• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost on football this fall

I haven't seen any data at all to indicate that a college age or HS age athlete is at any real risk from this, certainly not as much risk they are at from the flu, for instance. And that's regardless of race

Fauci also stresses there are other outcomes besides death that young people can face, including coronavirus-related brain damage.

A dozen patients had inflammation of the central nervous system, 10 had brain disease with delirium or psychosis, eight had strokes and a further eight had peripheral nerve problems, mostly diagnosed as Guillain-Barré syndrome, an immune reaction that attacks the nerves and causes paralysis. It is fatal in 5% of cases.
“We’re seeing things in the way Covid-19 affects the brain that we haven’t seen before with other viruses,” said Michael Zandi, a senior author on the study and a consultant at the institute and University College London Hospitals NHS foundation trust.

“What we’ve seen with some of these Adem patients, and in other patients, is you can have severe neurology, you can be quite sick, but actually have trivial lung disease,” he added.

So what decisions should individuals make "for the good of society"? Don't drive vehicles (fossil fuel emissions, etc), don't eat meat (inefficiency of protein production compared to plants), don't buy anything made in China (unless society condones oppressive communist regimes). How many of those decisions are you making each and every day for the good of society? Is anyone making all of those decisions and many similar ones?

I guess if you are against individual choice it says alot.
You obliterated your straw man. There’s nothing left for me to comment on.

But on the topic we were actually discussing: Wear a mask. Social distance. Listen to experts. Recognize this ain’t the flu, and help protect society from its single greatest immediate threat right now. And, by the way, get Husker football back.

So, yeah, those decisions.

I haven't seen any data at all to indicate that a college age or HS age athlete is at any real risk from this, certainly not as much risk they are at from the flu, for instance. And that's regardless of race

There is a mountain of data supporting that they are not at nearly as big of a risk from this as the flu and driving cars.

1. The original question I answered was your question "Who wants to be the coach of a kid who dies? "
2. In regards to a "kid" Covid is much less dangerous than the flu, the data I posted and the data from virtually EVERY COUNTRY in the world supports what I said and posted

One of the huge problems we have had is in not making policy based on the way in which risk is affected by age during this outbreak. As it is, 50% of the deaths will almost certainly be people in nursing homes (and the number's likely higher, but NY and other states are making it difficult to see how many nursing home residents actually died).

Why is that important? Because nursing home residents make up less than 0.5% of the population and are making up 50% of the deaths. The risk related to covid goes up rapidly after age 50 and almost exponentially after 70. Median age of death is over 80 in many states and some states have had more people over 100 die than under 45 (I'll give you some guesses on how many people make up each of those populations in the state of Pennsylvania, for instance)

Back to the original question of kids, though. It's not dangerous at all, and is much less dangerous than the flu for anyone of college age and younger (as shown clearly by the numbers I posted and the numbers that are readily available).

As for older people, It's dangerous, but how dangerous is a discussion for elsewhere as this is focused on whether or not there is a danger to kids playing football (or going to school)

Well said and thank you for the time you put into it.
At this time we dont know final numbers, we don't know if the virus will mutate and change like the Spanish Flu did in the fall of it's first year and we don't fully understand what long lasting effects it can cause and has caused. We now know this is not a respiratory disease. It's a blood vessel disease in lay terms. It kills tissue via a clotting pathway and kills it's victims it does kill in a similar matter....heart attacks, strokes, pulmonary embolisms, etc. It effects multiple organs systems and may cause permanent damage. It effects people with some blood types more than others. It effects certain genotypes more than others. So far, for the most part it effects the older population much more than the younger population. But the virus is novel. No one knows for sure what the full effects of this virus will be in the end.

Here's the problem with the argument that young people face minimal danger from Covid-19 ...

They spread the virus.

Most of the current significant uptick in case numbers is among people in their 20s and 30s. Covid was somewhat in control in states like Florida, Texas, and Arizona a couple months ago. But as soon as these states opened back up in May, the young people returned to life as normal almost immediately. Large social gatherings became commonplace. And soon after, the numbers ramped up. See, a lot of young people have the attitude that it's not going to affect me, so why worry?!

Austin is a prime example, as it has the highest percentage of Millennials of any city in the U.S.. Two months ago, Austin's Covid positivity rate was just below 5% -- which is the threshold to determine if the spread is under control or not. Now, it's at 30%. That means 30% of the people in Austin that get tested for Covid test positive. That means the spread is out of control. To the point that contact tracing no longer works. Covid is so darn prevalent in this city that now many more people who may be much more susceptible to serious consequences from Covid find it much more difficult to avoid due to the spread caused by a bunch of young people who didn't care about anyone but themselves. And now we are on the verge of hospitals reaching max capacity and the local government is suggesting we may have to shut down yet again to attempt to contain the spread.

It's all about the spread! Unless people are just okay saying "hey, you older folk and those of you who may be more prone regardless of age -- just stay home indefinitely because the young selfish people don't care and are continuing to spread the virus at a rapid rate." Seems to be where we are headed. And it's obviously not just a problem in Austin.

So yeah, go ahead and let young people play sports. Just make me a deal that you'll box them up when they are done practicing and playing a game.

Last edited:

From the CDC itself, hospitalization rates etc.

If I am a young athlete of color, I want to see family etc to some degree and not feel like I am endangering them especially when you are 5 times the risk. Big consideration when we still don't know definitively where this is taking us, but 131k+ fellow Americans passing gives pause for thought is all.

One of the oldest aphorisms in sports is to respect your opponent. America didn’t respect COVID-19—not enough to stay quarantined and wear masks and do what it had to do. Complacency, arrogance and stubbornness didn’t get the job done, and now the increasingly costly bills for that disrespect are coming due.

the question is "stay quarantined and wear masks and do what it had to do" until WHEN?

We aren't going to have a vaccine this fall, likely not next year, and maybe not ever. Still no vaccine for SARS1 and for many other similar viruses. So what is the exit strategy here?

The stay home and flatten the curve argument was to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. Despite the media trying to panic everyone about Florida and TX, there is ICU capacity there (despite 60+% of the ICU beds being taken up with non-Covid patients (not to mention hospitals have surge capacities and typically run at 95% capacity at all times -- it's not an economically viable option to keep a bunch of open ICU beds and run at 50% capacity)

No serious observer has really suggested that "track and trace" work when the level if infection rises as high as it has (and likely as high as it was before we even identified a case in the US).

The CDC had a paper a few years ago that made the statement that once 1% of a population was hit with it, track and trace options are virtually useless. We're seeing that across the world now where countries that limited impact are getting hit again (see Israel), some countries might have some built in immunity from other corona-viruses (e.g., SARS1), but otherwise it's hitting the population and only diminishing when it gets to 15-25% of the target population, depending on whether or not extreme the circumstances are for spreading it (e.g, it isn't the same if you are spending an hour on a NY subway versus walking through a small town in Nebraska with a lot of space between you and everyone else).

Biggest differences appear to be how good a job countries do in protecting the vulnerable and how many vulnerable they really have due to the severity of the past couple of flu seasons in that population (counting differences across countries aren't a good indicator and we have to look at all cause mortality and judge accordingly)

The concern is the travel. If you can schedule regional games where you bus the team in and out the same day, then you minimize contact. No flying, no airports, no hotels, etc.

Bussing the Huskers would be no safer than flying. They don't normally enter a terminal, and walk directly from the bus onto the aircraft. Not to mention the fact that air quality and filtration on an aircraft is far better, busses don't filter air at all. The hotel piece can be a concern though.

herd immunity, we will lose some people that are close to us that are in danger, I have a sister that couldn't take it. But I don't think that she would want her niece and nephew to be captive and not paricipate in life (school, sports, etc.) because she can't .
Unfortunately, there is some evidence that shows that individuals may not be able to develop immunity to covid 19. It could just be a seasonal thing. So far, the season seems to be year round. Hopefully, it will be disappear like the 1918 epidemic did.

Unfortunately, there is some evidence that shows that individuals may not be able to develop immunity to covid 19. It could just be a seasonal thing. So far, the season seems to be year round. Hopefully, it will be disappear like the 1918 epidemic did.
Yep reports now of people being reinfected as the antibodies do not last as long as originally thought.

2nd go around as reported seems worse than the first

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back