• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost on football this fall

I hate it when people use the "car crashes and heart attacks and regular flu blah blah blah" excuses. You realize (as you point out) those things happen anyway and covid deaths are in ADDITION to all that, right? So we just keep adding on ways to die that can (somewhat) be mitigated?

In 2019 there were not 130K+ covid deaths in the US. This year there will be, and likely a lot more.

Then why aren't there 130K+ more deaths than the 5 year average at this time of year? We are on track for about the same number of deaths this year as a couple years ago when you look at all deaths.

You say 130K+ deaths on top of the typical numbers? You must not be paying attention.

Last edited:

Which high contact college sports have been happening since March? Maybe this has something to do with why there hasn't been a big issue yet? Didn't football teams only recently get back together?

If a team of people who don't have covid play football against another team who also doesn't suit up anyone with covid, guess how many will have covid after the game.

And the point wasn't about getting it. It was about getting seriously ill, needing hospitalized and tragically dying. Even if there is an increased chance of getting it, there is not an increased chance of getting seriously ill from it. No CFB players have gotten ill enough to be hospitalized yet, even though many have gotten it. No one would think that they would suddenly start getting sicker than they have been getting. Unless they were looking for an angle. No hospitalizations or deaths yet = no reason to think there will be unless you look at things other than statistics, science, and reason.

Last edited:
I disagree. Sitting around with a group of 90,000 other people is like a petri dish. Why do you suppose large gatherings are discouraged during this pandemic?

Have you ever seen a petri dish before? A football stadium is not like a petri dish. These kinds of statements are not accurate and push an untruthful narrative that increases fear, not logic. Going to a gigantic, outdoor facility where people can easily social distance is not like being in a petri dish. I sure hope the people who are making these decisions understand these things.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it's not looking good.

"There are very real discussions about playing a regional schedule if you can get away with it. One Big Ten school in the West Division supposedly has a tentative regional schedule in place, including, according to a source at that school, "multiple games against FCS schools."

Other Big Ten schools are thinking about scrapping the year altogether."

There are very real discussions about playing a regional schedule if you can get away with it. One Big Ten school in the West Division supposedly has a tentative regional schedule in place, including, according to a source at that school, "multiple games against FCS schools."
An interesting way to preserve the season. Just a quick google map check. Schools that are approximately 6 hours or less away from Lincoln: Iowa, Iowa State, northern Iowa, U South Dakota, South Dakota State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Missouri State, and Minnesota.

OU, OSU, Arkansas, North Dakota State, North Dakota are all pushing closer to 7 hour drive.
Wyoming, CSU, and Colorado are just over 7 hours.

Now that was using google maps assuming a car. I figure with a bus you probably need to add 1-2 extra hours.

Last edited:
I hate it when people use the "car crashes and heart attacks and regular flu blah blah blah" excuses. You realize (as you point out) those things happen anyway and covid deaths are in ADDITION to all that, right? So we just keep adding on ways to die that can (somewhat) be mitigated?

In 2019 there were not 130K+ covid deaths in the US. This year there will be, and likely a lot more.

Welcome to the new world. Covid isn't going back into whatever bottle it came from. In essence, as we live life, we do in fact add different ways to die. By inventing the automobile and airplane, we invented a couple right there. I hear the same people complaining about how bad Covid is with that fact that it isn't going away....yet they fail to understand, it isn't going away. Immunity will help, but the disease is here to stay, in all likelihood.

Do you think the chances of getting a virus are the same if you walk by a guy on the street as they are from sitting with 90 thousand people in a stadium?

How many of those 90,000 are you really interacting with? I'm guessing people will interact with about the same number of people if they watch the game at a bar, have a watch party, or go to a large chain store.

What about the vulnerable people around you? You get to decide their fate? There is a middle ground here. We need to find it.

The vulnerable people need to be the ones staying home, isolating, and wearing masks.

COVID is basically influenza-C. We don't shut down for influenza, whether we have a good vaccine, or a crummy one.

Get on livin' or get on dyin'

If a team of people who don't have covid play football against another team who also doesn't suit up anyone with covid, guess how many will have covid after the game.

And the point wasn't about getting it. It was about getting seriously ill, needing hospitalized and tragically dying. Even if there is an increased chance of getting it, there is not an increased chance of getting seriously ill from it. No CFB players have gotten ill enough to be hospitalized yet, even though many have gotten it. No one would think that they would suddenly start getting sicker than they have been getting. Unless they were looking for an angle. No hospitalizations or deaths yet = no reason to think there will be unless you look at things other than statistics, science, and reason.

The survival rate for anyone under 40 is 99.8%. I think I read that somewhere.

Last edited:
The chance of dying for anyone under 40 is 99.8%. I think I read that somewhere.
I'm guessing you mean "chance of not dying".

Forgive me if I missed it, but can we all agree that if there are fans at a college football game this fall, face masks should be required? And people leave them on the entire time from before the game to when they return to their vehicle afterwards.

Unfortunately, it's not looking good.

"There are very real discussions about playing a regional schedule if you can get away with it. One Big Ten school in the West Division supposedly has a tentative regional schedule in place, including, according to a source at that school, "multiple games against FCS schools."

Other Big Ten schools are thinking about scrapping the year altogether."

I posted about this in HT a bit ago. Harvard just announced online only classes for the entire year, and the Ivy League is set to vote this week to postpone/cancel the fall sports season. No school wants to be the first domino to fall, but I think the Ivy League will take that pressure off everyone else. I believe the Ivy League was the first to cancel its basketball tournament in March. By the end of next week, there's going to be a lot of unwelcome news for college athletics.

I can't stress enough how unbelievably exhausting it will be on a daily basis for student-athletes, coaching staffs, AT's and support staff to forge through for a fall sports season. The amount of work it will take is just too time consuming and costly for most colleges, and that's before an outbreak occurs, and there will be outbreaks. Not at every school, but some will be hit harder than others.

My job revolves around college athletics, so it brings me no joy to be this pessimistic. I'm a firm believer that society needs to get back to normal at some point, and the on-campus college experience, and college athletics is part of that. Then this hits at UW. That's not a good look for encouraging kids to move back into dorms.

@Porkchopexpress

Reasonable take. Well thought out.

There are going to be positives in this age group, school or no school. Take a look around the country and pay attention to what teens and young adults are doing. They are not staying home. They’re not going to stay home. They’re going to spike positives with or without school and/or athletics. They might as well go to school and play sports if they’re going to be exposing themselves to the virus anyway. I understand that it’s not a popular take, but I think it’s honest and based in reality.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back