michigan are games that you look at next year is games we'll be somewhat heavy underdogs. Every other game is winnable. That being said, we didn't win a lot of those games we should have won this year too.

We definitely haven't always gotten the benefit of scheduling. We've certainly played OSU and Michigan more than we've gotten to play Maryland and Rutgers.

Next year in-conference is certainly easier. Trading OSU and MSU for Rutgers and Indiana. You'd like to think that is a two win swing right there. In my opinion, only OU and Michigan are games that you look at next year is games we'll be somewhat heavy underdogs. Every other game is winnable. That being said, we didn't win a lot of those games we should have won this year too.

We definitely haven't always gotten the benefit of scheduling. We've certainly played OSU and Michigan more than we've gotten to play Maryland and Rutgers.
Play the best to be the best

From 3 wins to 9 or 10 wins is a huge leap. That would mean we'd need to beat teams we've made a habit of losing to (just about every team that is average or better). And specifically, Big Ten West teams -- who we play every season -- and lose to many more times than not.

Last edited:
From 3 wins to 9 or 10 wins is a huge leap. That would mean we'd need to beat teams we've made a habit of losing to (just about every team that is average or better). And specifically, Big Ten West teams -- who we play every season -- and lose many more times than not to.

+1. We are something like .250 versus P5 opponents during the Frost era. 9 or 10 wins seems a bit optimistic in one season, when we haven't mounted that many against P5 teams over 4 years combined.

Last edited:
At this point, I’d have the same goal for next year that I did for this year. Win 6 games. Makes me puke just writing that.

I wasn’t optimistic for this year and apparently that was justified. I won’t be any more optimistic next year, even with an easier schedule. Remember MN the last two years, or how about Illinois?

Way to early to even think about next season to be honest. We need to see who the new offensive staff will be for starters. Need to see what will happen at QB position. We have many more questions marks then anything known at this point in time.

Mn . Loss
Ill loss
Wisc loss
Purdue loss
Mich loss

What makes those games easier in 2022
The schedule is MUCH more friendly and the tougher games are spaced apart. Now, I did qualify it with IF AM returns.

I made other assumptions such as being able to kick field goals, the Oline improved overall with a season under their belt, the coaches brought in on offense being a step up, AND Nebraska finding a power run game (much easier with an improved Oline that I am counting on). All those "one score games" sting badly. On the other hand, the team played a very difficult season and was competitive in every one of them. It is not much of a stretch to think those Ls can turn into Ws.

Quite honestly, if Nebraska could kick FGs and had a power running game inside the red zone, the record would be VERY different IMO. Remember, they could move the ball as well as anyone on the country until they got to about the opposing team's 20. Then they got stuffed and if they kicked it, missed...

Last edited:

Play the best to be the best

200.gif

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back