• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost was offered the Florida job

redwinghusker

All Big 10
10 Year Member
I wonder what would have happened had UF said bring your whole coaching staff? I still think they end up at NU, but you never know.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_4c714455-2004-573a-92c8-087aa48add3d.html

Nebraska tight ends coach Sean Beckton dropped an interesting piece of information in Blair, divulging that Scott Frost was in fact offered the coaching job at Florida. But, according to Beckton, Florida would not have allowed Frost to bring his entire UCF staff. So Frost said no.

Beckton said the entire UCF coaching staff was “pretty involved” during the final few weeks of the season in the decision to come to Nebraska. Beckton said there was a meeting in which Frost asked the entire staff who would join him in Nebraska, and all the coaches went around and, as Beckton said, “committed.”

Reading this definitely raised an eyebrow. I took it as the reason they didn't go to Florida was Frost could not take his whole staff. Meaning if he could take his whole staff he takes the job?

Reading this definitely raised an eyebrow. I took it as the reason they didn't go to Florida was Frost could not take his whole staff. Meaning if he could take his whole staff he takes the job?
Good point but it seemed like all the open coaching positions were moving so fast (and that train wreck, Tennessee was the worst) that I would wonder if he wouldn't have ended up at Nebraska anyway. Have faith in the Moos.

Read that today as well. Seems we were told by some on the board just a month ago that Frost had no other offers, no interest in anywhere but NU, and was ours once Eichorst left.

Seems Moos may have had to do some work. Who knew? I’m glad he had the flexibility and foresight to let Scott pick his crew. Hard to believe someone from a 13-0 squad would present a problem for us in the future, but we can be patient if he has to make a move or 2. No guarantee he would have taken the UF offer, but seems a silly place to draw your red line.

I wonder how much UF was offering?
IIRC, someone here was pushing a "SF is insincere and is all about the money"-type agenda.

Last edited:

The article doesn't actually confirm that he had an offer. He may have asked about his coaching staff before getting a formal offer and cut off talks when they said "no".

It definitely doesn't confirm that he would've taken an offer if they had said "yes".

While Frost likely talked with a few schools toward the end of the season, I doubt Frost would have seriously considered taking any other openings until he knew for sure NU wasn't going to be open. This was his preferred job as he's stated many times.

Who knows? I think it was destined that he end up here...he got paid, all of his assistants came, and he has the comfort factor here - he was gushing about turkey hunting with TO. Timing and everything else lined up perfect in this case!

Well we know the talks were far enough along that they were already talking staffing. I would say there was some serious thinking going on by SF

Well we know the talks were far enough along that they were already talking staffing. I would say there was some serious thinking going on by SF
Agreed. If you have no interest at all, why ask the question? Smart to keep his options open until a deal was done.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back