• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Funny how Husker BB fans forget where we really are!

FCHusker

#1 Husker Fan
15 Year Member
Why do all of you think that we are going to do any better than Tim Miles?? Be honest, because I am not seeing it! I bleed Husker Red with the best of them, but to be honest, if I was Tim Miles I would of probably stayed at CSU. (Hell, for all we know he still may.) But with Howland saying no, Groce saying no, Marshall saying no, why do you all think that we are going to do any better? There is a reason people dont want to come here. Drink all of the kool-aid you want, thats fine with me, but at the end of the day like stated before, Nebraska basketball fans need to remember who there team is and where they are. And where they have been for some time. Dont attack me, attack my message, tell me honestly why you think we are gonna get a WOW hire???????? (Hope there are better reasons than a new arena!)

I don't expect a WOW hire. The program has been too pitiful for too long for that to happen. I just hate seeing us do the mid-major guy who is marginally successful but doesn't have any track record of ability to recruit well. There's nothing in Miles resume to indicate he can recruit Mountain West championship talent, let alone recruit well enough to hang in the Big Ten. I didn't watch CSU much this year, but I didn't really see a well coached team on the floor vs Murray State, either. That may have been because Murray State has far superior athletes, but that leads us back to the ability to recruit.

You aren't going to win without talent. We seemed to focus this search on current head coaches. I think that's a mistake. Frank Martin had no head coaching experience and has done well at K-State. Roy Williams at KU had no head coaching experience. We need to think about finding our Roy Williams, a guy that has been in a winning program and is ready to have his own program. I'm not saying we'd get an assistant of Roy Williams' caliber, but there's gotta be some guys that could make this thing work out there that are willing to take the job. We're far more likely to get the end result we want looking for this kind of guy than going for another Barry Collier.

I don't expect a WOW hire. The program has been too pitiful for too long for that to happen. I just hate seeing us do the mid-major guy who is marginally successful but doesn't have any track record of ability to recruit well. There's nothing in Miles resume to indicate he can recruit Mountain West championship talent, let alone recruit well enough to hang in the Big Ten. I didn't watch CSU much this year, but I didn't really see a well coached team on the floor vs Murray State, either. That may have been because Murray State has far superior athletes, but that leads us back to the ability to recruit.

You aren't going to win without talent. We seemed to focus this search on current head coaches. I think that's a mistake. Frank Martin had no head coaching experience and has done well at K-State. Roy Williams at KU had no head coaching experience. We need to think about finding our Roy Williams, a guy that has been in a winning program and is ready to have his own program. I'm not saying we'd get an assistant of Roy Williams' caliber, but there's gotta be some guys that could make this thing work out there that are willing to take the job. We're far more likely to get the end result we want looking for this kind of guy than going for another Barry Collier.

Agree with most of what you said. I'm willing to guess feelers were sent out to top assistants at major programs as well. Maybe not, but it would be foolish to concentrate only on HC's. I'm thinking NU got no takers there as well.

Why not?

VCU has a WOW coach, Butler has a WOW coach, Ohio U has a WOW coach and there are a ton of Ex-Dukie players/assistants who have been successful at various programs. A general blanket statement of "husker BB fans forget where we really are" (ie we suck) is essentially tapping out and most of us don't roll like that.

NU has made a HUGE investment in facilities so my guess is they would want a positive return on them, right?

Last edited:

Agree with most of what you said. I'm willing to guess feelers were sent out to top assistants at major programs as well. Maybe not, but it would be foolish to concentrate only on HC's. I'm thinking NU got no takers there as well.

Hard to say if NU put out feelers or not. There were no reports that I am aware of that NU did that. Though the information on the search was held close to the vest we did hear who was on the short list. It seems to me we would have likely heard something if there had been much effort put into looking at assistants in other programs.

I hope you're right that the process was comprehensive and included highly regarded assistants before settling for Miles (if he accepts which, I have to admit, I hope he doesn't).

Why not?

NU has made a HUGE investment in facilities so my guess is they would want a positive return on them, right?

If no one is really interested then I wonder how well things were laid out for the candidates. NU has never really invested in men's hoops before. Past failure doesn't have to correlate to future mediocrity. We lack a rich, near-by recruiting ground, but in two years will have everything else in place. Fan support of a competitive team would be very good. It is for every NU team that is above average. Evidence is that attendance held up fairly well at the end of the Sadler era when compared to K-State at the end of Tom Asbury era (just preceding the Bob Huggins hire). I have a hard time accepting the idea that NU is doomed to perpetual mediocrity (or worse) in men's basketball.

Why not?

VCU has a WOW coach, Butler has a WOW coach, Ohio U has a WOW coach and there are a ton of Ex-Dukie players/assistants who have been successful at various programs. A general blanket statement of "husker BB fans forget where we really are" (ie we suck) is essentially tapping out and most of us don't roll like that.

These guys became WOW coaches in the last year or two. They, like Tim Miles and others started at Mid-Majors. But according too many, we need to stay away from that avenue.

These guys became WOW coaches in the last year or two. They, like Tim Miles and others started at Mid-Majors. But according too many, we need to stay away from that avenue.

Actually, they are currently highly successful head coaches still at mid-majors.

Interestingly enough, each of these guys came into their current positions not from other mid-majors but from assistant coaching positions. Shaka Smart was an assistant at Florida prior to taking the job at VCU, Brad Stevens was an assistant at Butler, moving up after the previous coach left for Iowa and John Groce was an assistant at Ohio State before taking the job at Ohio.

It's hard to believe Nebraska, especially with the upgrades, isn't a better job than Ohio U., VCU, etc. I would have much rather seen NU take a chance on an assistant that may become that next hot coach rather than taking a guy that hasn't been especially successful at a mid-major. The hiring of Tim Miles is a huge, huge disappointment.

I'm not optimistic this will turn out any better than the previous hires of moderately successful coaches from the mid-majors. Having said that, I will root for any team that wears Husker red. I wish Tim Miles much success at Nebraska and will be a fan of Husker basketball. I'm not rooting for him to fail in any way shape or form. Nebraska desperately needs him to be successful. If he's not, this may end up being viewed as missing the single best opportunity at relevance in the history of Husker hoops. I also encourage folks to be patient with Miles. He will need time. The program is in poor condition and the next couple of years are not likely to be pretty. No coach in the sport could change that unless NU hired John Calipari and his band of one-year mercenaries.

Last edited:

I would have to guess that our new coach will need to get some good recruits in here, get NE kids to stay home and make all that happen by making some home run Hires in the assistant coaching department. I think we can crawl out of the sewer and I hope that this coach can put together the pieces to make that happen under his watch. I don't have high expectations for next year, but I hope we can be pleasantly surprised...Hows that for eternal optimism mixed with a little glass half full of Big Red Kool-Aid!
:huskerflag::koolaid:

Actually, they are currently highly successful head coaches still at mid-majors.

Interestingly enough, each of these guys came into their current positions not from other mid-majors but from assistant coaching positions. Shaka Smart was an assistant at Florida prior to taking the job at VCU, Brad Stevens was an assistant at Butler, moving up after the previous coach left for Iowa and John Groce was an assistant at Ohio State before taking the job at Ohio.

It's hard to believe Nebraska, especially with the upgrades, isn't a better job than Ohio U., VCU, etc. I would have much rather seen NU take a chance on an assistant that may become that next hot coach rather than taking a guy that hasn't been especially successful at a mid-major. The hiring of Tim Miles is a huge, huge disappointment.

I'm not optimistic this will turn out any better than the previous hires of moderately successful coaches from the mid-majors. Having said that, I will root for any team that wears Husker red. I wish Tim Miles much success at Nebraska and will be a fan of Husker basketball. I'm not rooting for him to fail in any way shape or form. Nebraska desperately needs him to be successful. If he's not, this may end up being viewed as missing the single best opportunity at relevance in the history of Husker hoops. I also encourage folks to be patient with Miles. He will need time. The program is in poor condition and the next couple of years are not likely to be pretty. No coach in the sport could change that unless NU hired John Calipari and his band of one-year mercenaries.

THIS! Very nicely stated!

This.

I agree completely! :thumbsup:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back