• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

FSU demise

tenor.gif

I don't understand this hate for FSU. They have always been our "friendly rival" from the South. Sure we got screwed in that Orange Bowl title game....sure they lucked out twice up in Lincoln on Husker bonehead plays and turnovers, and sure we had them beat in that bowl game where Knox fumbled away the game sealer on the goaline and then we can't line up properly at the end of the game, and of course there was that embarrassing Peter-Tom-Willis-chuck-as-far-as-you-can-and-have -a-guy-make-the-best-catch-of-his-life bowl game............

but... Bobby Bowden LOVES Nebraska.

I don't understand this hate for FSU. They have always been our "friendly rival" from the South. Sure we got screwed in that Orange Bowl title game....sure they lucked out twice up in Lincoln on Husker bonehead plays and turnovers, and sure we had them beat in that bowl game where Knox fumbled away the game sealer on the goaline and then we can't line up properly at the end of the game, and of course there was that embarrassing Peter-Tom-Willis-chuck-as-far-as-you-can-and-have -a-guy-make-the-best-catch-of-his-life bowl game............

but... Bobby Bowden LOVES Nebraska.
Bowden should love Nebraska since he was gifted a NC at our expense.

Last edited:
FSU was always my favorite of the Florida schools. I liked them better when Bowden was there, though.

The main thing I got from that article was the dysfunction and tension between coach and the administration. They fell apart because they weren't on the same page. A similar story could be written on NU. We just deteriorated over a longer period of time. A return to relevance will never happen without the support of the administration. The biggest reason for optimism now is that adminstration, AD and Frost all seem to be on the same page with where we want to go. It's taking longer than we would like but we are on the right path, IMO.

Last edited:

Many forget the impact FSU had on the Huskers in the 90s. They helped Nebraska reshape their defense.

"What made the defensive change more difficult was the Big Eight, a conference in which the best teams could line up and run at a defense. But the game against Colorado in 1992 and victories against Oklahoma in 1991 and 1992 showed that the Huskers’ could stop the run in pass packages.

Ironically, Florida State helped Nebraska make the change. Bobby Bowden and his assistants shared “everything with our coaching staff,” Alberts said in a 1997 interview."

If you read the article, you can see a lot of parallels between what is happening at FSU and what has happened at Nebraska earlier in this century.

I beloved HC that won a lot of games is replaced by an assistant. The assistant has some success, but it just isn't quite up to snuff with boosters and administration.

Its not even close to a perfect mirror image, but you can see how even in a talent rich area of the country a school that has had a huge amount of decades long success can fall on hard times.

If they are following NUs fall from relevancy path, they have another 15+ years to go. It is sadly reminiscent of our steep decline from 1997 to 2004.

Wow steep decline? Right now Nebraska fans would and should kill to have the the types of record that Frank Solich had from 97-2003. He had one .500 season. The year he was fired the team was 10-3 with a bowl game win.

Unfortunately too many Nebraska fans thought Nebraska football would and should be playing in the National title game in perpetuity. I guess I never thought that was going to happen. The run was great fun, but I never thought it was going to last forever. So we traded in being a good team for what we have right now.

Wow steep decline? Right now Nebraska fans would and should kill to have the the types of record that Frank Solich had from 97-2003. He had one .500 season. The year he was fired the team was 10-3 with a bowl game win.

Unfortunately too many Nebraska fans thought Nebraska football would and should be playing in the National title game in perpetuity. I guess I never thought that was going to happen. The run was great fun, but I never thought it was going to last forever. So we traded in being a good team for what we have right now.
I would certainly sign up for some 9-win and 10-win seasons right now. I guess my point was we went from winning our third national title in four years in 1997 to losing games by up to 60 points and finishing with a losing record in 2004 (under Callahan, not Solich). Whoever you want to blame for it, that is a steep decline.

Solich's 2002 season was really bad, and it unfortunately led to terrible AD and coaching hires. And then we doubled down on that approach at the end of the Pelini/Osborne regime with arguably worse AD and coaching hires.

College football is better when FSU is good. Those wide right games were huge events. And FSU/Florida was always a great rivalry game to watch at the end of the season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back