• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frustrating to see other B1G schools STILL adding recruits

huskerman1

Scout Team
10 Year Member
I see MN added 2 more OL recruits last week. Seems like forever since we added anyone.

I think that maybe other schools are ahead of NU in virtual recruiting. What are these schools telling/showing recruits that we aren't?

There seems to be a lot of angst over the status of recruiting. The loss of a couple of in-state kids will do that, I suppose. My take is that this class is going to be fairly small so we aren't behind and we already have some good quality. I also think the reality is the program will largely either launch or fail to launch on the backs of the last two classes. There look to be some outstanding players in those classes but they are still really young. Here's to hoping they develop quickly and it feeds future recruiting momentum.

I see MN added 2 more OL recruits last week. Seems like forever since we added anyone.

I think that maybe other schools are ahead of NU in virtual recruiting. What are these schools telling/showing recruits that we aren't?
And they had a DL decommit

Yes, it is early in the cycle and there's still plenty of time. With that said, it's rarely if ever a good thing to be sitting 11th or 12th in your conference heading into summer. Having two highly-rated local kids opt for division opponents adds to the perception that things are not going particularly well on the recruiting front for the 2021 class.

Maybe Frost and company know something about recruiting during a lockdown that other coaches don't know. It seems more likely though that all of those other coaches have figured out a way to recruit more productively during the lockdown than NU has been able to do.

Yes, it is early in the cycle and there's still plenty of time. With that said, it's rarely if ever a good thing to be sitting 11th or 12th in your conference heading into summer. Having two highly-rated local kids opt for division opponents adds to the perception that things are not going particularly well on the recruiting front for the 2021 class.

Maybe Frost and company know something about recruiting during a lockdown that other coaches don't know. It seems more likely though that all of those other coaches have figured out a way to recruit more productively during the lockdown than NU has been able to do.
My hope is they are playing this odd recruiting situation the best they can to their advantage. Maybe they have a feeling about where we sit with some uncommitted kids and those who they feel are placeholding during this time? Maybe they are taking a more patient, methodical approach? It seems like they did last year and that worked out. It may be blind hope on my part, but that's all I got.

It seems like this is where we were last year, as well. We'll pull in a lot of guys to be excited about, just like last year. I really wish we could get out to a faster start, but that doesn't seem to be our m.o.

We sure are making a lot of top 5 lists, which is not the same as a commit, but still.

Exactly my point. Why/how?

Last edited:

I find the "last years class" comments interesting. While I agree we finished up with a good class, we had to sign 10 guys in the last 10 days to get there. That is basically our entire class we can take for right now. We also had recruiting analysts and the coaches thinking we wouldn't be in that position for 2021 since our board was set up so well:

WIth that tweet, he's referencing a fast start to 2021, and "more commit this month" after Kpai committed. We actually didn't get another until the end of March. Guys like Keagan Johnson, Avante Dickerson, and others we thought we were in good shape with committed elsewhere. Not trying to doom and gloom this, but this isn't how we wanted things to be going at all. We can't just act like how Minnesota and Iowa are recruiting doesn't matter because we still ended up ok with our 2020 class last year. They both have double our commits and basically the same average star ranking per recruit as us. That's definitely different than years prior. Iowa used to be almost done recruiting in June, but would be sitting with a 2.75 average star ranking. They are sitting at 3.2 right now compared to our 3.14.

Now, glass is half full, we probably would have a commitment from Fidone and one or two others right now if not for the Rona'. And i'm not really panicking about our class, we will still finish higher than those teams. But we thought it would be easier on us this year, and it turns out that isn't the case. Which is much different than our coaches expected.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back