• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost on football this fall

Maybe they could build longer urinal troughs? Assign everyone catheters? Reuse your Pepsi bottle?

No major spread occurred from outdoor protests. Not a single city has reported a rise from them. Not even from Trump's Tulsa rallies, which were going to infect the entire group. Not a peep anywhere about people getting the virus from those events.

And we want to act like going to a football game will result in an explosion of new cases?

Much of Europe and WHO only recommends 1 meter distance (Article). and their cases are going down. Maybe we are standing too far apart and that is the problem.

And what if everyone wore masks? The way they are being presented that should prevent any possibility of transmission.

I am not intending to be combative here, it just seems so obvious to me that attending a football game is an even less likely way to transmit than outdoor protests. And those didn't show any evidence of transmitting. Especially if you take precautions, the stadium is maybe half full, and you don't kiss strangers. But asserting that the winds in the stadium may spread the virus is misinformation. Or how long this virus can survive outside of a person on a fall day in the sun? (Article - hint: it dies outside in the sun in minutes)

And, again, do you know what a petri dish is? You are the second person to say they are alike so I will be annoying and dispute this because that idea is obviously catching on.

View attachment 46787
This is a petri dish. I was shocked when I found one online, because you are the second person to say they are like Memorial Stadium. I couldn't believe that they are in fact, tiny. And they have lids that must be put on, or they don't work since the stuff inside dries up, killing it all. And they have a nutrient-rich substrate that allows bacteria (not viruses) to grow on them. Yep, that is right. Viruses can't grow in Petri dishes. So if Memorial is in fact like a petri dish, then we are good to go!
View attachment 46788
This is Memorial Stadium. If you notice, there is no lid. and it is huge. No nutrient rich material, known as agar, which can't grow viruses anyway, since a virus is not able to survive outside a host. Oh, and based on a few measurements, well over 25K could be inside the stands and still have over 6 feet in between them, which is double what the WHO recommends for social distancing.

We can't act like going to Memorial Stadium cannot be done safely. It can. This why they are hopeful for games in the fall. It can be done safely.

The misinformation just gets to me, sometimes! I talk to so many people who will literally not go on a walk around a lake by them self with out fear of getting the virus and I just want to bring some reason to the whole conversation. Frost talked about having football in the fall because they are (hopefully) operating with an understanding of some of these things and not trying to make fear-based decisions!

I feel like a need a thread ban or something so I can stop responding to all of this!

First of all, me incorrectly using a metaphor is not spreading misinformation. I’m sorry that you are so upset by that that you bothered to waste ten minutes of your life typing all that. Second, I want there to be football this fall as much as ANYONE on the planet, but my “opinion” is that it will be incredibly risky to have a lot of people in a stadium, whether it’s 1000 or 100000 people. If I’m wrong, GREAT!

GBR

One of the oldest aphorisms in sports is to respect your opponent. America didn’t respect COVID-19—not enough to stay quarantined and wear masks and do what it had to do. Complacency, arrogance and stubbornness didn’t get the job done, and now the increasingly costly bills for that disrespect are coming due.

I'm actually starting to think that in 2021 people will find it hard to believe anyone thought there would be any major team sports in the US before a vaccine. And I’m talking about the big sports, not cornhole or cliff diving.

We aren't going to have a vaccine this fall, likely not next year, and maybe not ever. Still no vaccine for SARS1 and for many other similar viruses. So what is the exit strategy here?

Where are you seeing that we may never have a vaccine for covid? Unless something drastically changed in the last few hours, I’m pretty sure there are several companies working on it and at least one has had (so far) successful trials. Yes, it takes time, but “maybe never” is not real accurate.

First of all, me incorrectly using a metaphor is not spreading misinformation. I’m sorry that you are so upset by that that you bothered to waste ten minutes of your life typing all that. Second, I want there to be football this fall as much as ANYONE on the planet, but my “opinion” is that it will be incredibly risky to have a lot of people in a stadium, whether it’s 1000 or 100000 people. If I’m wrong, GREAT!

GBR

Yeah, I hear you. After my post was written I knew it was coming across way to combative, but I had already written it so I posted it anyway after adding one last line about not being so argumentative.

No need for me to compare Memorial to a Petri dish like that. You guys were just making a point.

I see the risks as far less than a lot of people see them. We both hope they are as low as possible and that we can all move forward with football and a return to a healthy society!

Where are you seeing that we may never have a vaccine for covid? Unless something drastically changed in the last few hours, I’m pretty sure there are several companies working on it and at least one has had (so far) successful trials. Yes, it takes time, but “maybe never” is not real accurate.

I agree. The reason there is no Sars1 vaccine is that it just disappeared. While they were working on it the number of cases went to zero. There was no reason to continue on a vaccine. They will get a vaccine for
COVID-19, the only question is when.

Multiple drug companies have been conducting human trials for a couple of months now so I have no idea where this talk of no vaccine is coming from. Should be no later than Spring of 2021 depending on what allowances are made compared to traditional time lines. But a vaccine is on the way sometime in 2021.

It would be interesting if someone was "smart" enough to take a nationwide poll and compare 2 parties differing attitudes about the virus--even when we have a vaccine, over 50% of us won't get the vaccine, just like the annual flu shots. I would hazard to guess that it would be about 35% who will get the vaccine.

Red - I saw somewhere recently a prediction that it might get as high as 50% which I think is higher than the flu shots get (among adults in a recent year - 35-40%).

The disease that could have killed a whole lot of us off was measles, but we had a very successful vaccination program for that and effectively eliminated it in the U.S. by the year 2000. Absent the vaccination program, we would still be be killing off around at least 500 every year (mainly children) and causing a large number of others to live with swollen brains.

Already the anti vaccine groups are spreading their stuff on social media. They could ensure that the virus sticks around forever.

My wife and I got the flu shot last September. I got the Flu around Thanksgiving. My wife got a different strain around Christmas. We never used to bother with Flu shots, but as we're both now in our 50's and visit the grand kids frequently, it just seems prudent.

there has never been a successful vaccine for a virus in the coronavirus family. Sure they may get something out, but I doubt it and not anytime soon, and not anything I'd ever sign up to take early on in the process

Maybe that is why the same people making the definition of close contact recommend face coverings to slow those dangerous sneezes. 27 feet/sec x 60 sec/min x 60 min/hr = 97,200 feet per hour. dive that by 5280 ft/mile = 18.41 miles per hour your sneeze traveled. Check my math, but it doesn't appear close to 100 mph.

Using this logic a bullet shot from a gun would never touch the ground. I bet someone at MIT could check your math.

A study from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology noted that germs from one sneeze could travel from 19 to 26 feet. What’s also unfortunate is how fast these germs travel: A sneeze can move 100 miles per hour, which makes getting away from someone when they sneeze close to impossible.

I know, I know, you didn't come to play no school.

Last edited:
Using this logic a bullet shot from a gun would never touch the ground. I bet someone at MIT could check your math.

I know, I know, you didn't come to play no school.

My math is fine...and correct. Your two quotes refer to different things.
1. Germs can travel 19-26 feet. (no mention on how long that takes)
2. A sneeze can move 100 mph. (a sneeze can't move...it is the forceful expulsion of air...so the air may move 100 mph, but once physics kicks in, it is decelerating rapidly and by the time it is inches from one's mouth, the air is no where near 100 mph.)

As for the bullet never touching the ground, well, that makes no sense. Unless you shoot it in a vacuum and gravity doesn't affect it. I won't go into physics here since multiplication didn't seem to matter.

You're right, it doesn't make sense, which is why I applied it to your logic.

Well count me corrected. And here I was worried because a sneeze travelling over 100 mph and up to 27 feet in less than a second was a concern......

The original quote in question uses the word "AND" meaning "in addition to" AND "separate"

I did not use the word "AT" which would have been applicable to what you were trying to replicate through your waste of time math.

Your reading skills are not on par with your math my friend.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back