• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost's record vs. all FBS coaches with at least 40 games at their current school

This can all be argued back and forth, but it's not entirely clear one way or the other. I tend to lean towards keeping Frost because of the progress on the field, even if it has yet to translate into wins. I struggle to take seriously anyone who disagrees that the team generally looks better now than it has in quite some time.
It absolutely does look better on the field. But let’s be truthful. We have had a low bar set over the last 7 years. Anything looks better at this point. We should not have that low of a bar in year 4.

Last edited:

If we lose to Purdue (not impossible), there's a real chance we'll go 0-4.

Ohio State is next up after Purdue. And then you get to the point where the players could no longer play with fire to finish out the season, sitting at 3-7.

It's very possible Purdue determines Frost's fate. Win it, could salvage a couple wins and hang onto his job. Lose it, and the bottom could fall out.
This is correct all day every day at this point. Hoping for a win, but TBD. GBR

Here's the rub: we clearly don't play like a bottom-of-the-barrel team. It's not like playing against Kansas or Kansas State in the 80s. Teams still have to show up and work to beat us.

It is true that Nebraska hasn't been playing like the bottom of the barrel (for the most part).

But a significant takeaway from those stats is that it's among coaches who have coached 40 or more games (which is currently 55). And as Bishop points out, there's a lot of turnover in coaching (Nebraska is not close to alone in the current high $$$ salaries).

Frost is at the bottom of the winning percentage list (only surpassed by the San Jose coach) because coaches very rarely last to 40 games with winning percentages like Frost's.

There's programs he wouldn't have made it past two years. The vast majority, he wouldn't have made it past three. And I highly doubt there's any other P5 program where there would even be a discussion of he possibility of a year five. I also highly doubt that for the vast majority of FCS schools for a coach working on a 4th straight losing season.

I do understand that there's been some encouraging signs this year. But I also believe our relative success hinges largely on the defense. And Frost has openly said he has nothing to do with that. The offense is still full of flaws. And he's never made a strong commitment to special teams. Our failure rest on his shoulders. And without Chinander's defense, it would look a lot worse than it does.

Last edited:
It is true that Nebraska hasn't been playing like the bottom of the barrel (for the most part).

But a significant takeaway from those stats is that it's among coaches who have coached 40 or more games (which is currently 55). And as Bishop points out, there's a lot of turnover in coaching (Nebraska is not close to alone in the current high $$$ salaries).

Frost is at the bottom of the winning percentage list (only surpassed by the San Jose coach) because coaches very rarely last to 40 games with winning percentages like Frost's.

There's programs he wouldn't have made it past two years. The vast majority, he wouldn't have made it past three. And I highly doubt there's any other P5 program where there would even be a discussion of he possibility of a year five. I highly doubt that for the vast majority of FCS schools for a coach working on a 4th straight losing season.

I do understand that there's been some encouraging signs this year. But I also believe our relative success hinges largely on the defense. And Frost has openly said he has nothing to do with that. The offense is still full of flaws. And he's never made a strong commitment to special teams. Our failure rest on his shoulders. And without Chinander's defense, it would look a lot worse than it does.
The bottom line for me, all our encouraging signs were all losses.

Uhhh, so this is how we feel about our last national championship winning team now? Even if Frost gets fired and ends up being a failure as head coach, it doesn't mean you need to rewrite history about his playing days. The dude won a national championship for Nebraska and also was incredible on that game-tying drive in Missouri. Take it easy.
Wish he coached as well as he played

I think Trev is the right guy for the moment. I have less confidence that Nebraska is in a position to make a great hire, Trev or no Trev.

I read again and again that if we just throw $7 million at a top candidate, it's a done deal. We were still an elite team in 2003 (just two years from a title appearance) and 4 coaches took less money to not coach Nebraska. It's the worst best job in college football.
Just guessing but maybe since they were objective outsiders they could see how slimey SP really was.

I guess it's like anything else in life. Trev needs to weigh both sides of situation, discuss it with the appropriate people, make a decision and make the best of it right or wrong. Glad it's not me that has to make decision!

I can respect this. Physically there is no doubt the team looks better. Other aspects like player personnel decisions and ST I’d say look even worse. On the field product is about the same to me.

There are clearly no 100% right or wrong answers. That being said, I think it is time to move on. If there is no clear upside or definitive positive after 4 years it is time to spin the wheel again. Next coach may be better and may be worse, but the odds would seem to indicate better.
I didn't think we could do worse than MR. Just shows what I know.

I didn't think we could do worse than MR. Just shows what I know.
I can’t believe it either. I honestly thought Frost was going to bring us back. As a fan base we were so united and excited, and look at us now.

There are no guarantees and i’m not even sure if there is a lot of logic in coaching hires, but it is clear to me that it is time to try again.

At this point there are no guarantees that Frost wins as many in 5 years as Riley did in 3.

Last edited:

Let's assume they beat Purdue, and lose to Wisconsin Iowa and Ohio State. That puts them at 4 wins for the season, one better than last year, one less than his best year. Or even if they also beat Wisconsin and get to 5.

And let's assume you are a 4 star prospect (problem free 5s won't even look this way). Would you really take that as a sign that the program is on the way up and should be a school you would consider? Would you only look at the last 4 games in a 4 year coaching history to decide how good a coach is at the school?

I think there is a reason we have a worse than hoped for recruiting class so far, and the last 4 games of this season won't change that. If we sweep the 4, maybe then. anything else, no juice. Iowa may be a two or three loss team when we play them.

We are not a first choice school any longer with this coach.
Don’t forget Nebraska only played 8 games last year.

I didn't say wait a few more years. I think you give him one more year. Yes, any coach not named Scott Frost is probably gone. But it is Scott Frost. You give him an extra year you wouldn't give someone with no ties to program.
How much more objective data do you need to see before you realize the Frost era is an absolute failure?

Four more games against ranked teams so you can see "close one score losses" and call that progress?

Pay the man and move on, DONU deserves better!

239288424_10226280506780349_8849411300658286438_n.jpg

Attachments

• 239288424_10226280506780349_8849411300658286438_n.jpg
    239288424_10226280506780349_8849411300658286438_n.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 28

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back