• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frustrating to see other B1G schools STILL adding recruits

I find the "last years class" comments interesting. While I agree we finished up with a good class, we had to sign 10 guys in the last 10 days to get there. That is basically our entire class we can take for right now. We also had recruiting analysts and the coaches thinking we wouldn't be in that position for 2021 since our board was set up so well:

WIth that tweet, he's referencing a fast start to 2021, and "more commit this month" after Kpai committed. We actually didn't get another until the end of March. Guys like Keagan Johnson, Avante Dickerson, and others we thought we were in good shape with committed elsewhere. Not trying to doom and gloom this, but this isn't how we wanted things to be going at all. We can't just act like how Minnesota and Iowa are recruiting doesn't matter because we still ended up ok with our 2020 class last year. They both have double our commits and basically the same average star ranking per recruit as us. That's definitely different than years prior. Iowa used to be almost done recruiting in June, but would be sitting with a 2.75 average star ranking. They are sitting at 3.2 right now compared to our 3.14.

Now, glass is half full, we probably would have a commitment from Fidone and one or two others right now if not for the Rona'. And i'm not really panicking about our class, we will still finish higher than those teams. But we thought it would be easier on us this year, and it turns out that isn't the case. Which is much different than our coaches expected.

This staff just don't seem to be able to make the adjustments other schools have made. NU has slid all the way down ti 42nd or 10th in the BIG.

I find the "last years class" comments interesting. While I agree we finished up with a good class, we had to sign 10 guys in the last 10 days to get there. That is basically our entire class we can take for right now. We also had recruiting analysts and the coaches thinking we wouldn't be in that position for 2021 since our board was set up so well:

WIth that tweet, he's referencing a fast start to 2021, and "more commit this month" after Kpai committed. We actually didn't get another until the end of March. Guys like Keagan Johnson, Avante Dickerson, and others we thought we were in good shape with committed elsewhere. Not trying to doom and gloom this, but this isn't how we wanted things to be going at all. We can't just act like how Minnesota and Iowa are recruiting doesn't matter because we still ended up ok with our 2020 class last year. They both have double our commits and basically the same average star ranking per recruit as us. That's definitely different than years prior. Iowa used to be almost done recruiting in June, but would be sitting with a 2.75 average star ranking. They are sitting at 3.2 right now compared to our 3.14.

Now, glass is half full, we probably would have a commitment from Fidone and one or two others right now if not for the Rona'. And i'm not really panicking about our class, we will still finish higher than those teams. But we thought it would be easier on us this year, and it turns out that isn't the case. Which is much different than our coaches expected.

Nothing you don't already know but 5-7 vs. 11-2 MN (wins over Aub, PSU, NU & finished ranked 10th). and 11-3 IOWA (Victories over , MN, USC. NU & finished ranked 15th).

SF and company need to produce more wins and get ranked before some kids are going to take a chance on the program. We'll get our class together but to take the next step the program has to show improvement. Fingers crossed for 2020 and and better results.

This staff just don't seem to be able to make the adjustments other schools have made. NU has slid all the way down ti 42nd or 10th in the BIG.
I don't know if they are struggling to make adjustments. I can tell you Frost was a little worried due to the Covid thing and lack of being able to get kids on campus. That's why when we lose Keagan Johnson, Avante Dickerson, Beau Stephens, and others who have visited multiple times to division rivals, it hurts that much more. We will be fine in the long run, but we were hoping to be doing more coaching in season and recruiting to be close to over by then. This tweet is very interesting to me:

So we went from having a 2021 board set up for quicker success, to now having the most offers out of any FBS team with the second fewest commits in conference and our narrative has changed to "we are just being more selective." It's pretty easy to see it's not going the way we want right now.

With that said, it's not like we are getting losses, NSD is a long way away. Recruiting in May isn't anything to get too worried about. But we definitely don't want to have to sign 10 guys in 10 days like last year. Keep in mind last year (2020 class) we actually had 2 more spaces available, we just had so many spots to fill there wasn't enough quality out there.

Nothing you don't already know but 5-7 vs. 11-2 MN (wins over Aub, PSU, NU & finished ranked 10th). and 11-3 IOWA (Victories over , MN, USC. NU & finished ranked 15th).

SF and company need to produce more wins and get ranked before some kids are going to take a chance on the program. We'll get our class together but to take the next step the program has to show improvement. Fingers crossed for 2020 and and better results.
That's pretty much it. People are jumping on board with Minnesota because they had double digit wins last year, they are jumping on boar with Iowa because they produce draft picks every year. They need to see it from Nebraska. Covid has slowed us down a bit, but that's just a smoke screen for the real issue.... we need 2020 to come around so we can prove we aren't a sub .500 football team.

The continued push from NCAA to slow recruiting this summer doesn't help us, but you would think it wouldn't help other schools either, like Iowa and MN. We are at 8 commits now with probably 10 or so to go. I wonder if they are asking for the commit at other places or if we are more patient with it.

The continued push from NCAA to slow recruiting this summer doesn't help us, but you would think it wouldn't help other schools either, like Iowa and MN. We are at 8 commits now with probably 10 or so to go. I wonder if they are asking for the commit at other places or if we are more patient with it.
We just got a commit. Not hurting us too bad. A couple more that’s close.

Minnesota is pressuring recruits heavily to commit now and will likely see a ton of decommits once things open up fwiw
That being said, different strokes for different folks and theirs is working now. Nebraska is poised to make a nice run on recruits in the next two months
Just curious, how do you know Minnesota is pressuring recruits?

Minnesota and especially Iowa have proven capable of beating us with inferior talent. As you say, that talent gap is closing. Even if we do finish well with the 2021 class, that gap will be much smaller than it used to be.

We will possibly/probably finish higher than those two in the recruiting rankings -- IF we make a bowl game in 2020. As I'm sure you'd agree, if we somehow stumble again to a losing record in 2020, my hopes for the 2021 class take a tremendous hit. We won't be able to continue to sell the "it's a process" much longer. We need to win now.

im thinking on January 3rd of 2020 mr Mike wasn’t expecting corona to shut everything down

Also yeah, Minnesota and Iowa recruiting doesn’t matter to me right now

holler back at the end of the cycle

also signing 10 guys in 10 days isn’t terrible imo

means we were in on higher caliber recruits, typically, waiting for decision day

Last edited:
im thinking on January 3rd of 2020 mr Mike wasn’t expecting corona to shut everything down

means we were in on higher caliber recruits, typically, waiting for decision day
Lol...

7/10 visited for the first time in December. 2/10 visited for the first time in November. Didn’t set up visits for 50% of them til December and our HC/DC left our biggest weekend of visitors to go court a guy who committed to Wisconsin 24 hours later even tho “we were in on high caliber recruits visiting”... but ya... just higher caliber recruits is the reason. Lol “waiting for decision day”, may want to go look at who we got and over who for our December 7th and 14th weekend.

I appreciate the spin tho. “Holler back” when our coaches aren’t worried.

Last edited:

tenor_8633196_mediumgif_803283647597577.gif

Just curious, how do you know Minnesota is pressuring recruits?

Fleck puts on the hard sell. Some coaches, like Frost, take the opposite approach which is probably why he doesn't have a lot of decommits. They're usually a mutual decision by both parties or flat out Frost moving on (RJ Sorensen).

Fleck takes the same approach that Bill Callahan did when he was at Nebraska.

Fleck puts on the hard sell. Some coaches, like Frost, take the opposite approach which is probably why he doesn't have a lot of decommits. They're usually a mutual decision by both parties or flat out Frost moving on (RJ Sorensen).

Fleck takes the same approach that Bill Callahan did when he was at Nebraska.
And this is exactly why I think the AD saga isn't over.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back