• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frustrating to see other B1G schools STILL adding recruits

How many of the coaches expected a pandemic? Let's wait til signing day before we get too worked up about where the rank is and how many players NU can sign.
Recruits can still wait until February
that's true, for the patient teenage boy who isn't dying to make his name known. The high schoolers I teach aren't known for patience. I guess to be part of spring football will have to do the early signing period. I guess my original question had to do with trying to keep the athletic scene on somewhat of a level playing field as some states will have in place limitations that others don't have.

Lol...

7/10 visited for the first time in December. 2/10 visited for the first time in November. Didn’t set up visits for 50% of them til December and our HC/DC left our biggest weekend of visitors to go court a guy who committed to Wisconsin 24 hours later even tho “we were in on high caliber recruits visiting”... but ya... just higher caliber recruits is the reason. Lol “waiting for decision day”, may want to go look at who we got and over who for our December 7th and 14th weekend.

I appreciate the spin tho. “Holler back” when our coaches aren’t worried.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this could have been said during the last two really good classes...and if I had the time to look, it might have been. Since there were a pretty good group of signees most didn’t know we were in on, its probably safe to assume that’s true again. This staff apparently isn’t sharing their plan as some have in the past. I guess that’s my spin.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this could have been said during the last two really good classes...and if I had the time to look, it might have been. Since there were a pretty good group of signees most didn’t know we were in on, its probably safe to assume that’s true again. This staff apparently isn’t sharing their plan as some have in the past. I guess that’s my spin.
Maybe.... but we had 10 commits the last 10 days before the first NSD of the 2020 class and at least 50% of them were offered after November 1st (Payne, Brown, Riley, Cooper, and Mauga). So was our staff "in on" these guys back in May of 2019 but didn't offer them til' November? I just can't get there. I think most reasonable people don't believe that either. I think we all know that we would rather have Keagan Johnson, Jaylin Noel, Avante Dickerson all committed right now. But we are going to have to go to Plan B and C's like we did in the 2020 class and the guys mentioned. Does that mean the guys I referenced won't be good? Not at all. But I can promise you our staff would rather have guys on board as opposed to still be looking.

For all the reference to the 2020 class "turning out alright", 50% of our our last 10 commits didn't even have offers til November. We don't want to be in that spot again.

Last edited:
I can't imagine how challenging recruiting would be. For example, Jaylin Noel just picked ISU and also talked about having spoken to a Nebraska coach every single day for who knows how long. The time you put in just to have a guy pick someone else would be so frustrating! Especially when they are picking teams you play against or are local.

but what else are you going to do? We clearly recruit with a lot of effort and energy and it does not seem like we are ever completely lost. We don't want to be finding 10 guys in the last 10 days, but they were able to to do it. They weren't lost and did not just give up and go after a bunch of mid level guys.

I watched previous staffs bring in guys with no better offers time and time again. We are more organized, competitive, and driven than that in recruiting, it seems.

Additionally, I have been watching a lot of Football in 60 and I just keep thinking about how many of the guys on a lot of these teams would have contributed for us. There are not just a magic few kids that would work here and if we miss them we are forever doomed. There are thousands of kids that can play at this level.

Last edited:
Maybe.... but we had 10 commits the last 10 days before the first NSD of the 2020 class and at least 50% of them were offered after November 1st (Payne, Brown, Riley, Cooper, and Mauga). So was our staff "in on" these guys back in May of 2019 but didn't offer them til' November? I just can't get there. I think most reasonable people don't believe that either. I think we all know that we would rather have Keagan Johnson, Jaylin Noel, Avante Dickerson all committed right now. But we are going to have to go to Plan B and C's like we did in the 2020 class and the guys mentioned. Does that mean the guys I referenced won't be good? Not at all. But I can promise you our staff would rather have guys on board as opposed to still be looking.

For all the reference to the 2020 class "turning out alright", 50% of our our last 10 commits didn't even have offers til November. We don't want to be in that spot again.
I don’t think we had a kid like Noel or Johnson as some lofty plan A. Their ratings and physical attributes just aren’t that exceptional. Fidone, yes, he’d be tougher to replace, but even then, he’s not at a position we are void of talent. I mentioned it in a prior post, I think we have 1-A, 1-B and 1-C. Then we may go to a drop in talent by taking a lower ‘Plan B or C’ guy.

You mentioned 10 guys in the last 10 days, but we took 26? So 60% were locked up early, filling needs, and 40% were the best talent that could fill gaps. The 5 that didn’t have offers until November doesn’t mean they hadn’t been communicated with previously. With the talent levels we’ve been shooting for, and the number of players not making decisions until later in the process, I think this is more the norm.

Unless you are a high profile school that kids are scrambling to commit to, or you have a basic model of the type of athlete you are looking for and it isn’t heavy with highly rated kids, then I think we need to be prepared to scratch and claw right up until the end. I don’t see that as a staff in disarray, I see that as a heck of an effort to execute under pressure.

Last edited:

Agree. And another point I would like to add about filling large chunks of your class with kids in November and December, is that often times those kids haven't been vetted as thoroughly as the staff would like.

Those five guys you mentioned who were offered merely weeks before the early signing period are talented, no doubt about it. Brown and Mauga-Clements were four-stars who help make your class ranking look great. Heck, all five might be key contributors as early as this year.

But what a lot of people don't take into account is when you don't have time to get to know a kid; his background, his personality, his home life, his family structure, his attitude, his drive, his motivation, etc, often times that kid just isn't a fit for your culture. There's a reason coaches will tell you that it takes 18+ months to properly recruit a cycle. Coaches start getting to know kids during their sophomore year in high school. Kids - even ones who are four and five-star talents - that sign with a school they have a limited relationship with, statistically are more likely to transfer or just not be good fits and are considered misses.

Agree. And another point I would like to add about filling large chunks of your class with kids in November and December, is that often times those kids haven't been vetted as thoroughly as the staff would like.

Those five guys you mentioned who were offered merely weeks before the early signing period are talented, no doubt about it. Brown and Mauga-Clements were four-stars who help make your class ranking look great. Heck, all five might be key contributors as early as this year.

But what a lot of people don't take into account is when you don't have time to get to know a kid; his background, his personality, his home life, his family structure, his attitude, his drive, his motivation, etc, often times that kid just isn't a fit for your culture. There's a reason coaches will tell you that it takes 18+ months to properly recruit a cycle. Coaches start getting to know kids during their sophomore year in high school. Kids - even ones who are four and five-star talents - that sign with a school they have a limited relationship with, statistically are more likely to transfer or just not be good fits and are considered misses.
I think you are assuming we aren't in contact with these guys far sooner. We may not have offered them, but I have a great deal of faith in a guy like Held that he's been doing his digging and behind the scenes diligence in finding out all he can on the kid. Not everyone is going to be perfect, but even when we have a 2 year courtship, we've seen guys fall by the wayside.

Lot of great points being brought up in this thread.

- I think N2FL makes a great point about not vetting the recruits that well that commit late in the game. I think you've seen that play out in the 2018 class as so many of them left or were booted. Frost was just didn't have time to make sure the guys he was recruiting were going to stick around and be good fits.

- We have supposedly had superior talent to our West division rivals the past few years according to the rankings but that doesn't matter when you've had the attrition that Nebraska has had over the years. Look at our 2017 class and ask what good it does to have guys like Avery Roberts and Tristan Gebbia at the top of our rankings. Jaevon McQuitty or KJ Jr anyone? Far too many misses. The rankings matter only just so much as you can retain and develop them.

- For all the guys we've snagged in the Riley and Frost years we've missed so many of the ones that really mattered. Take the 2016 class for instance. We closed late on big targets like Matt Farniok, Lamar Jackson, and Pernell Jefferson. But we missed targets like WR Desmond Fitzpatrick (highly productive career at Louisville), LB David Reese (tackling machine and leader at Florida), ATH Isaiah Simmons (top 10 draft pick), and Noah Fant (no need to rehash). I think we even passed on OT Alaric Jackson (correct me if I'm wrong) in favor of Farniok. Now Jackson is an All-American candidate for our rival. Are we just not selecting correctly? Not developing? Or just grabbing the guys with big resumes who other coaches see through? Maybe all the above.

- I think there's something to be said for fit and attitude. Kansas State, Iowa, ISU, etc. have fielded much better teams than Nebraska the past 5 years with worse recruiting classes. Their guys are disciplined, fundamentally sound, and sacrifice their bodies to play physical on the field. It makes up for a lack of raw talent. I won't name names but I've seen too many high-star guys at NU refuse to lay the big hit or sell out to make a stop the past few years. They don't bleed red like so many of our former players did.

-Which brings me to my last point. Our slow start is particularly vexing because there is a bumper crop of local area recruits this year that Nebraska for the most part has failed to land. We snagged Teddy, Kpai, and Lutovsky but we've missed or will miss on countless others - Noel, Dickerson, Johnson, Travion Ford, TJ Bollers (most likely), Connor Colby, Riley Mahlman, Brody Brecht, Beau Stephens, Jeff Bowie, etc. - to division rivals. Local guys are more likely to stay because they're used to the midwest, the winters and the punishing style of football it takes to win in the Big 10. They're more likely to bleed scarlet and cream and sell out for the program.

I'm still optimistic because I do like the young talent on the roster and believe in Frost. I think he'll secure a good class in the end. But I definitely see the reasons for pessimism as well. Keep the faith.

What metrics are you using for "limited relationship" and how many of the 4-5 star recruits each year actually sign with teams that fit those metrics? I know there are some high profile players that maybe miss out or are replaced with another player at a Bama or OSU, but do they in turn sign with a team they haven't been in contact with? It sure seems the late signings of those type of players still end up with GA, USC, etc. (other schools that have talked with them for some time). I just don't see alot of out of the blue signings (say an expected Clemson 4* recruit who ends up at Syracuse) because of a late offer.

Lot of great points being brought up in this thread.

- I think N2FL makes a great point about not vetting the recruits that well that commit late in the game. I think you've seen that play out in the 2018 class as so many of them left or were booted. Frost was just didn't have time to make sure the guys he was recruiting were going to stick around and be good fits.

- We have supposedly had superior talent to our West division rivals the past few years according to the rankings but that doesn't matter when you've had the attrition that Nebraska has had over the years. Look at our 2017 class and ask what good it does to have guys like Avery Roberts and Tristan Gebbia at the top of our rankings. Jaevon McQuitty or KJ Jr anyone? Far too many misses. The rankings matter only just so much as you can retain and develop them.

- For all the guys we've snagged in the Riley and Frost years we've missed so many of the ones that really mattered. Take the 2016 class for instance. We closed late on big targets like Matt Farniok, Lamar Jackson, and Pernell Jefferson. But we missed targets like WR Desmond Fitzpatrick (highly productive career at Louisville), LB David Reese (tackling machine and leader at Florida), ATH Isaiah Simmons (top 10 draft pick), and Noah Fant (no need to rehash). I think we even passed on OT Alaric Jackson (correct me if I'm wrong) in favor of Farniok. Now Jackson is an All-American candidate for our rival. Are we just not selecting correctly? Not developing? Or just grabbing the guys with big resumes who other coaches see through? Maybe all the above.

- I think there's something to be said for fit and attitude. Kansas State, Iowa, ISU, etc. have fielded much better teams than Nebraska the past 5 years with worse recruiting classes. Their guys are disciplined, fundamentally sound, and sacrifice their bodies to play physical on the field. It makes up for a lack of raw talent. I won't name names but I've seen too many high-star guys at NU refuse to lay the big hit or sell out to make a stop the past few years. They don't bleed red like so many of our former players did.

-Which brings me to my last point. Our slow start is particularly vexing because there is a bumper crop of local area recruits this year that Nebraska for the most part has failed to land. We snagged Teddy, Kpai, and Lutovsky but we've missed or will miss on countless others - Noel, Dickerson, Johnson, Travion Ford, TJ Bollers (most likely), Connor Colby, Riley Mahlman, Brody Brecht, Beau Stephens, Jeff Bowie, etc. - to division rivals. Local guys are more likely to stay because they're used to the midwest, the winters and the punishing style of football it takes to win in the Big 10. They're more likely to bleed scarlet and cream and sell out for the program.

I'm still optimistic because I do like the young talent on the roster and believe in Frost. I think he'll secure a good class in the end. But I definitely see the reasons for pessimism as well. Keep the faith.

I'm sure you feel the program is having more issues than normal, but I'm just not seeing it. The one year that looks really shaky was year 1, and we all know that because the staff got a late start, and had to lean on players they knew from prior recruiting efforts, and an area they have greater familiarity with, the overall results were not good. The following year was a step up, though we still lost some guys (Chase comes to mind). The reason appear to vary, but in most instances, These guys are leaving or getting the boot because of poor vetting. Chase had some depression/homesickness issues, and he's signed with I believe Portland State, so he may have realized big time football was more than he was prepared for. Is that a failure on the coaches part? Maybe, or maybe the kid didn't recognize the jump college was going to be. We also lost two of the 'Cams', but I recall one thinking he was going to get more time as a freshman, and left for greener pastures. The other I'm not sure has ended up anywhere. Both looked like excellent players, but apparently patience wasn't a virtue in at least one of the cases. Again, as a coach, I don't know what could be done to teach patience, but in my experience, a player has to see themselves as far better to not understand the guy who has been around a few years has an advantage. Woodyard I have no idea about other than our WR room has looked pretty pathetic the last couple of years, and the guy in charge of it is now gone. Pickering has too many behind the scenes drama to really understand what happened there, but it must have been substantial enough to put us without a kicker, and likely cost us at least 2 games. I have zero understanding of the issue, so I'm hard pressed to lay that on a coach. Bell, same spot as Woodyard, and he seemed long on attitude, and short on delivery. This one might be on Held, as I think he was the guy who had the relationship with the Juco coach. His film and ratings suggested he was a really good RB, but something never clicked.

Putting the defections on the staff for the 2017 misses ignores the fact that several of those guys just didn't fit the system, or weren't of a mindset to change in the manner that was expected. It's funny, in one breath I read guys who complained that Frost should have come in with a 'my way or the highway' attitude, and still others felt he didn't bend enough for the players. All that tells me is everyone has amazingly acute hindsight.

And seriously, if you are going to dredge up all the guys we've missed on that have gone on to have great careers with other teams, why not toss in Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Hatoli Ngata? All really liked us...right up until they didn't. With the exception of the guys who recently flaked, I'm actually pretty pleased with how we've worked the locals over the last few years. Don't get too caught up in the doom and gloom some are spouting. It's as dead a time a year as we've ever experienced, and people are going to analyze the crap out of stuff, which is fine, but we don't have much ability to change the perception with on campus visits, or games to showcase the opportunity. I haven't spent the time to learn about all these locals we don't have committed, but are any of them life long Hawkeye, Badger, Wildcat, Cyclone, Whatever fans? I've never understood the arrogance we as fans can have with our expectations for a kid to turn their backs on their favorite program just because we make an offer. Some do, and that's great, but plenty still want to chase the childhood dream as a Gopher...or whatever.

Keep in mind we are seeing a kid we thought was critical to land, ditch us for ASU, only to return to walk on. People don't realize how varying recruiting styles are. Some are pure used car, some are almost like evangelists. Others can walk into a room, all 5'9" of them, and act like they are Xerxes from 300, and that hooks some kids. I don't know what Scott does, but I'm betting it's pretty low key, but to the point. And don't put too much on losing a player to a school they have deep feelings for, like Watts. I have loved the Huskers my entire life, and I have my dad in the basketball HOF in Lincoln, but I promise you, my all time dream school was Duke, so if I'd been talented enough, I would have said 'see ya' to the Big Red and gone Blue Devil in a heartbeat (Think Bill Jackman). That wouldn't have been Iba's fault, it would have been a kid following a dream. That's what some players are doing, and we need to remember that.

Fleck puts on the hard sell. Some coaches, like Frost, take the opposite approach which is probably why he doesn't have a lot of decommits. They're usually a mutual decision by both parties or flat out Frost moving on (RJ Sorensen).

Fleck takes the same approach that Bill Callahan did when he was at Nebraska.
Fleck is really taking advantage of this pandemic, like you say putting on a hard sell, would not surprise me if at the end of all this effort he is left out to dry, other than Dickerson, look at the offer of his other commitments

Fleck is really taking advantage of this pandemic, like you say putting on a hard sell, would not surprise me if at the end of all this effort he is left out to dry, other than Dickerson, look at the offer of his other commitments
The question is why a hard sell from Fleck would work. Is a 4* kid really worried about Minne-friggin-sota not taking him a month or two later, or even the night before signing day for that matter?

Saban or Dabo might be able to get away with that, but Fleck in Minnesota?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back