• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost Koolaid

I don't post much, and I know I will get blasted, but it took 14 years to drive this program into the ground. Is the "honeymoon period" over? Most definitely. Now by honeymoon period i mean totally stupid and unrealistic expectations. I am a coach like I know some of you are, (and no little league rec ball doesn't count) if you have stepped into a bad culture it is going to take time. Two, three, even four years is what got us in this situation. This is a long term build. Again sorry if i ruffled any feathers of the armchair coach keyboard jockeys out there.

I don't post much, and I know I will get blasted, but it took 14 years to drive this program into the ground. Is the "honeymoon period" over? Most definitely. Now by honeymoon period i mean totally stupid and unrealistic expectations. I am a coach like I know some of you are, (and no little league rec ball doesn't count) if you have stepped into a bad culture it is going to take time. Two, three, even four years is what got us in this situation. This is a long term build. Again sorry if i ruffled any feathers of the armchair coach keyboard jockeys out there.

I agree with this. Culture can be a major issue in programs and the culture that we all think when we hear Nebraska Football hasn't been there for a decade and half.

Frost came out of the winning Culture we associate with Nebraska Football and he is going to have to restart it seemingly from the ground up. There are some new challenges installing this culture that Osborn didn't have to deal with but I think Frost knows what winning looks like and he knows what winning takes and I think he will get the job of restarting the culture at Nebraska. It is going to take some time.

I think our bigger issue is development, when people say we had no talent we have consistently out recruited the teams that were beating us, so there is talent. It has been a development issue for the last 15 years.
Try more like six years and you would be right.

If you did do that then indeed you would be in the 1% right category. And so far, you’d be correct. Everyone would say NU has had disappointing results to this point. Frost prolly had a 99% approval rate, upon his hiring. I don’t personally remember anyone on this board suggesting much other course.
I did not laugh at the fact that Frost was hired. I laughed at the unreasonable expectations of many on this board with their outlandish predictions.

I think your comments are fair, but so is the criticism of the lack of progress. The early expectations of 10 plus wins and conference championships were complete crap and yes, culture has something to do with that. IMO it doesn't take four years to go from a bad culture and playing losing football to a good culture and playing winning football. Shouldn't take more than a couple of years, honestly. That's not to say this team should be 12-0 good next year, but 5-7 last year was underperforming, culture or not. We should see the culture flip really complete by this fall. He's flushed the roster nearly in it's entirety and will have three full off seasons to work with what's left and the kids he and his staff have brought in. If there is a culture problem this fall, it's his culture problem.

I still think he's the right guy for the job and thing it's a 'long term build' as well, but that's as it relates to conference championship contention. He needs to win football games. This fall.

No reason to be scared. I think this year if Martinez struggles they do put Vedral or McCaffrey in earlier. No reason now to worry about the 4 game redshirt rule, especially with Smothers.
Scarred, not scared. Scarred by watching poor QB play after poor QB play last year.

I agree to an extent but I do feel more comfortable with our QB room at this point than I did in the past.
There is reason for optimism about the QB room and that conventional wisdom would say the starting QB has a shorter leash this year, but I'm going to need to see it.

I think your comments are fair, but so is the criticism of the lack of progress. The early expectations of 10 plus wins and conference championships were complete crap and yes, culture has something to do with that. IMO it doesn't take four years to go from a bad culture and playing losing football to a good culture and playing winning football. Shouldn't take more than a couple of years, honestly. That's not to say this team should be 12-0 good next year, but 5-7 last year was underperforming, culture or not. We should see the culture flip really complete by this fall. He's flushed the roster nearly in it's entirety and will have three full off seasons to work with what's left and the kids he and his staff have brought in. If there is a culture problem this fall, it's his culture problem.

I still think he's the right guy for the job and thing it's a 'long term build' as well, but that's as it relates to conference championship contention. He needs to win football games. This fall.

In a perfect world, yes, culture could be changed more quickly, but when dealing with college age kids it can certainly take more time. When you look at the way rosters are constructed, a group of freshmen who redshirt and have 2 years of bad culture may not understand when they are Jr and Sr what the "good" is supposed to look like. Since the upperclassmen are usually the leaders and tone setters, that means even if the culture is changing for the better, there is still that history among the most influential leaders.

Sure, some will get it quicker and some will be gone, but still a challenge for those tasked with setting the tone to completely understand what that tone should be after experiencing so much wrong.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back