• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost set for at least 4 more years

I'd agree with you if the Huskers were the only team affected. Sub-500 in year 3 would be a real problem on more than just a fan level, gotta believe recruits don't dig losing seasons and no bowls. I gave Frost and his staff a pass on year 1, was really disappointed in year 2 and won't excuse being out coached and losing to teams we have a talent advantage over in year 3.
Talent advantage? I can’t think of many.

Looking at ONE SCORE games over the past 10 years is very interesting. I would be interested in posters thoughts on these numbers.

2019- 1 of 5
2018- 1of 6
2017- 1 of 3
2016- 1 of 6
2015- 1 of 5
Last 5 years 5 of 25

2014- 1of 3
2013- 4 of 5
2012- 4 of 5
2011- 2 of 3
2010- 0 of 3 * ( includes conference championship loss to Oklahoma )
First 5 years 11 of 19

What does this say about the program over the past 10 years?
Pederson is when it all started. His ego hit the panic button when he fired Frankie.

Last edited:
Not sure, Nebraska doesn't win a lot of close games? I don't think you can just point to one score games as a litmus test of how good a program or coach is.

For instance, 2012 they won 4 of 5 one score games which is great, but also lost 38-63 to Ohio State, 31-70 to Wisconsin and 31-45 to Georgia. Then in 2016 they lost 5 of 6 close games, but was ranked as high as #7 in the country, went to a bowl game and was the last Nebraska team to be ranked at the end of the year. Without a deep dive into the numbers, you can make the stats say whatever you want.

In my mind, its not debatable that the Nebraska Football program is getting better with Coach Frost, the players are getting better, recruiting is getting better, the facilities are getting better, the coaching staff is getting better, and eventually the number of wins will get better. What's debatable is how long it will take, but I'm confident over the next four years with Coach Frost we are in great shape.

Looking at ONE SCORE games over the past 10 years is very interesting. I would be interested in posters thoughts on these numbers.

2019- 1 of 5
2018- 1of 6
2017- 1 of 3
2016- 1 of 6
2015- 1 of 5
Last 5 years 5 of 25

2014- 1of 3
2013- 4 of 5
2012- 4 of 5
2011- 2 of 3
2010- 0 of 3 * ( includes conference championship loss to Oklahoma )
First 5 years 11 of 19

What does this say about the program over the past 10 years?

Not sure, Nebraska doesn't win a lot of close games? I don't think you can just point to one score games as a litmus test of how good a program or coach is.

For instance, 2012 they won 4 of 5 one score games which is great, but also lost 38-63 to Ohio State, 31-70 to Wisconsin and 31-45 to Georgia. Then in 2016 they lost 5 of 6 close games, but was ranked as high as #7 in the country, went to a bowl game and was the last Nebraska team to be ranked at the end of the year. Without a deep dive into the numbers, you can make the stats say whatever you want.

In my mind, its not debatable that the Nebraska Football program is getting better with Coach Frost, the players are getting better, recruiting is getting better, the facilities are getting better, the coaching staff is getting better, and eventually the number of wins will get better. What's debatable is how long it will take, but I'm confident over the next four years with Coach Frost we are in great shape.
Nice perspective Jeremy

Maybe I'm wrong but I figure on a team level we had more talent than teams like Colorado, Indiana and Purdue. Or maybe I'm living in the past and am in denial.
We would all like to think we have more talent. However, how many first team all conference, all Americans or NFL draftees have we had in recent years. We do not have one player currently who could have started on those teams of the 1990s.

We would all like to think we have more talent. However, how many first team all conference, all Americans or NFL draftees have we had in recent years. We do not have one player currently who could have started on those teams of the 1990s.

Just give us another couple of years. I agree that recruiting has definitely improved under Frost. If we can develop those guys up, we will start piling up the All-Americans and the NFL draftees. (Fingers crossed)

We have recruited better talent than those teams so either our evaluation of recruits has been lacking or our development. Maybe both? :mad:

Just give us another couple of years. I agree that recruiting has definitely improved under Frost. If we can develop those guys up, we will start piling up the All-Americans and the NFL draftees. (Fingers crossed)
We have recruited better talent than those teams so either our evaluation of recruits has been lacking or our development. Maybe both? :mad:

Our recruiting rankings the last 5 years need to be taken with an enormous grain of salt. Whatever ranked number is assigned should have a huge asterisk next to it. Yes all teams lose players, and I don't have the data for comparison, but it seems we've lost more than our fair share of players after signing day. It's obvious but we gotta keep em here if we expect development.

It will get better now that we have what appears to be a competent AD and a coach with a good amount of leeway. HC turnover can't be underestimated, even when the coach needs to go. There is still fallout that only time and consistency can repair.

Our recruiting rankings the last 5 years need to be taken with an enormous grain of salt. Whatever ranked number is assigned should have a huge asterisk next to it. Yes all teams lose players, and I don't have the data for comparison, but it seems we've lost more than our fair share of players after signing day. It's obvious but we gotta keep em here if we expect development.

It will get better now that we have what appears to be a competent AD and a coach with a good amount of leeway. HC turnover can't be underestimated, even when the coach needs to go. There is still fallout that only time and consistency can repair.
We're in some really scary territory then. Another couple of crap seasons and the higher tier talent won't sign up in the first place. At least that would solve our transfer problem. It would also make us Kansas-West.

I think it's probable losing spring and the likely weirdness of the upcoming season will hurt Nebraska relatively more than many teams since it's rebuilding. And even if it wasn't, I'd rather judge a coach on years where there isn't a huge, not football related and never likely to be repeated curve ball like this is.

So if performance is poor this year I'm not going to be judging on bottom line wins and losses. If there's clear football stupidity that would be different, if course.

But then almost whatever happens he will need to get a winning record in '21. Then in a couple more be in the Div race up til at least the end last game of the season, followed pretty quickly by the CCG.

Last edited:

Who’s fault is that? It all goes back to the head coach and his staff. I said maybe we weren’t evaluating well and if players are leaving I chalk that up to a component of bad evaluation.

I think it's probable losing spring and the likely weirdness of the upcoming season will hurt Nebraska relatively more than many teams since it's rebuilding. And even if it wasn't, I'd rather judge a coach on years where there isn't a huge, not football related and never likely to be repeated curve ball like this is.

So if performance is poor this year I'm not going to be judging on bottom line wins and losses. If there's clear football stupidity that would be different, if course.

But then almost whatever happens he will need to get a winning record in '21. Then in a couple more be in the Div race up til at least the end last game of the season, followed pretty quickly by the CCG.
Even if we have a winning record this year, a losing record in '21 may well spell doom for Frost & Co. No doubt the program was of the verge of being totally broken when he got here, but if it's still in that shape after four years I'm afraid he's not the right repairman.

I want to see improvement on the field this year. Bowl eligibility would be awesome.

But I also think we need to recognize the challenges that the pandemic has created for this team. No bowl practices. S&C curtailed. Uncertain nutrition. No Spielman (probably.) No spring practices = way less time for redshirts coming off the bench, new guys and new OC to gel.

These are not excuses, but cold, hard realities.

In this context, improvement on the field, even if not reflected in our W-L record, is what I’m looking for.

(Assuming there is a season.)

But don't those same "cold, hard realities " exist for all programs ?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back